The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIRST AID..... Just for today

2 posters

Go down

FIRST AID.....  Just for today Empty FIRST AID..... Just for today

Post by Apricot Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Bad feelings, not coping..

Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

Just for today I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Just for today I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my luck as it comes, and fit myself to it.

Just for today I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will not be a mental loafer. I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

Just for today I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it, it will not count. I will do at least two things I don’t want to do just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

Just for today I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, keep my voice low, be courteous, criticize not one bit. I won’t find fault with anything, nor try to improve or regulate anybody but myself.

Just for today I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.

Just for today I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, sometime, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

Just for today I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

Apricot
Apricot

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

FIRST AID.....  Just for today Empty Re: FIRST AID..... Just for today

Post by Apricot Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Defining Characteristics of Serenity

The ability to detach from desires and/or emotion and feelings.
The ability to be in touch with an inner haven of peace and security.
A sense of connectedness with the universe.
A trust in the wisdom of the universe.
The habit of actively pursuing all reasonable avenues for solving problems.
An ability to accept situations that cannot be changed.
A way to give unconditionally of one’s self.
Forgiveness of self and others.
The ability to let go of the past and the future and to live in the present.
A sense of perspective as to the importance of one’s self and life events.

Fostering Serenity

It may be useful to identify possible indications that a person might be a candidate for interventions relating to serenity. In all likelihood, people may not mention concerns about serenity but rather a sense of emptiness, meaninglessness, depression, yearning for fulfillment, etc. All of these concerns have the acknowledgment of a void, the absence of serenity.
Apricot
Apricot

Back to top Go down

Post by Apricot Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Some of the characteristics of the person who has achieved true adulthood are suggested here:

1. He accepts criticism gratefully, being honestly glad for an opportunity to improve.

2. He does not indulge in self-pity. He has begun to feel the laws of compensation operating in all life.

3. He does not expect special consideration from anyone.

4. He controls his temper.

5. He meets emergencies with poise.

6. His feelings are not easily hurt.

7. He accepts the responsibility of his own actions without trying to "alibi."

8. He has outgrown the "all or nothing" stage. He recognizes that no person or situation is wholly good or wholly bad, and he begins to appreciate the Golden Mean.

9. He is not impatient at reasonable delays. He has learned that he is not the arbiter of the universe and that he must often adjust himself to other people and their convenience.

10. He is a good loser. He can endure defeat and disappointment without whining or complaining.

11. He does not worry about things he cannot help.

12. He is not given to boasting or "showing off" in socially unacceptable ways.

13. He is honestly glad when others enjoy success or good fortune. He has outgrown envy and jealousy.

14. He is open-minded enough to listen thoughtfully to the opinions of others.

15. He is not a chronic "fault-finder."

16. He plans things in advance rather than trusting to the inspiration of the moment.

Last of all, we think in terms of spiritual maturity:

1. He has faith in a Power greater then himself.

2. He feels himself an organic part of mankind as a whole, contributing his part to each group of which he is a member.

3. He obeys the spiritual essence of the Golden Rule: "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."
This piece on Emotional Maturity was found in a small tract published by an Alcoholics Anonymous group from Akron, Ohio. Its author chose to remain anonymous.

http://www.michaelppowers.com/wisdom/index.html
Apricot
Apricot

Back to top Go down

Post by Apricot Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:03 pm

God, Grant me the serenity

to

accept the things I can not change,
the courage to change the things I can

and

The wisdom to know the difference.
Apricot
Apricot

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy_Ducks Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:54 pm

I am a Reiki Teacher and there is a very similar mantra that we follow as best we can.

Just for today - do not worry (worry is useless. accept the things you cant change, change the things you can and know the difference as mentioned above is EXACTLY what this means)

Just for today - do not get angry (that does mean do not do anything about your frustration, only that anger alone does not serve a purpose. be calm, take appropriate action)

just for today - do your work. (not your day job, but your 'work' that you are here on this earth to do. if you are not sure what this is, work on the Pay It Forward principle)

Just for today - honor all living things. take care of the life that exists around you.

just for today - be grateful. find the smallest thing to be grateful for and revel in that.

it is worth noting that for some people here Today is a really long time to commit to any one of those above. if it helps you to change the words to Just for this hour, then i recommend you do so. it does you no good to set unrealistic goals for yourself.
Fluffy_Ducks
Fluffy_Ducks

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down