The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem Gambling.

3 posters

Go down

Problem Gambling.  Empty Problem Gambling.

Post by Paddy Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 am

Hmmmm, ones personal weaknesses can show up in the most unexpected of places, eh?

Today I was at the brand new New World supermarket in my town and was talked into using the ‘self-serve’ checkout machine instead of go to a staffed checkout and being served.

Never again. Yeah, fantabulous technology etc, very clever.

But the longer I used it, the more my thoughts turned to Pokie Machines, especially when I got a some fruit up in the Options menu on the screen. Then ya feed ya $20 notes into the machine and its spits out money into a tray below the flashing lights. The machines give the correct change, in cash. Coins tumbling down, it felt good, like I was a winner.

And I had groceries. That was a real Bonus, Flash the Lights, Ring the Bells, ‘cos once ya couldn’t feed the machine AND have groceries, it didn’t work that way did it? Noooooo, Paddy it didn’t.

Had there been a place with a machine, within easy reach from the supermarket, I’d have gone right there and over six years of hard self-work would been fed into the money slot of an uncaring gambling machine. I Betchya. Saved, only by laziness. What are the Odds of that, pffft.

Its scary actually, how the desire to feed a pokie machine came back and so vividly and instantly. Not all progress is created equal. ‘Step Back From That Machine, Patrick.’

Paddy.
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Problem Gambling.  Empty Re: Problem Gambling.

Post by logical-cents Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Good on you for being strong Paddy.

I refuse to use those new machines, don't know how to and got no interest in learning how. I see them as a way of putting more people out of a job so not gonna support that.
logical-cents
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:12 am

Thats a valid point too, LC and cheers for making it.

I didn't even think of that. 'Tis a lot easier when checkout folk pack me shopping than when I do it, too. Sometimes, a human being even speaks to me.

Nup, no more machines for moi.

Paddy.
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffakiwi Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:08 am

Haha Paddy, I had never made that connection even though, as you say, there are a lot of similarities.

I don't like that they put people out of jobs either. I try to go to human operator usually. I also don't like that there is usually someebody watching you like a hawk too. Even if they don't suspect you of stealing, it's how it can feel.

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down