The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gene linked to mental illness not used by GPs in family histories

3 posters

Go down

Gene linked to mental illness not used by GPs in family histories Empty Gene linked to mental illness not used by GPs in family histories

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:31 am

Below is an intresting link to an article in todays Dominion Post.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/2573713/Gene-link-to-mental-illness

I have nenver been asked if mental health issues run in my family but both my biological mother and Nana both had/have mental health issues.

Back to top Go down

Gene linked to mental illness not used by GPs in family histories Empty Re: Gene linked to mental illness not used by GPs in family histories

Post by lil_miss_haley Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:58 am

Im the same rossy, my mum and my mums mum (my grandma) have both suffered from it. Not sure about anyone else, I only found out when I told my mum
lil_miss_haley
lil_miss_haley

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Gene linked to mental illness not used by GPs in family histories Empty Re: Gene linked to mental illness not used by GPs in family histories

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:30 am

hmmm interesting,

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:07 pm

Yes, in my family too there is a history. My father was possibly (very likely) manic depressive - medicated himself with alcohol.

My Mother experienced post natal depression after she had me. She was very isolated too which didn't help - my father was away at war. And she was certainly depressed (on anti-depressants) before she died. Living with an alcoholic can make one depressed.

My older sister is alcoholic and possibly depressed - like Dad, drinks to cover it.

One grandfather (Dad's father) was alcoholic/depressed - I have copies of medical records from Porirua hospital on his condition.

I can't remember being asked if there was/is a family history. I have certainly told doctors that there have been other family members, after I learnt a lot, for myself, about depression.

Daze
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:36 am

My doctors and counselors usually ask if there is mental illness in the family, and I tell them about my mother who is also very mentally unwell.

Back to top Go down

Post by _wizza_ Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:56 pm

yea im in the same boat as you all..my sister,mum and grandma also suffer from depression... my psycologist talks about the nature/nurture debate Exclamation
_wizza_
_wizza_

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:52 pm

hmmm interesting. I don't know that any of my family were clinically diagnosed with depression, but certainly they displayed signs of it,

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum