The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psychiatric unit smokefree policy linked to violence - Newspaper Article

2 posters

Go down

Psychiatric unit smokefree policy linked to violence - Newspaper Article Empty Psychiatric unit smokefree policy linked to violence - Newspaper Article

Post by Paddy Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:32 am

Psychiatric unit smokefree policy linked to violence
By NATALIE AKOORIE - Waikato Times http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/2310367/Psychiatric-unit-smokefree-policy-linked-to-violence

"Mentally ill patients forced to quit smoking at one of the largest mental health facilities in the country are more likely to become violent, says a former mental health worker.

Paula Jessep, Waikato District Health Board's senior consumer adviser at the Henry Rongomau Bennett Centre from mid-2003 to late 2005 said she believed the centre's new smokefree policy would lead to increased aggression among acutely ill patients, more unexplained absences, and fewer smokers in the community seeking help.

Ms Jessep, herself a smoker, has also experienced mental illness. "I don't support smoking but when I'm sick I smoke like a train," she said.

The smokefree policy, which bans patients and staff from smoking inside and outside the centre, was announced last week and took effect from Tuesday.

"There's going to be an increase in aggression, violence and Awols. Watch this space because I think there's going to be an increase in assaults."

Mental illness sufferers she had spoken to said they would sooner go to Waikeria Prison or not tell their mental health worker how sick they were to avoid being admitted somewhere they couldn't smoke. Ms Jessep also queried the level of consultation over the ban.

Waikato District Health Board Mental Health and Addiction Services group manager Jeff Bennett said it was important to note the centre was not nicotine free. Support for smokers included advice about how to cope without cigarettes, nicotine patches, chewing gum, lozenges, nicotine-filled inhalers, or referral to support agencies such as Quitline.

"To do nothing would be a greater travesty than to address the issue of nicotine addiction among mental health service users and stigmatise this group of individuals further," Mr Bennett said.

He defended the consultation method saying GPs, primary health, and community organisations were sent letters outlining the initiative on March 13."
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Psychiatric unit smokefree policy linked to violence - Newspaper Article Empty Re: Psychiatric unit smokefree policy linked to violence - Newspaper Article

Post by barbz Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:57 am

Kia ora Paddy,

I know Paula and there is fear about being smokefree. I have been active as part of my role. The MOH expect all inpatient units to be smokefree by 2010 and we have started talking about it at work. NRT is being implemented and people are offered it through out their stay.

Smoking has always seen as good for the nerves and it wasn't that long ago that smoking occurred almost everywhere. I remember grotty social welfare rooms where people were smoking and my darling has asthma so it was pretty awful. It is hard to believe that we don't smoke in pubs and restaurants but it happened relatively painlessly.

Smoking is banned in hospitals with only MH patients having an exemption. And people with mental health issues in the physical wards are not allowed to smoke.

So the question is, do we have the right to be treated differently than any one else. Well, part of me say no, we are fighting to be treated the same as every one else, part of me say yes, people in MH units are often under the MH Act and cannot go off site for a smoke. Consumer advisors are trying to get an answer from the ministry on this, I mean you are allowed to smoke in prison. Wonder when they are going to ban it there.

One of the real issues is, smoking is killing us, people with serious and ongoing mental health issues die 10 years younger than Maori. Smoking is part of that, and 75% of us smoke.

It is a very complex issue and there really is no right or wrong or simple answer.

Barbz

barbz

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Psychiatric unit smokefree policy linked to violence - Newspaper Article Empty Re: Psychiatric unit smokefree policy linked to violence - Newspaper Article

Post by Guest Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:30 am

I know it is an issue they are looking at in relation to Ward 27 here in Wellington and process are being discussed in how it is best to be managed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:50 am

Oh Dear.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/2338899/Bus-hits-smoking-patient-on-footpath

I see that on TV3 News tonight, a bloke for the Hospital suggested that this poor unfortunate woman 'put herself in harms way'. And yet, the News said, the Hospital was still investigating. Nothing like an open minded response, eh?

The DHB has a duty of care.

Irrespective of whether a patient smokes or not. A policy change of the DHB has put an inpatient of a mental health unit, who also happens to be a smoker, in a situation where it is possible for her to be hit by a bus. That does not sound like good care to me. I don't much care who got in the way of what - it should not have been an accident waiting to happen.

What does it matter that there is construction work going on around the place? It is the duty of the DHB to manage all risks and take all practicable steps to eliminate them. Letting an inpatient wander off site for an unsupervised fag does not sound like good practice to me. Some things don't change much, eh? I used to regularly wander off from Sunnyside, the times I was there and no one knew where I was (me included, often). I'd be 'gone' for hours at a time.

Shame on you, Waikato DHB. This isn't good enough.

Yes, I acknowledge you offer patches, gum etc as an option for smokers who are also inpatients, but nah, this is wrong. That woman should not have been hit by a bus, whilst in your care.

Mad
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down