The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bi-polar 2 and medications

2 posters

Go down

Bi-polar 2 and medications Empty Bi-polar 2 and medications

Post by Martinc Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi Paddy - I've been here before and now I'm needing help again.
I have very little trust in the psychiatrist I'm seeing. He's just a 'chemist'. When I tell him I'm getting suicidal his response is - 'well we'll just give you a little more of this and a little less of that, come back in a month and let me know if it has helped'.
Last year I was in TWA (Lower Hutt psych unit) following a suicide attempt that was intercepted by my daughter. In nearly a month of treatment no-one, and I mean no-one, asked me WHY I had done it.
The current cocktail of medications leave me feeling flat, low and isolated from the real world.
What would happen if I stopped taking them completely? Anythiing would be better than how I feel right now.
MartinC

Martinc

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down

Bi-polar 2 and medications Empty Re: Bi-polar 2 and medications

Post by Paddy Tue May 01, 2012 12:00 pm

G’day there mate – yeah, I remember ya. Its good to see you back here, using our place again.

Hmmm, you ask me things I am not qualified or competent to answer, my friend. I am not a medical practitioner in any shape or form – I’m just me, a bloke trying to do me best as and how I can.

There are some things I will say, though; but just as me, Paddy. A bloke with mental illness and physical disabilities and no medical or related qualifications at all.

You are still able to have inputs into your moods and feelings. The pills can’t and won’t do it all and I suspect we all have to fight against those ‘Ah bugger it, I’m feeling crap so I might as well stop them’ moments.’ I had a really big one of those moments in January. And I did stop. And I didn’t thrive. And I didn’t enjoy anything except not enjoying anything. I stayed away from this place for weeks. I slowly remembered why I take the anti-mads and made a doctors appointment and asked for more please. With Repeats. I certainly know if I miss a day.

You can decide its all blah so whats the point, or you can decide that yeah its blah at times, but it doesn’t have to be and it doesn’t have to be all the time. We each have an obligation to make an effort to find that smile that’s waiting to be noticed. Unless we don’t want to, I guess?

If I was having difficulty communicating with a medical professional, I think I’d write them a letter, saying exactly what you are saying here, Martin and expand on that as is necessary. But politely. Ask him specific questions and require that he answers you - in writing so its all nice and clear. Its one of the rights the HDC guarantees – to communicate in a manner understandable by you etc - http://www.hdc.org.nz/media/123229/english-leaflet.pdf

Martin, I’m glad you spoke up, my friend. Keep in touch here, and please let us know how (and what) you’re doing. S’not fun all the time being us but ‘tis doable and beats most alternatives, I reckon on sober reflection.

Gentle care eh, Martin.

Paddy.
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Martinc Thu May 03, 2012 2:14 am

Hi Paddy - thanks for all that.
I think I just wanted to get back to the forum and vent a few feelings.
I'm still here, still plodding on but not really feeling very flash right now.
I might go into some of that later, meanwhile, thanks to you and all the rest that keep this forum meaningful for me.

Martinc

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum