The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anxiety attacks==can you give me advice

4 posters

Go down

anxiety attacks==can you give me advice Empty anxiety attacks==can you give me advice

Post by angiebabe Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:45 pm

Crying or Very sad just found out yesterday (thur 29th april), that I may be experiencing "Anxiety" Rolling Eyes --have been under some stress this week--and freaking out about it--cause its ALL out of my control in the end.
BUT this stress/worry is getting me very low, and it consumes all of my energy (not that I got much at the mo),
even go to bed thinking about this stupid stuff confused

Has anyone experienced "Anxiety attacks", and how to deal with them??

Thanks if anyone can help teach me to just "Switch off" !!,and get a bloody good rest!
angiebabe
angiebabe

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down

anxiety attacks==can you give me advice Empty Re: anxiety attacks==can you give me advice

Post by claire_sky Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:32 pm

Hi angie, I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and sorry i havnt got any great tips other then breathing exercises. I had a panic attack at the airport in customs a few months ago (very very very very embarrasing) and i had nothing to hide but it was the queue of ppl that set me off and there was nothing i could do but suck on my rescue remedy and let it do its thing. *turns red just remembering this* Breathing techniques is the best thing. There was a great thread on it somewhere on here!

Oh yaeh where is greasemonkey these days???? It was called mediation or something??? Someone else might know.

claire_sky

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

anxiety attacks==can you give me advice Empty Re: anxiety attacks==can you give me advice

Post by daze7 Fri May 01, 2009 1:18 am

Hi angiebabe ...... I've got a good book that I'll put some ideas up soon - I'm just dashing off to play Mah Jong - sanity time for me!

Daze
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2009 1:34 am

Hey,

I experience panic and anxiety attacks. There is some benifit form counselling and you can be taught breathing exercises.

There are also some medications you can take to help control your anxiety levels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Easily Amused Fri May 01, 2009 2:37 am

Go to the library or trade me and get hold of any books by Claire Weeks. If you are interested I can give you a link a website where you can listen to her online , she has since died , but her teaching and ideas are great. She has made a huge difference in my life. I could never ever be alone for fear of anxiety and panic and I was so agoraphobic I couldn't even get to the letter box. I'm still not cured , but I can be alone at home and can go anywhere with company and can go on short drives or walks alone ..next step to be able to go anywhere alone.
Easily Amused
Easily Amused

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Fri May 01, 2009 9:38 am

I'm back - here are a few suggestions from Iris Barrow's book 15 steps to overcome anxiety and depression. She uses some of Dr Claire Weekes ideas.

Accept, relax and float through - ARFT

One cannot be relaxed and anxious - they are two sides of the same coin

Learn relaxation techniques

Exercise

Positive self talk

Try not to add stress to stress

Reduce the fear you're experiencing

Learn to recognise when you're getting stressed out

And go to yoga (my suggestion) or relaxation classes (or listen to a CD)

The books offer so much more - I found just reading about yoga made me feel much calmer! Hope all this is helpful. I'm afraid there is no 'quick fix' - but talking out feelings is very helpful too. ..... take special care, Daze

PS Zenmonsta put up a good relaxation script here. See Tips and Handy Hints
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down