The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

urgent advice on anti anxiety and anti depresents

5 posters

Go down

urgent advice on anti anxiety and anti depresents Empty urgent advice on anti anxiety and anti depresents

Post by smile4me Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:37 pm

can anyone tell me of a site where u can compare anti anxiety/anti depresants and their side effects or offer me advice on wich are ok?got apt on wed to restart anti depresants and i want to try somethig i havent used before in the hopes of finding a good one,im allso hoping there might be a two in one combo of anti anxiety and anti depreant as my seroquel makes me feel like i cant breath or think or talk or move and panics me.any websites that has good relevant kiwi info?please!

smile4me

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-09-12

Back to top Go down

urgent advice on anti anxiety and anti depresents Empty Re: urgent advice on anti anxiety and anti depresents

Post by Guest Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:55 pm

As you probably already know, different medications work differently on us all so one that works really well for me may not work at all for you or even worse may cause you to have horrendous side effects. There are many good sites online but one fairly reliable one is Medsafe. Personally I would be guided by my doc if I were you, take what they suggest and make you you are monitored closely for the first few weeks to make sure they are agreeing with you and doing the job they have been prescribed for.

Back to top Go down

urgent advice on anti anxiety and anti depresents Empty Re: urgent advice on anti anxiety and anti depresents

Post by Paddy Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:35 am

Two good Posts. Thanks.

Here's my seven shillings and sixpence worth anyway.

The government Medsafe website at http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/
is about the only site I would suggest anyone here in Aotearoa NZ use to find out accurate and responsible information on any and every medication available and approved for use in NZ. And nope, I ain’t paid to say that. I wish!

From Medsafes homepage one can find Consumer Patient Information which leads to this page http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/CMIForm.asp
and that lets one Search for a specific med and leads you to its Consumer Information Leaflet for that medication. These are all ‘printable’, if ya got a printer, that it.

Alternatively, one could go to the Medsafe Index page http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/CMIIndex.htm
where, if ya’s know ya alphabet, you can find anything. Almost.

I’d be worried about ‘collecting’ others experiences to help me make a decision on my meds or potential meds, simply ‘cos we are all so very different despite the commonalities we also find here. But yeah, others experiences are interesting travels as well ‘cos from them we may be fortunate to be able to pick out the odd bit here and there to build new or more robust coping skills

Again and this just speaking for me.

When I finally get around to a doctors appointment, I KNOW I’m not going to verbally ‘tell all.’ I just know me too well. So, I write stuff down as and how it occurs to me in the week or so before the appointment, print it out and give it to the doc. I resist the urge to edit it before I print it, ‘cos editing may just take away something that really did need to be known about.

I don’t care that my writing stuff down may add to my reputation as a pain in the neck at my medical centre – I have the right under the Health and Disability Code (as does everyone else here) to have Service providers listen to consumers and give them information in a way they can understand and that makes them comfortable to ask questions if they don't understand. This may require you to provide an interpreter. Moi, I have a telephone Phobia. To make a call to my medical centre takes about three days of extensive planning, counter planning and countercountercounterplanning, just in case. And that’s even before ‘They’ do the ‘pick up the ringing ‘phone bit’, at their end, sigh.

Or, I can flick them an email to the poor woman delegated the task of being my ‘contact person there’ without the slightest sense of panic and leave it to them to worry about, once its sent. Doh. I even get my appointments arranged by email They’re almost ‘trained’, lol.

It seems to me, that your doc needs to know without a shadow of a doubt, about how Seroquel and others, makes you feel.

Why not just print out this bit that you Posted here, and show it to ya doctor, eh? Cos its honest, its important and its something you CAN do, to help yourself work with your medical people, to find a more safe pathway forward. This bit is all you need to print, hon.

“got apt on wed to restart anti depresants and i want to try somethig i havent used before in the hopes of finding a good one,im allso hoping there might be a two in one combo of anti anxiety and anti depreant as my seroquel makes me feel like i cant breath or think or talk or move.”

Take care and please, let us know how Wednesday goes for you? flower

Paddy
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by smile4me Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:50 am

thanks heaps everyone,i'll check that medsafe out now.i live up north and we are on a rotating psychiatrist system wich means every 3months we get a new psych doc who doesnt know us ,add to that my apointments are 3 monthly so i only see them once so they dont get to know me.i know the records they hold on me have information thats incorrect and i have tried to get them to amend it but all they will do is put a note saying that i dont agree with it,wich really pisses me off as i think id be the one to know weither i was brought up in an abusive family or not,and i wasnt yet they have it down that my father abused me untill my teens.i dont see how that is even possible condsidering we moved countrys AWAY from him when i was very young!i know that doesnt effect the meds choice they make,however theres other inconsistancys in there and thats just an example of one of them.they allso have me down as alergic to aropax wich im not.so before i allow yet another docter to prescribe to me within the same half hour he meets me id like to have an idea of what i want to try and be able to ask him for his opinion of certain meds.i am very aware that what works for one doesnt for another,but ive allso noticed that there are certain brands that dont work or have major side effects for a large number of people and i want to avoid thos particular types,wich is why im gratefull for the website info as it can help me make a more informed choice. santa

smile4me

Back to top Go down

Post by smile4me Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:54 am

p.s i agree about telling doc about the seroquel,however the last guy i talked to decided it wasnt the meds and proceeded to try and book me into a sleep clinic!and then never followed up on it! tried explaining the symptoms occured while awake and shortly after taking the medication but he didnt seem to listen.will try again wed with next doc!
will def let you know what happens! santa urgent advice on anti anxiety and anti depresents 143605

smile4me

Back to top Go down

Post by laworder Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:30 am

I'm on Citalopram myself although haven't really been on it long enough to say if its any good or not. I suspect it is a low impact depression/anxiety med that is used to treat people experiencing these conditions for the first time, sort of the psych equivalent of training wheels on a bike Smile
laworder
laworder

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:50 am

I've been on citalopram for about 4 months now. It has been working well for me so far. I am just upping my dose to 40mg a day now, but it has been alright for me so far..

I'm sure you know everyone is different, so I don't know what Ic an really say that will help

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:24 am

Oh qwerky, we will be Identical Twins, hon - you will be taking the same dosage as me now, woohoo. Lets Partay, Girls!

And do you know what qwerky?

I'm doing a heck of a lot better on the increased dosage than I was on the lower one. Life is still a bit bumpy 'n grumpy some days, but life is like that anyway. I think I'll be sticking to this lot for a lot longer than usual, fingerscrossed. Take care, my new found Twin. Razz cheers
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:14 pm

That's positive to hear Paddy, thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:13 pm

sigh here I am on 20.... I think it is working.. am not sure!

Back to top Go down

Post by smile4me Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:21 am

im thinking of going back on a higher dosage of citalopram,as its the only one thats even remotely made a difference for me.i guess i should stick with what i know and stop hoping for that magic pill! Very Happy

smile4me

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:27 am

It is always great when you find one that works for you. For me I have found Venlafaxine does the job where citalapram didn't. We are all different.

Back to top Go down

Post by mumtothree Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:23 am

ha i'm also on venlafaxine and i'm on 300mg i don't think you can go higher than that once you are over the side effects it is not to bad. goodluck
mumtothree
mumtothree

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by smile4me Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Wink good sesion with pdoc.he put me on 20mg of aropax and is letting me quit the seroquel.he figured i was going to quit it anyway so why not.he was quite concerend that i had been having these reactions and not getting helped.
best news though is he is now our permanent pdoc!no more locums!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

smile4me

Back to top Go down

Post by kidsandme Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:15 am

thats good news Smile, its so hard when you have to go over it al the time, it was like that when I lived up there too, I see nothing much has changed in the last 5 yrs.
Keep at it and hopefully this doc will stick around for a while. Smile
kidsandme
kidsandme

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down