The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Desperately need advice

2 posters

Go down

Desperately need advice Empty Desperately need advice

Post by gyll Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:34 am

I have a friend with bi polar. How do i handle his 'episodes'. I've tried my best for the last year but I'm not coping very well. I'd really like to talk to someone who has a partner or close friend with this condition. I'm not saying that they will answer my problems because everyone is different, but i really do need to talk to someone and soon...

gyll

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

Desperately need advice Empty Re: Desperately need advice

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:03 am

Hi there Gyll

I am so pleased that you have posted here, so many people just don't ask for advise and just 'play along' often to their detriment.

Unfortunatly tho I don't have any advise for you re your friend. Have you managed to talk to someone yourself? The only reason I ask is that I am sure that bi polar could make you, as a caring friend, very down yourself.

How intimate is your relationship with your friend. How would the respond to you asking how they would respond if they were in your shoes. What if you asked them what they thought would be the best thing for you to do during an episode.

Maybe this link might be of help http://helpguide.org/mental/bipolar_disorder_family_friends_support.htm

What a tough one ay?
What about phoning someone at a mental health unit, perhaps they can give you some pointers or perhaps your friends medical professional (although the privacy act might come into play and they may not be able to say anything).

By the way - don't forget to look after yourself - first and foremost ok?

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Dear Gyll

You don't have to handle a "bipolar episode", you need to just handle your reaction to it.

It is clear you don't feel all that capable anymore so what MyLife says is right. You can only look after your own feelings and seek the help of organizations or professionals who do know how to care empathically not sympathetically which you as a good friend will do.

Even start by phoning Life Line for yourself, to get a supportive word and they will be able to direct you in what you decide.

Good luck Gyll its not easy being the partner or friend of someone with a mental illness.

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by gyll Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:35 am

Thanks for your comments. I have tried to talk to him but it didnt work. He gets it into his head that I'm on everyone elses side but his. I worry about him so much but you're right I should take note of my own feelings and reactions. Thanks once again for your help

gyll

gyll

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down