The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mental Health System

3 posters

Go down

The Mental Health System Empty The Mental Health System

Post by woppow Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:22 am

Hi

A good mate of mine is writing an email to 60 minutes about Mo (my mate her killed herself)

My question for all the good people out there on these forums is Has the mental health system let you, or someone you know down?

and Is there any way you think the system can be improved?

Thanks
Lizzie!
woppow
woppow

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2009-04-12

http://www.makeadifference.co.nz

Back to top Go down

The Mental Health System Empty Re: The Mental Health System

Post by Guest Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:50 am

sorry Liz, I can't comment as I haven't entered 'the system'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:56 am

maybe im cynical but it seems to me that it all comes down to the bucks...
mental health will never attract the funding that other services do. i can understand that in some regards, but sometimes it really pisses me off. ultimatley though, would you spend money on things that will greatly improve peoples quality of life and productivty (ie. ability to earn and pay tax) or on people who in the long run are probably going to suffer from an illness their entire lives and not be as productive (ie. sickness, invalids beneficiaries)....makes sense economically - but, socially and ethically - no, it sucks...the 'system' is over stretched, under resourced and seemingly filled with people who are burnt out and past 'caring' about the people they see - but who can blame them....whilst health care dollars continue to be 'wasted' on 'management' and beauraucracy people are always going to miss out on the treatment and assessment they need - its a tough call...i know without 'treatment' at the moment and in the past i wouldnt be here, but do i deserve health funding over someone who can return to work and support the economy for the rest of their working lives? who makes that call?? its a tough call to make, but sitting in a nice office away from the realities of the public health system 'coalface' - i can see how these decisions are made. ultimately, my life is worth less than someone who can work from secondary school to retirement, paying their taxes and contributing to society......an asshole thing to say - but economically correct id say

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:58 am

Hey,

One of the big issues is the system is reactive instead of proactive. You have to do something before help is avaliable and by then it is often too little too late.

When I had my relapse I spent months going back and forth to my GP but was not serious enough. AFter I lit the fires I have been able to get help and support and the CATT team now have my file.
When I was bailed part of my conditions was to undergo a psyc assesment and have counselling. The first hurdle was trying to organise the coounselling. Justice said it was the responceability of the COmmunity Mental Health team and they said it was the responceability of justic. I had the psyc assesment and was deemed at risk of further relapses and at risk to myself but the community mental health team decided that I did not warrent further follow up. In the end I had to organise privite counselling.

In another example a friend of mine lost her ex fiance to suicide, She started self harming and tried to access counselling. She was unable to, it was not till a friend of hers approached the mental health team that they saw her and she got put on anti d's and counselling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:25 pm

Roswell wrote:Hey,

One of the big issues is the system is reactive instead of proactive.

Think you hit the nail on the head right there Ros. Sometimes I've felt so exasperated thinking what the hell do I have to do to get help around here?

Back to top Go down

The Mental Health System Empty mental health

Post by nigel Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:08 am

tell me about it, i have been through the whole sarga with mental health,they gave me the wrong meds and i couldnt walk,have been showen the door and nowhere to go,can go on and on with so called mental health issue,i get the message that as long as they are all getting a wage are they really there to help people or abuse them. Mad

nigel

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:36 am

woppow wrote:Hi

A good mate of mine is writing an email to 60 minutes about Mo (my mate her killed herself)

My question for all the good people out there on these forums is Has the mental health system let you, or someone you know down?

and Is there any way you think the system can be improved?

Thanks
Lizzie!

Good on you Lizzie,
you have choosen a good fight.

I hope you get the Support youre looking for regarding your Friend Mo
and the eMail to 60minutes.

You will find in Trade Me/opinion Maria and Her helpers,who are doing something similar
due to the suicide of Her dear Son Toran,a couple of years back.
(its a long process,changing what is faulty)
Go there,and unite;they may-be interested in joining forces.
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Number of posts : 940
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:40 am

nigel wrote:tell me about it, i have been through the whole sarga with mental health,they gave me the wrong meds and i couldnt walk,have been showen the door and nowhere to go,can go on and on with so called mental health issue,i get the message that as long as they are all getting a wage are they really there to help people or abuse them. Mad
Helo Nigel
We have great Lawyers here which sort out BIG corporations and weird goings on in Govts.
Slater & Gordon may have Offices in NZ;Theyre all over the world Now,
and the demons shit their pants
when confronted by
their enquiries.

Thanks for joining up!

All the more the merrier
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Number of posts : 940
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:19 am

I think the real issue with mental health funding is the fact that mental health is a topic that no one wants to talk about.

Beaurocracy may kick it under the rug as it is seen to be something that is to be ashamed of.

When in reality it is not.

Just my thoughts ...think I'm getting a bit old and opinonated now,

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down