The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dealing with the tiredness

5 posters

Go down

Dealing with the tiredness Empty Dealing with the tiredness

Post by lowdown Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:50 pm

One of the worst symptoms for me is the continual tiredness...I've not found a med yet which seems to sort this out.

The tiredness sits at the back of everything, slows you down in everything you do, and when you stop for a second to have a breather, it just overwhelms you. I get a full nights sleep now, and go to bed early, but its just not enough. It never seems to be enough. I used to have nanna naps in the afternoon to help, but they just got longer and longer...and I felt so lousy when I woke up from them...and then would sleep a whole night through as well. It almost feels that if I let myself sleep without a break, I would only ever wake for the loo and for food!!!!!

Now it seems to be a mix of coffee and coke to keep me going when I get a low in the afternoon. But that's not ideal. Even now, sitting here this morning, I am tired and my eyes are heavy....

How do all the rest of you cope with this?

lowdown

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Dealing with the tiredness Empty Re: Dealing with the tiredness

Post by ZenMonsta Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi again lowdown

I also know the lowlevel tiredness that seems to affect your ability to manage the daily things most people think are normal.

At the moment I am starting to look hard at my nutritional needs and supplements etc. I am trying to eat a more healthy balanced diet and have almost cut coffee completly from my diet. I have replaced it with green tea and water as I find I dont get the rush I used to from caffiene but I still get the low after the now nonexistant rush! I hope that makes sense (oh and I still have a cup of coffee first things more out of habit than anything because I find it comforting......though these days I only ever manage about 1/2 the cup)

AS I look further into the nutrition side of things it hs been suggested that we start a 'Nutrition' thread.There is only already re diet and exercise but I think a nutrition and recipe thread may help us all too.

Take care lowdown

Bye
ZenMonsta
ZenMonsta

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by lowdown Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Thanks monsta, yes, I have to be careful that the tiredness doesn't morph into apathy about doing things, and over time I have realised they are two different problems, but related!!

My nutrition is pretty good, we don't do junk food, lots of fruit and veges but I should also look at a multivitamin in case there is something missing...

Coffee and coke...well, three years ago I gave up drinking, and with it went the social life I had enjoyed as without it I couldn't be buggered going out anywhere! Coffee and coke became my alternative drink, which I figured was a much better option considering!

I also work from home, and my coffees are limited to when I go into town to do some work at local cafes, when I really need the buzz of people around me without any obligation to make conversation! So coffee is my 'work' drink.

I don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't gamble, so figure that to ask myself to give up my caffeine is just a bit too much!!!!! LOL!

Going back to what I said about the tiredness and apathy...the tiredness is always there, but I can usually make myself do stuff if I need to, although it is hard physically. The apathy when it kicks in is when I can't make myself do things physically as my head is saying, I know its important, and will have consequences if I don't do it, but bring 'em on, because I really can't be arsed. That is much more self-destructive...

I am just sick of struggling to keep myself going. I was once such a high energy person, this is such a dramatic change, and after years of keeping up a front that I am still high energy even when I'm not, I just don't have the energy to even do that any more! Problem is that your family, your colleagues and your friends also find it hard to adjust to this person who has changed...that is hard for me to cope with too...

lowdown

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_sky Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi Lowdown, I can relate to what you have posted infact i couldn't have written it better! I get a full nights rest each night some good 8-9 hours each night as soon as i wake up i want to scream and punch my alarm clock as i feel sooooooo tired. I force myself to get up and have a shower and go to work because if i dont work i dotn get paid, i dont get paid i cant live! I have at least 2 coffees in the morning and a v or coke. I totally understand about the way we "act" as if we are still the high energy people we used to be and that in itself is tiring! Im over it.Im now at the stage where too bad if people think im always tired and lazy, i just want to be left alone! I want to feel good again too. I think Monsta is right its diet and nutrition, im a smoker so thats probably not good but i think im going to start taking a 5-10 minute brisk walk or just go outside for some fresh air and sun (no smoko) whever i feel im getting to that im soo tired im going to go to sleep on the nearest flat surface i find!!. Maybe you can do the same? Please write back and let us know how you are getting on! im so glad to have found someone who feels the same way i do, quite often its people who cant sleep and cant eat but yet im all about the sleeping and only getting up to eat and go loo! Smile

claire_sky

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by lowdown Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:33 pm

Hey CS, nice to know I am not alone! I hate the fact that people do think I am lazy but I am having to learn to not give a damn. Very hard.

My social life has gone to hell - I should say 'our' social life has gone to hell, as its affected hubby as well - because I can't be arsed going out in the evenings as too tired. Usually in bed by 9.30 at the latest....so another thing to feel guilty about. I have taken to telling hubby just to go out without me, but that is not good for a marriage long term...

I live and work on a small block, so have started to get into the habit of getting up and having a walk around talking to the animals when I feel too tired. But it still doesn't seem to make a difference when I sit back down again, I am back to tired...

lowdown

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_sky Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:41 pm

Oh i can sooo relate! Im im bed at 9:30 at the latest too, partner rolls his eyes at me and cant believe i want to go to bed THAT early! He watches tv and i take myself to bed some love life we have aye? I dont drink alcohol anymore as i abused it one too many times and i have given it up now so there went oru social life as i felt i couldnt go out if i wasnt drinking and it was easier to just avoid people that did drink as i didnt want all the unwanted encouragement!

AS i sit here i could quite happily nod off to sleep, i told my partner the other day, that the reason i like goign to sleep is that im safe there no one can hurt me or bother me there. I dont know if thats what its like for you, but i just dont have the energy to face the world sometimes, even at work, a job which i used to LOVE i now cant be arsed doing! I think i may need to get up and go for a walk! i have a problem with addictions so i dont want any medication or anything to give me this energy! i just want it to come from within? HOw do i get that? no idea! How long have you been feeling like this?

claire_sky

Back to top Go down

Post by lowdown Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:48 pm

I know what you mean about the no drinking, alcohol was one way that I could keep awake and lively for social events. Without it, no chance.

I've had bouts of depression on and off since I was about 18 (42 now), and if truth be told I was heading that way well before that age too. The one before this one lasted for ages...but I'd say this one is here to stay. The tiredness is one of the main symptoms, and with this bout looking like a lifestyle not an episode, I am pretty much resigned to it hanging around. Its hard facing such a huge lifestyle change, and that this might be as good as it gets and I need to get used to it. But I really think that is it.

Have tried all sorts of combos and types of meds, different exercises, foods, treatments, and nothing helps.

Luckily I still love my work, and as I work from home and for myself I can take breaks when I need and work around that. If I didn't have that I don't know what I'd do...

I've given up on a magic bullet

lowdown

Back to top Go down

Post by lil_miss_haley Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:33 pm

Im the same as both of you, 8-9hrs of sleep a night, yet still tired all the time. I eat reasonably healthy and only have 1 coffee in the morning. I dont know what to do about it, but I permanatly feel like im going to nod off. Good to hear im not the only one
lil_miss_haley
lil_miss_haley

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:16 am

Hi, I was interested in a comment in your post Claire_sky about going to bed - that you feel safe there. I can remember telling my Dr a while ago that it was such a relief to get into bed and go to sleep. That would have told him a lot - not that I really realised what I was saying! I have had to make my bed a safe place - now I usually get in and relax into the mattress - and yes, it's still a relief to go to bed sometimes, especially after one of those 'low energy' days! ..... Daze
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_sky Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:02 pm

Im permanently tired no matter how much or how little sleep i get i always feel the same amount of tiredness. SUCKS BIG TIME!!!

Daze thanks for reading my post, yip i always say i want to go to bed and go to sleep cos im safe there, no one can hurt me, no one can annoy me, no one can ask me questions or make me do things i dont want to do. OFCOURSE thats not entirely true, as i do have to share my bed with my partner who can easily interupt my sleep as can my cell fone and home phone, noisey neighbours, traffic oh and a playful or tearful 3 year old! But for some reason thats how i feel, i have made my bedroom my safe place. I sink into my mattress too, and can feel it relaxing me and sending me off into la la land!

Maybe i need to see a sleep doctor? My parnter thinks i have serious problems and that my love of sleep is uhealthy, which, well it is!

However im still a morning person, i go to bed early but get up early too! I work 8 hours a day in pretty busy fast paced job where every day is different so im constantly being tested at work mentally and drained so come night im ready for my "safe place"

OK enough rambling Claire, thanks for letting me post everyone it feels good being able to express things and see why i do the things i do.

I hope lowdown and others that you are startign to find the much needed energy you require and your days and nights are alot more productive!

claire_sky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down