The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My partner has been diagnosed with depression

2 posters

Go down

My partner has been diagnosed with depression Empty My partner has been diagnosed with depression

Post by Kylie B Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:34 am

Hi there, im new to this site so I hope ive posted in the right place. My partner has had depression for about 6 months but has only just gone onto medication. Im trying very very hard to be loving and supportive of him during this time but im struggling severly at the moment, I find myself in tears more often than not now as I feel I have lost my best friend and I feel as if I have lost his trust but dont know why. He is a wonderful man and I love him very much so really do want to get through this tough time. I miss him so much and feel very lonely. I try to get out and about and keep to my normal life as much as possible, but whenever im away from him im thinking about him constantly. How do I help him but not lose the plot myself?

Kylie Embarassed

Kylie B

Back to top Go down

My partner has been diagnosed with depression Empty Re: My partner has been diagnosed with depression

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:15 am

Hi Kylie,

All you can do is be there for your partner. Be there and listen to him when he wants to talk and let him be when he doesnt feel like talking.

Something I found handy was a workbook called "the depression workbook". See if you partner is willing to do it. It just will help him understand his depression, trigger etc and if he shares this workbook with you you will understand it better. I shared mine with my ex.

As for keeping yourself safe make sure you have a support person or network yourself and treat yourself as well.

Back to top Go down

My partner has been diagnosed with depression Empty Re: My partner has been diagnosed with depression

Post by Will Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Glad to see you came in here after i linked this place for you Kylieb (it is Male_Timaru) here
Will
Will

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi Kylie,

It is really difficult coping with depression as a person who has it, but I think it is worse sometimes for the partner. They sometimes can't say the right things, sometimes get yelled at and although they try thier hardest, they just don't feel like what they do is right.

I guess the best thing you could do is 'go with the flow' whatever mood he is in - try and work with it. It is hard I know, but he will need your support at some stage.

Have you introduced him to this web page?

Will, I have to ask,

why the dirt?

Back to top Go down

Post by laworder Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:58 am

I am in this position, and yes it is incredibly difficult and draining sometimes. You do need to have someone to talk to who is "outside" the whole situation so that you have somewhere to vent if needs be.
I have got myself a therapist which may also be a good idea. It will be an even better idea for him if he hasn't already been seeing one. There is also a group called Supporting Families in Mental Illness based in Auckland who are very helpful to talk to if you need it.
http://www.sfauckland.org.nz/

On the positive side as his medication kicks in things should improve hopefully. Introducing him to this site will also be a good idea

Peter
laworder
laworder

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:56 am

[quote="Kylie B"]Hi there, im new to this site so I hope ive posted in the right place. My partner has had depression for about 6 months but has only just gone onto medication. Im trying very very hard to be loving and supportive of him during this time but im struggling severly at the moment, I find myself in tears more often than not now as I feel I have lost my best friend and I feel as if I have lost his trust but dont know why. He is a wonderful man and I love him very much so really do want to get through this tough time. I miss him so much and feel very lonely. I try to get out and about and keep to my normal life as much as possible, but whenever im away from him im thinking about him constantly. How do I help him but not lose the plot myself?

Kylie :oops:[/quot

My wife suffers with it too Kylie and so I know how you feel sometimes. They have their Good & Bad times and we just need be there 4 them. I have learnt so much since i met my wife 5 yrs ago. But its all good. I Love mywife dearly. WE Met thru mutal friend and we lived 6 hours apart from each other. We communtted between Rotorua & Kerikeri for 7 mths visiting each other in between times. Finally She moved in with me in July06 getting Engaged November same year and we got married February 08. We love each other dearly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down