The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internet linked to depression - Online News Report

Go down

Internet linked to depression - Online News Report Empty Internet linked to depression - Online News Report

Post by Paddy Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:39 am

Stuff.co.nz - Reuters -14:05 03/02/2010
Internet linked to depression

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/3289687/Internet-linked-to-depression

"People who spend a lot of time surfing the internet are more likely to show signs of depression, scientists say.

But it is not clear whether the internet causes depression or whether depressed people are drawn to it.

Psychologists from Leeds University found what they said was "striking" evidence that some avid net users develop compulsive internet habits in which they replace real-life social interaction with online chat rooms and social networking sites.

"This study reinforces the public speculation that over-engaging in websites that serve to replace normal social function might be linked to psychological disorders like depression and addiction," the study's lead author, Catriona Morrison, wrote in the journal Psychopathology.
"This type of addictive surfing can have a serious impact on mental health."

In the first large-scale study of Western young people to look at this issue, the researchers analyzed internet use and depression levels of 1,319 Britons aged between 16 and 51.
Of these, 1.2 per cent were "internet addicted", they concluded.

These "internet addicts" spent proportionately more time browsing sexually gratifying websites, online gaming sites and online communities, Morrison said. They also had a higher incidence of moderate to severe depression than normal users.

"Excessive internet use is associated with depression, but what we don't know is which comes first - are depressed people drawn to the internet or does the internet cause depression?," Morrison said.

"What is clear is that for a small subset of people, excessive use of the internet could be a warning signal for depressive tendencies."
Morrison noted that while the 1.2 per cent figure for those classed as "addicts" was small, it was larger than the incidence of gambling in Britain, which is around 0.6 per cent."
Ends.
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Internet linked to depression - Online News Report Empty Re: Internet linked to depression - Online News Report

Post by Guest Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:53 am

hmmm interesting...

Back to top Go down

Internet linked to depression - Online News Report Empty Re: Internet linked to depression - Online News Report

Post by Paddy Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:02 am

Fancy you reading this, eh?
What were the chances, do ya reckon, hon? Embarassed

I hope that you four up there are having a good, enjoyable week - I guess the boys and you will be shattered by the new routine of back to school? Take care, eh ML. Mmmwah.
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Yes Mathew was shattered - asleep before 8! Murray was a bit hyped but was asleep by 9 - he normally lies in bed until about 11 as he can't sleep through the heat.

I found this article particulary interesting as when I am severly depressed I do surf the net alot - aside from the normal games I play on facebook!. And by alot I mean ALOT!

but when I am happy I am here ALOT less!!

How do others in our cyber community find this - do they do the same?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down