The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question regarding mental health services....

3 posters

Go down

Question regarding mental health services.... Empty Question regarding mental health services....

Post by claire_bear1000 Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:41 am

I'm currently under a team and they have told me I'm being discharged back to the care of my GP in a couple of months. Well, the way I see it is why wait and they should just do it now. What rights do I have when it comes to something like this?? Can I tell them that I woud rather just be discharged now Question Question Question
claire_bear1000
claire_bear1000

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Question regarding mental health services.... Empty Re: Question regarding mental health services....

Post by Guerrilla Roach Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:01 am

Yes you can tell them anything that you like, and they are required to listen. However, there is a difference between listening and doing. They are charged to have your best interests in mind. This means that if you are under the Mental Health act, they can make some decisions for you. Especially in regards to your care and wellbeing.

However, most of your situation sounds as if it is proceedure. It may well be that it is the best time for them in a few months. The important thing here is to ask; what is happening, why it is happening, and what say do you have in its happening.

For any advice on your rights, you can contact the Health and Disability Commissioner on 0800 11 22 33. They are the appropriate organisation in NZ and deal with all cases to do with patient/client rights. Including the right to be heard, treated with respect, and taken seriously.

I hope this helps flower
Guerrilla Roach
Guerrilla Roach

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Back to top Go down

Question regarding mental health services.... Empty Re: Question regarding mental health services....

Post by claire_bear1000 Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 am

Cool....might give them a call to see what's what and will talk to psychologist on wednesday when i see him....thanks.... Smile
claire_bear1000
claire_bear1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Me Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:21 am

If you are a voluntary patent they can't make you stay under them, but with them the medication that you may be on is free, and a Dr's isn't so that might be worth considering.

Me

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_bear1000 Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:30 am

Oh ok, don't think I'm a voluntary patient...I was handed over to them through the Catt team in Hamilton from when I lived there and been under them for the last few years now....and am only on minimal medication now so that wouldn't be an issue really....thanks...
claire_bear1000
claire_bear1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Me Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:40 am

If you aren't voluntary then you can't discharge yourself, bit I think they mean being sent to mental health through a court order is what is classed as involuntary. Phone them and ask. I have always had to have a meeting with them each time I have wanted to discharge myself.

Me

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_bear1000 Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:47 am

Oh ok.....thanks for that......will ask psychologist on wednesday then....
claire_bear1000
claire_bear1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down