The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Do We Beat Ourselves Up? (article)

2 posters

Go down

Why Do We Beat Ourselves Up? (article) Empty Why Do We Beat Ourselves Up? (article)

Post by lil_miss_haley Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:46 am

I thought this was good.. I stole it from sparkpeople. Treat yourself how you would treat your friends!! xXx

Why Do We Beat Ourselves Up?
A Look at Self-Destructive Thoughts
-- By Mike Kramer, Staff Writer

If we had friends that treated us the way that many of us treat ourselves, they wouldn’t be our friends for very long. Imagine a friend who calls up just to complain–about you. Or an alleged buddy who quickly says “I told you so” when you screw up. Or someone who encourages you to give up instead of encouraging you to do your best.

Why do we do this? Why do we treat ourselves in such horrible ways? For some, the negative self-talk is so bad that it would literally be considered verbal abuse if coming from another person. Do any of these sound familiar? “I’m not good enough.” “I knew I’d fail.” “I can’t believe I messed it up again.” “Why can’t I be more like (fill in the blank)?” “I don’t deserve to be happy.” If someone said these things to you, imagine the impact it would have on your confidence.

Negative reinforcement can easily turn into a damaging self-fulfilling prophecy where you live down–instead of up–to expectations. It’s a bad habit that could strangle any growth and needs to be dealt with now. This is not “friend” talk. Yet it’s exactly the kind of destructive feedback we give ourselves.

This kind of language can have serious consequences, but people turn it on themselves all the time. Why? What did we do to deserve this? Is our self-esteem so low that we think we need to be talked to–even by ourselves–like this? Hopefully not.

You’re a fantastic person on an exciting journey, in the middle of creating a life that you want. If I were you, I wouldn’t put up with that negative voice in your head. You deserve better. If anything, your self-esteem needs to be built up, not torn down. What’s so wrong with reminding yourself of how wonderful you are? Isn’t that what you would do for a friend who needed a word of encouragement?

Sometimes, this can be easier said than done. Any self-bashing you might do may actually have its roots in something other people have told you over the years. Harsh words can leave scars that never go away. Still, that doesn’t mean we have to carry on the legacy of beating ourselves up.

You deserve to be treated with respect, encouragement and patience. You demand that much from people you know. Demand it from yourself.
lil_miss_haley
lil_miss_haley

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Why Do We Beat Ourselves Up? (article) Empty Re: Why Do We Beat Ourselves Up? (article)

Post by britelite Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:00 am

I love you haley I agree...that IS good!!!!!! I love you

I think we could all do with a poster of that on our bedroom wall...so we can read it every morning...well I know I could

thank you for sharing this flower
britelite
britelite

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down