The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone else come from an alcoholic family ......

2 posters

Go down

Does anyone else come from an alcoholic family  ...... Empty Does anyone else come from an alcoholic family ......

Post by daze7 Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:49 am

I learnt quite a while ago that it had not been good for me to be brought up in an alcoholic family. The dynamics weren't good and relationships got 'skewed'. I have been surrounded by alcoholics most of my life! My first mother-in-law was a 'weekend' alcoholic - drunk from Friday night til sunday night (she was the victim of lots of abuse), my father, my older sister, one brother-in-law. (and both my grandfathers, although I never knew them). Obviously there is a generational problem in our family. I also used to drink. I chose to marry a man who was physically violent but got out of that marriage after 5 years. However, I got into a 'climate for growth' and started reading, counselling, going to courses and workshops, to try and 'pick up' my 'arrested deveopment' - caused by abuse from family members and others. Unfortunately none of my family members (including sisters) were at all supportive. There were times when I craved support and understanding from my Mother in particular but by then she was so 'addicted' to my father she wasn't available to me. There are many behaviours that I learned that are not very healthy. One was 'people-pleasing' and I still get annoyed with myself if I find I'm doing that! There are millions of us 'Adult Children of Alcoholics' in the world and I used to be actively involved in a 12 step programme and still use some of the strategies and slogans now.
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Does anyone else come from an alcoholic family  ...... Empty Re: Does anyone else come from an alcoholic family ......

Post by nzgirl Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:08 pm

I myself am not (other vices here) but my sister is. I'm slowly learning not to enable her. Twice this year - including my birthday we've ended up at the Police station or her being arrested after she's been drinking. She has BP so that isn't helping Sad Good on you for still using some of the steps today and I'm pretty sure there are many children of alcoholics groups I've seen about

nzgirl

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down