The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did counselling help you?

+4
logical-cents
6egirl
greasemonkey
Worried
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Did counselling help you? Empty Did counselling help you?

Post by Worried Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:55 am

Hi All,

I'm new here and have been trying for a while to write a post. But i just couldn't figure out what to say...

Was diagnosed just over a month ago and have been on meds since. Feeling a little better and i take every day as it comes. Today was a particularly tough day Sad but i'm here to tell the tale and i'm feeling a little better this evening. Smile

I went for my first counselling session this evening. I think it might help me sort out my feelings and help me look inside myself to find out the reasons as to why i have been feeling so down lately. I know it won't fix all my problems but i hope it will help me understand myself again...if that makes sense.

So instead of a big long e-mail about me.. I am liable to ramble on for hours.. i've decided to post a general question to you all.. Has counselling helped you and is there anything i can do to ensure i make the most of my sessions?

ps..Have been reading all your posts on this forum for a while now and even though i didn't participate it made me feel better that somewhere out there, there are other people feeling some of the same things as me.

Thanks all and Take Care Smile
Worried
Worried

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-08-12

Back to top Go down

Did counselling help you? Empty Re: Did counselling help you?

Post by Guest Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:37 am

heya worried...
good on ya for posting!

counselling can be really beneficial, i would like to point out a few, i dont know, pointers i guess....
- most important, if you dont feel comfortable with the person you are seeing - see someone else...we dont get on with everyone in our lives and counselling is no different...
- building up trust is hard, take your time. a good counsellor should understand that
- the counsellor is on your side...
- sometimes it can be helpful to write things down and take them to your sessions..
- dont worry about what you want or need to say, most counsellors would have heard it all and wont be shocked
other than that, i dont know really, but use it as your time, it will be work, and sometimes it might be really painful, but to get through things we often need to confront them head on.
all the best!

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:31 pm

Worried,

with your attitude, you will do well and heal yourself in no-time at all.
Attitude is a major stumbling block for ppl going into therapy.
Yours is good and appropriate and in a short while you will get to see HOW you can get the best out of yourself! I bet!

For Me, I took the positive initiative. Although i did it for the Childrens sake, I also saw that I was gonna use these occasions I had been graciously been given to make spiritual investigations into my own inner workings.
What better arena to do this than with a Baby-sitter.

I am healed now.
I am also grateful for leaping in with-out fear, as fear robs us of success if we let-it!
When we are close to fear, we know success is close.

Please borrow some of My Fearlessness and go for it Next Session you attend.

MOST of ALL, be honest,
thats like grease to a monkey!

Last edited by greasemonkey on Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:34 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : green paint)
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Number of posts : 940
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Worried Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:32 am

Hi and thank you both for your replies....

I am going into this with a positive attitude as Depression has already ruined the lives of several of my extended family members. If there is help to be had i will take it and hopefully the professionals will look after me because i'm not sure i'm in the right place at the moment to truly look out for me.

Imstillstanding.. thanks. I do feel comfortable with the counsellor i got- i dropped a couple of shockers yesterday just to see how he reacted... yes he was suprised but handled the situation very well considering what i was telling him!..I might bring in a few extracts of my journal for him to read....Thanks for the praticle advice..

Greasemonkey!...I am afraid. Have lived a consderable amount of my life in fear...so hoefully you are right and success is not too far down the road for me.

Just in relation to my session, it was insightful, but last night when i tried to go to sleep I REALLY started thinking about what he said to me.. alarm bells started ringing when he subtly and extremely indicated/insuinated that i need to look at my relationship with my partner and not 'ignore the warning signs' anymore.... It was like a light bulb went off.. i realised that A LOT has to change with my relationship with my partner or i HAVE to leave the relationship for sanitys sake...but then i'm just not in the right place at the moment to make such huge decisions about my life...plus i'm a true romantic. I know he loves me so so much and i deeply love him too... I believe that if two people truly love one another they can get through anything..... maybe i'm just foolish.. I know i'm rambelling now so i'll stop.

Take Care all and thanks for your replies!x
Worried
Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:39 am

Sounds as if the first counselling session has started a long, and hopefully healing process for you. You are able to be honest and in vebalising and sharing things it is opening doors that you have firmly shut in your mind. Keep being strong.

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:19 am

long is shortened by volition.
When someones heart is sincere and certain
they know what they want,
they can achieve anything.
Woman as well as men can both be achievors
when love is at the heart of their Relationship.

Not all relationships are love relationships mind you!
Most ppl go into relationship for MATERIAL GAIN,
alot like to have what is termed the Business Relationship;
Only they choose call that LOVE!

When love is your Goal,
Honesty speeds the future into the present,
just as Lies keep the goal outside the NOW!

Why?
because Love is only NOW
never later!

Last edited by greasemonkey on Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : green paint)
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by 6egirl Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:42 am

Well done Worried - it takes bravery, courage and a thirst for truth to go into therapy. And, yes, if you both want to be together, you can be.

GreaseMonkey - never a truer word spoken. Have you read the Power of Now? I am learing after nearly 38 years to live in the now. It takes quite a bit of work because I think I have lived either in the past or in the future for all of this time! Exclamation
6egirl
6egirl

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:51 am

Sounds like you are going well so far Worried.

I started counselling a few weeks ago, been about 3-4 times so far I think. Dunno if it will work, maybe if I can hold out at it, but dunno if I can keep on doing it, kinda sick of it now. Counseling is never really something that I've been able to keep doing.
logical-cents
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:36 am

6egirl wrote:Well done Worried - it takes bravery, courage and a thirst for truth to go into therapy. And, yes, if you both want to be together, you can be.

GreaseMonkey - never a truer word spoken. Have you read the Power of Now? I am learing after nearly 38 years to live in the now. It takes quite a bit of work because I think I have lived either in the past or in the future for all of this time! Exclamation

"RE: power of now!"
No, but I know the bloke who wrote it!

Staying present is a full time activity at first,
when this dawns upon us,
but when we increase our joy in being HERE more often
fear falls by the wayside.

Look at it this-way.

Fear can only be here if you dont know yourself!
When Being fearless as you KNOW YOURSELF TO BE
fear dissolves completely

Afterall,
we create fear out of the conciousness we dont know as Ourself!
In essence
we are Concious Beings!

Last edited by greasemonkey on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : green paint)
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by 6egirl Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:44 am

Tolle would say that fear is a projection of the ego in order to keep you from the now. I'm still working on it.
6egirl
6egirl

Back to top Go down

Post by 6egirl Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:47 am

And do you really know the guy who wrote it GM?
6egirl
6egirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Worried Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:15 am

Hi All,

Thank you all for your kind words..its been a horrible few days.. will prob start a post in the Journal section this evening..

I havn't been feeling too well since counselling. He made me think about things that are just too difficult for me to process right now. I've been really down since the session trying to figure out what to do with me life.

I cried while driving all the way home yesterday evening. Went to bed really early as i was so drained.. but woke at 2am and started bawling crying again...could not control my crying or calm myself down...got up for a couple of hours and back to sleep again...slept in by an hour this morning and was late for work!....
Worried
Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:48 am

6egirl wrote:And do you really know the guy who wrote it GM?

what is really?
Ask Him!
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:01 am

Counselling is one of those funny things. If it is working properly you intially feel like shit as you face up to the issues you have. Over time you will start to feel better as you confront those issues and take control.

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:09 am

if youre the kind of person I Am.....
you can awaken
and leave the shit alone.

Attachment to thought
is where its at.

After Objectiveness is reached
One finds owning ones power
much easier!

love
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Floss Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:46 am

Heya worried

Thanks to you I am going to try for counselling too, so I will watch your posts with interest. Hope your day is going well. Talk soon

Floss alien
Floss
Floss

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Worried Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:13 am

Hey Floss,

Great to hear that you have decided to go down the counselling route. My doc figures that med's only go so far and that 'talkiing therapy' is what helps the most!..

I'm so glad i've done something to help someone else here, as much as everyone here has helped me!

I'll keep posting here after each counselling session and in my journal.. be sure to let me know how you go!xxx cheers
Worried
Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:30 am

A husband and wife went in for counseling after 47 years of marriage.

When asked what the problem was, the wife went into a passionate, painful tirade listing every problem they had ever had in the 47 years they had been married. She went on and on and on: neglect, lack of intimacy, emptiness, loneliness, feeling unloved and unlovable, an entire laundry list of un-met needs she had endured over the course of their marriage.

Finally, after allowing this to go on for a sufficient length of time, the therapist got up, walked around the desk and, after asking the wife to stand, embraced and kissed her passionately.

The woman became quiet and sat down as though in a daze.

The therapist turned to the husband and said, "This is what your wife needs at least three times a week. Can you do this?

The husband thought for a moment and replied, "Well, I can drop her off here on Mondays and Wednesdays, but on Fridays, I play golf!"
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Floss Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:28 am

Oh my god Gm!!!!! My partner plays golf at least 3x a week. How Ruuuude!
Floss
Floss

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:54 am

oh dear,
sowy
Sad
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by BungI Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:45 pm

i believe it made me worse in away as i started off with a cool guy who every second week we would get out of the office and play pool together while chatting about things.. until his wife got pregnant and he had to stop work. i was given a new guy and he fell asleep in one session so i never went back...

BungI

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:15 pm

oh dear, what an awful experiance you had bungI

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:10 am

BungI wrote:i believe it made me worse in away as i started off with a cool guy who every second week we would get out of the office and play pool together while chatting about things.. until his wife got pregnant and he had to stop work. i was given a new guy and he fell asleep in one session so i never went back...

lol! LOLlololol!
You sure have a great sence of humour bungI.

Imagine what next maybe on the list
waiting for you?
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_sky Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:33 am

Roswell wrote:Counselling is one of those funny things. If it is working properly you intially feel like shit as you face up to the issues you have. Over time you will start to feel better as you confront those issues and take control.

Thats exactly how i feel Roswell. I hated having a counsellor and refused to attend sessions. Anyway at first I hated it and things got worse for me as I hated going I hated talking I hated listening I hated having the stupid check lists and other handouts and info but the more i go the more i actually liked my counsellor and found things do get easier and im actually benefiting from it! Oh I have a CADS counsellor by the way and yeah im doing well this time round. I have been back and forth many times but this time Im sticking with it!

claire_sky

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:10 am

Good to hear that couselling seems to be working for you currently claire.

Keep sticking with it and you will grow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next