The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WINZ Disability allowance - any help?

2 posters

Go down

WINZ Disability allowance - any help? Empty WINZ Disability allowance - any help?

Post by loubee Sun May 30, 2010 9:08 am

Hi, this is my first post. I'm seriously thinking that I should go to doctor to get help with depression/anxiety, which I've had for a while and was getting help for in Oz. Wondering tho if I can afford it?? I'm on DBP (solo parent), and wondered if anyone knew if the Disability Allowance would actually cover all costs involved, ie doctor and possibly psycologist appts, meds and the rest. When I was in Oz, I could get a subsidy of about $115/per appt (which actually didn't cover the full cost of psycologist appt) Anyway, I can't actually remember the last time I was happy - which just dawned on me after I had a mummy meltdown today for the 3rd time and ended up bawling infront of my poor daughter again. Is it just me, or sometimes is it hard to notice how sad you've become as it just seems so normal?! Anyways, I don't really know how the system works over here, so I'd really appreciate any help or tips anyone may have in trying access some affordable assistance. Fanks Rolling Eyes
loubee
loubee

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-05-30

Back to top Go down

WINZ Disability allowance - any help? Empty Re: WINZ Disability allowance - any help?

Post by Guest Sun May 30, 2010 9:49 am

Hi,

The disabilty allowerance does not cover the full cost of doc appointments, meds etc. You are able to clain upto $60 a week for medical costs but may be able to get a special benifit for additional costs.

Back to top Go down

WINZ Disability allowance - any help? Empty Re: WINZ Disability allowance - any help?

Post by Guest Sun May 30, 2010 10:01 am

Your GP can refer you to your local community mental health service, if your depression or anxiety is deemed serious enough. I was in treatment at the Manukau Adult Mental Health Service on and off for two years, and only had to pay for my meds ($3 per script). Everything else (appt with psychiatrist, psychologist and occupational therapist) was free. The downside I experienced was high staff rotation, almost every six months I had a different key worker, and they do try to keep your treatment as brief as possible, due to underfunding and always being overstretched when it comes to resources.

Back to top Go down

Post by smiley Mon May 31, 2010 8:07 am

Hi Loubee*waves*
smiley
smiley

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by loubee Mon May 31, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi, thanks very much for your replies. I am very interested in the community mental health services, got docs appt on Thursday, so we'll have to see what she says. Good to know more tho. I've declined meds in past as I'm not big on pharmaceuticals - haven't been to psycotherapist, was wondering if there was much difference between psychotherapist and psycologist treatments. My psycologist in oz said she couldn't really help me much more as I wouldn't take meds at the time.
loubee
loubee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:49 am

Its safe to say most of the people here are on, or have tried, meds.
If you are suffering from depression it would be a good idea to try to get it under control. Its ok to take meds. sometimes we cant do it on our own.

Meds are working for me and while I know they are not for everyone I wouldn't want to be without them. I'm a whole different person when I'm not on them.

Best of luck and welcome to the group

Back to top Go down

Post by loubee Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:45 am

Hi, thanks. It helps me to know that the meds you're taking are helping you. I haven't had much advice about meds from people who are actually prescribed them. Thanks for your welcome Smile
loubee
loubee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down