The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone please help me with some advice and info

5 posters

Go down

Can anyone please help me with some advice and info Empty Can anyone please help me with some advice and info

Post by jingles Sat May 01, 2010 3:07 am

Is it true that many people get severe winter depression? For the thrid year in a row around april (colder weather and darker days) I have endured months of lethergy/absolute no energy, sadness/or no emotions, problems with sleeping or over sleeping, no enjoyment in life, irritated, over eating, problems at work (due to increased confusion). In the past, my doctor gave me sleeping pills (zpolicone ??) which did very little to help. By september-ish - it suddenly disappears and I feel 'normal' again. Its so weird and draining on my life. It only started 2years ago, and now its happening again. I cant figure out a trigger - only when winter is approaching and gets to its worse during winter. I just cant snap out of it as my partner and best friend says I need to do. I know lots of people feel blah in winter and overeat - but is what im experiencing normal??

jingles

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-05-01

Back to top Go down

Can anyone please help me with some advice and info Empty Re: Can anyone please help me with some advice and info

Post by Anita Sat May 01, 2010 3:32 am

Hey jingles.

Yes it's true! It's called Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD. I found you the following http://www.mentalhealth.org.nz/newsletters/view/article/17/214/winter-2009/#winter reading list on the mental health NZ website. I couldn't find anything specific about SAD in NZ, Paddy (our beloved admin), would be the best person for that - he knows his way around helpful NZ mental health sites like nobody else.

You are not crazy (ha) nor are you alone. Which is great! And there's lots of information out there to help you figure out the best way for you to deal with your seasonal lowness.
Anita
Anita

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Back to top Go down

Can anyone please help me with some advice and info Empty Re: Can anyone please help me with some advice and info

Post by Guest Sat May 01, 2010 3:32 am

Hi Jingles and welcome to TBBD

I don't know about winter depression, but have been told taking Vit D is prescribed by Dr's. Maybe something to look into...

flower

Back to top Go down

Post by jingles Sat May 01, 2010 3:43 am

Thank you for the welcome Anita and Poetry. I appreciate your reply and will look at these readings and into vit D. Its great to have a site such as this for people to get together for support and sharing of advice. Thank you again.

J.

jingles

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Sat May 01, 2010 8:58 am

Hiya Jingles and yeah, Welcome to our TBBD family. flower

Yep, SAD it is.
Tis real and a real bugger too.
I see you're somewhere in the South Island? Move to Mid Canterbury. Then, you will get the NorWester Illness as well, November to February pretty much day in day out, so it feels.

So there, thats pretty much ya entire year sorted if ya can make the move.

You'll then only have a few brief weeks a year of needing to keep up the pretence of normality (whatever that is).

I know of what I speak. Christchurch, Ashburton, Temuka, Timaru - they'll all get ya, but Vegas is worst - no hills to deflect the relentless Nor Wester.

You take gentle care of you eh? Ta.

Paddy.

Last edited by Paddy on Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Sat May 01, 2010 9:29 am

Hi Jingles, ......... one of the theories about SAD is is that the lack of light can affect people. My daughter experienced something similar when we went to live in Scotland ... it's not light til 9 am and dark about 3.30 in the winter there ... she had, of course, been used to our weather here.

Some people in Britain have 'light machines' ..... and I've been told to get outside in the light even on the dullest day - the light is a bit brighter than inside!

Welcome to TBBD ................. Daze
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 02, 2010 11:24 am

The only way our bodies can make vitamin D is through sunlight exposure (without sunblock. if you are wearing sunscreen, our bodies still cant make vitamin D). One of the effects of vitamin D deficiency is depression. This can sometimes lead to "winter depression" as our vitamin D stocks get depleted due to very limited sunlight exposure. Last year I had a massive vit D deficiency, and the Doc gave me special supplements (you only take one pill a week I think, for 6 weeks in a row) and it definitely had a positive effect on my mood.

xx Aradhna

Back to top Go down

Post by EGBAR Sun May 02, 2010 9:16 pm

I go to the tanning salon occasionally which is very non pc, but its warm and restful and i do feel better after it.
EGBAR
EGBAR

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down