The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treating depression with means other than pharmacy medications

2 posters

Go down

Treating depression with means other than pharmacy medications Empty Treating depression with means other than pharmacy medications

Post by logical-cents Fri May 01, 2009 4:40 am

Has anyone here tried or know some who has tried treating depression with other means? Like either changing diet or herbal medications or the likes and had any success?
logical-cents
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Treating depression with means other than pharmacy medications Empty Re: Treating depression with means other than pharmacy medications

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2009 8:08 am

LC, I do know you need to stay away from anything with St Johns Wort in it.It is ok for the blues but there is a MOH warning out for it in relation to clinical depression.I talked to a psychraist (sp?) about this and he said there were no alternatives but then they tend to injore the holistic health side of things.Try this website geoff found: http://www.naturaltherapypages.co.nz/Diet and exercise does play a big role in mood.

Back to top Go down

Treating depression with means other than pharmacy medications Empty Re: Treating depression with means other than pharmacy medications

Post by logical-cents Fri May 01, 2009 8:14 am

Thanks roswell. I do walk and do kung fu as well in regards to exercise. Had tried St Johns Wort in the past and it didn't do anything. Will take a look at that site tomorrow
logical-cents
logical-cents

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Fri May 01, 2009 8:21 am

The Medsafe site has an Info Sheet relating to the use of St Johns Wart and meds.

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/leaflets/sjw.asp
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2009 12:20 pm

logic, I think its great that you are looking at other ways to help with your depression. Diet and exercise have been proven to play a big part. I strongly believe in the talking and thinking therapies.

I know for me at least, a lot of my depression is based on unhealthy thinking patterns, and I really find it helps when I have a therapists that challenges the way i think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi there, this is an interesting thread... I don't want to go to the dox so I don't get prescribed drugs...so alternate therapy is good.

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents Sat May 02, 2009 4:29 am

Thanks. I don't know what really caused my depression, had been told it was a chemical imbalance which medication would fix so not sure whether anything else would work, but want to try as I hate taking tablets at the best of times so the thought of having to take one tablet every day for the rest of my life kinda makes me feel sick.

I've thought of mention it to my doc to see if he has any ideas, but kinda afraid that he'll just laugh at me and say that nothing else will work except medication.
logical-cents
logical-cents

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down