The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight Gains when taking our Meds.

5 posters

Go down

Weight Gains when taking our Meds. Empty Weight Gains when taking our Meds.

Post by Paddy Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:52 am

Alas, I'm sure I'm not the only person here to be pissed off with the increase in body weight and general blubber mountain which has it seems, been encouraged by me meds, or some of them anyway.

I can't get weight off me for trying, I really can't. And I need to, cos me skeleton struggles to support the mass.

I eat bananas, yoghurt, salad stuff (eeew, unnatural) and whole grain brown bread as well a the usual suspects - pasta, fish and chips, etc. I don't have a McDonalds or KFC or Pizza place in my town, so I can't blame them for fattening me up. I've made a big reduction in the sugar for my coffees and don't otherwise use it.

And I only eat once a day, in the evenings. I don't eat chocolate or nuts (allergies, damnit), I don't eat lollies or chippies and if I get the midnight munchies, I make myself have another yogurt. Yeah, I know. Tis not the same.

I have an entire wardrobe of very nice but not a chance of ever fitting me again, clothes. I purchased them when I managed to get my weight from 123.5kg before I stopped letting it be checked, to 76kg. No, it wasn't a miracle, it was Pleurisy and I ain't going through that again, just to 'diet'. It ain't fun, is Pleurisy.

Nope, more walking isn't an option, nor is swimming or cycling etc. Me body is beyond that stuff. Which as far as I can tell, just leaves Yawning as about me only calorie-burning moments. Cover the yawns with both hands instead of just one? Is that really me only choice?

Arrrgh, I am sick and tired of being fat and even if others didn't see me as 'fat', I bloody well do.

'Globules Unite' - anyone else here feeling like this about themselves?

Any WHY do these meds increase our appetites and decrease our abilities to shrug the weight off, after a period of time and adjustment, mmmm? Bastards.

Paddy.

Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Weight Gains when taking our Meds. Empty Re: Weight Gains when taking our Meds.

Post by Martine Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:20 am

Dear Paddy

I agree with you. I have this monstrous overwhelming appetite for carbs since commencing on my current meds.
My husband made a Christmas cake this year, I ate it in two days, quite easily with only little voices saying no no no nyet nada please no.

I stamped the voices out with some Lorazepam and ate some more.

I am looking into overeaters anonymous because I think there's more than just you and me vexed by this problem.

You say you eat just once in the evening. I think that is supposed to be not so good because you cannot digest that well while you sleep.

Have you thought about exercises for the physically challenged like armchair exercises? Even the thought of dragging oneself out for a little walk is daunting because of the depression itself, inertia and sluggishness is part of the condition, but I sat on a barstool on Christmas eve I think it was and was scared I was going to break it.

Love Martine

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffakiwi Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:47 am

I read a lot about weight loss, and the general consensus is that small regular meals through the day are better than large one meal. I also hear often that you shouldn't eat a couple of hours before going to bed.

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:59 am

Hey,

Jks advice about smaller regular meals is correct. From memery they reccommend five or six smaller meals a day.

The other thing that aids weight loss is water and plenty of it. It helps breakdown fat etc.

I am also a big advocate for a programme call Green Prescription. Google it.

Paddy does Martonborough have a pool? I have a client with a back injury so he can't do much walking etc but he does aquajogging.

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffakiwi Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:19 am

Might have to give up all that milk, Paddy! Or switch to non-fat, at least.

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:02 pm

I was gunna say the same thing JK....MILK hmmmm

There are alternatives Paddy, real ones!!!! they have a green label and called ummm Slim, Extra slim and extreme slim.....

Say no to the blues and yes to the green stuff..... I'm sure there is some tasty stuff - sugar free, to give Extreme Slim some gulp-ability hmmm Fool the mind Paddy

DARE YAH Paddy, double dare yah

I'm now, thank the heavens in my weight range. Quetiapine caused the 30-40kg weight gain two years ago, it has taken two long years and changes in meds to sort out the weight problem. I take a very small dose (PRN) 25mg ( I half the thing) It still gives me the munchies.

I now have the opposite that happens from time to time -I was told it is called self harm; I wont go into it, but yeah..... be careful too.

Bloody Meds hmmp

Zyban.... used for depression in the states - now funded in NZ for smokers to help with quiting smoking. I have heard it causes weight loss - directly from a Dr. Maybe something to discuss with your doctor.

cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:07 am

I shoulda thunked about Milk meself, silly ole coot that I am. Embarassed

I've been buying milk based on lowest price, not healthiest option 'cos when one uses as much milk a week as I do, the price variation between the options available, is quite significant. Mutter mutter. I shall give it a go, but I have nearly 10L in me fridge to be used first.

Ros, I would use the Marton (Not Martinborough, which is in the Wairarapa, not Rangitikei) indoor swimming pool if only I could get back out of it.

Getting in the pool is easy - just walk the plank, so to speak. Getting out is not easy. They have no sling or winch available for use by disabled folk and the 'ladders' to climb out on, are multi-part plastic things which wobble dreadfully. I've tried them once and I'm not putting myself at that level of risk of harm again.

Honestly, I can't see me 'doing' breakfast or lunch and my evening meal, is usually between 6-9.30pm, leaving me several hours before bed beckons.

I can cut back on Butter (sob sob sob) which has to help and maybe someone other than moi should be the unofficial Shortbread Tester for NZ but it is an area in which I have deliberately built up a lot of knowledge. I can spot a good bit of Shortbread from 20 paces, now.

(mutters into his blubber and skulks off).

Paddy.

Paddy
Paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:31 am

when you've finished skulking... how about you try having a snack in the morning.... dont think of it as breakfast.... think.. kick starting your metabolism. filling up the tank.... fueling the bod....

try it every day or so... mix your milk with something yummy! muesli? rolled oats? whats the bst option for diabetics?
I personally dont like milk but it is fullerflaovured the blue varieties so i use it in baking and on cereal if I run out of calcitrim.

I have the battle of the teenagers not eating breakfast... have you tried up and go? milk and fibre, not cheap as weetbix though.

stewed fruit ( in moderation) or chopped up banana?

my sons favourite is french toast.

mine would be a poached egg on toast. or tomatoes with lots of salt and pepper.

so if any of this tickles your fancy paddy just think of it as having some variety in your diet , rather than doing lunch or breafast you could have your very own Brunch a la paddy...
yeah I know.. too much time on my hands....

but i do recommend french toast.... with bananas!

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:18 pm

We wuvs yah Paddy, Like a Star @ heaven A blue star for thinking about changing food and drink options.... but yah know what..... you deserve that shortbread!

Getting from A to B is a huge feat for you Paddy - physically. I reckon 4 steps = 1 shortbread and a shot of blue milk....

As for the clothing department, how about thinking about letting them go, and buying new wardrobe from the op shop (I live on op clothes and love em!)

$Trademe, may be the ticket - sell your clothing - (not the shirt off your own back though). $ = spending spree for 'new' clothing.

xox
Poetry... this message was written at 3:00am, so apologies just in case this message is DUMB.
I love you

Last edited by Poetry on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by zin Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi Paddy,

I know it isn't the cheapest milk, but we use calci-trim. It has the advantage of being low fat, and they say it has extra vitamin D, which is not a bad thing for depression also. Just my 2 cents worth so to speak. I know weight loss is so hard to achieve.
zin
zin

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2010-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:29 am

Mutters again. I was really restrained last night. For quite a while, anyway.

In the early evening I dined on yoghurt and banana and egg salad and coleslaw stuff (eeew, nearly as bad as Brussel Sprouts) and felt very virtuous.

Then at 11pm I had a steak and cheese pie and at about 1.30am (despite the sleeping meds in me) I cooked up a basket of hot chips, which I did enjoy. Really enjoyed.

There is no spare capacity to drink 'just' water, what with all me coffee's and all me mugs of milk. I just can't see how water would 'fit', sigh.

French Toast, eh? Sounds yum. But breakfast? Me 'doing breakfast?' Most unlikey, alas. I mean, if I ain't getting outta bed before mid day now, what on earth makes ya think I'd do it for food? Exactly. Lazy old lump of blubber, ain't I? Getting outta bed and 'up and about' ain't all that much fun pain-wise etc so at the moment, I'm indulging myself by lying as still as I can for as long as I can.

And to be honest, I can't see me giving up me milk for a type that has no milk left in it, ya know? I'd have to buy a bottle of cream and top it up. Ever had milk straight from the Vat? Ya can stand a spoon in the cream, mmmmmm.

But - I may not be able to 'feel' my feet all that much, but ... I'd like to see them occasionally, sigh. Dang.

Paddy.
Paddy
Paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:30 pm

the beuaty of frech toast is that it can be eaten at any time, my sons often stay in bed til mid day.. making them FT is the best way to get something into them when they finally emerge from their caves...

You crack me up Paddy... I can just see you pouring cram into the milk.! my uncle has a dairy farm and I remember the taste of fresh full cream milk.Dont think I could stomach it anymore.

Back to top Go down

Post by DocLazy Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:56 am

I wouldn't worry so much about the milk, it's the pies and chips that do us no good.

You could try only drinking milk and coffee during meal times and in between just drink cold water. Ice cold water is great this time of year. Chuck a bottle of water in the fridge or freezer.

DocLazy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Paddy how about setting a goal for yourself?

I am on (yet another) diet I have to defeat this appetite because its getting worse.

But I am determined to be a whole two sizes smaller by this Christmas.
At which special occasion I will eat another Christmas Cake by myself.

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:52 am

All right then Martine, two sizes smaller by 25 December.

If all else fails, I can have me legs amputated at the hips, that'll bloody well do it, I reckon. Anyone else have some handy 'Cheats' in case I get a bit squeamish come December? Wink

Paddy.

PS. Christmas Cake sounds good - I didn't have any last Christmas, I didn't. Not even a finger tips worth of marzipan. Crikey, 'tis tough being me. pffft.
Paddy
Paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down