The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is radical depression treatment

3 posters

Go down

This is radical depression treatment Empty This is radical depression treatment

Post by deathsoonplease Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:09 pm

Watching TV tonight and caught an article about some German scientists doing some interesting new neuro-surgical techniques to help people suffering from depression.
What they were doing was inserting electrodes deep into the brain tissue to electrically stimulate a certain area of the brain associated with our reward system. It was pretty invasive and probably fairly risky but apparently had very good results on 2 out of 3 patients it was tried on.
What was interesting about for me was the report from the patient where she said that after surgery she felt more like doing things than she had before.
People just like animals respond to positive re-enforcement. By that I mean if you want someone to behave a certain way, give them some incentive as a reward, be it social approval or a cookie for example. Apparently there is an area deep in the brain that reacts to a perceived reward and therefore encourages appropriate behavior. (Bear with me here)
I've always been told I have a bad attitude and in my current state which I have been in for quite sometime, I'm not inclined to do things like socailise or work.
I wonder; is it bad attitude or do I need needles inserted into my brain. That is a question I will ponder for a while and invite your comment on.
I does seem that science may one day find out what the cause of depression is. I look forward to that day.

deathsoonplease

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-03-06

Back to top Go down

This is radical depression treatment Empty Re: This is radical depression treatment

Post by acejase Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:32 am

My personal views are that our brains are capable of correcting 'defects' on their own... it just comes down to what you do with your body and state of mind. There is a bit of airy-fairyness to that but neuroplasticity is the scientific study of what I am talking about - the brain can change, unlike previous popular belief that your brain is static after early childhood.

Not a fan of the idea of having rods in my head, but then again some people would consider that a bonus (the type of person who would like to be a cyborg, for instance Razz). It is interesting how 'it's all in our heads' and that the correct electrical stimulation in the correct place can have wonderful results... and our brains are capable of doing this on their own. Maybe our conditions weaken the synaptic pathways to the reward centre and we need to 'exercise' those synapses to build them back up again.

How? F'd if I know!

acejase

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-07-09

Back to top Go down

This is radical depression treatment Empty Re: This is radical depression treatment

Post by Fluffy_Ducks Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:02 pm

interesting isn't it.... how surgeons can 'fix' almost anything with their knives and their needles.
i always thought there were two types of Drs, one who wants to heal you with instruments and one who wants to heal you with medication.
i personally don't like either type.

i agree with Jase, the synapses and neurons that fire off in directions... it's not a condition that weakens the synapses, is the constant thought of "im not good enough/loved/heard" that gets stronger so that there is no other apparent pathway to take - i also think they all go to the same 'reward' centre... and when you experience something bad, that reward is "see, i told me so"

it IS possible to change that, but it's hard work to be on the lookout for each and every type a neuron is headed down that way (because it's largely subconcious) in order to turn it around and head it back down another way such as "i am loved/good enough/heard"
Fluffy_Ducks
Fluffy_Ducks

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by acejase Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 am

Has anybody here tried binaural beat meditation tracks? Probably the most 'famous' is Centrepoints Holosync program (which I understand gets very personalized and very pricey as you move through it). I have their Supa Theta track which is supposed to be a good all-rounder: emotions, motivation, focus, learning etc etc. I definitely feel something after studying for an hour or so with that track.

Fluffy_Ducks - Thats a really interesting way of putting it, especially with the reward being the satisfaction of 'I told you so' - a very morbid satisfaction, but satisfaction nonetheless :/

acejase

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy_Ducks Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:07 am

i have the first two tracks of holosync, and really enjoy them both.

i have another disk with binaural meditation stuff on it, and i definitely feel it 'moving' things for me.
you tube has quite a lot too, which you just need a set of headphones plugged in and you're ready to go.

regarding this morbid satisfaction - i think THAT is where the phrase "fake it til you make it' really applies. because you fire of neurons in a different direction and then when the proof arrives from outside your mind "see, i told me so" seem so much more healthy and fun than what is currently going on.

Fluffy_Ducks
Fluffy_Ducks

Back to top Go down

Post by acejase Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:30 am

I like it - we ARE capable of telling our brains who's boss (that is quite a nonsensical statement seeing as we are our brains, but you get what I mean) and steering it in the correct direction. Positive thinking - the cure-all (or most)

acejase

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffy_Ducks Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:33 am

continuous positive thinking in the face of mania - now THAT is courageous hehe

Fluffy_Ducks
Fluffy_Ducks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down