The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electroconvulsive Therapy

+3
rebelnut
Maisie
Jazskye
7 posters

Go down

Electroconvulsive Therapy Empty Electroconvulsive Therapy

Post by Jazskye Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:20 am

Wasn't really sure where to post this, but i was wondering if anyone here had received ECT? i am currently receiving this treatment, but was wondering what happens when its finished does the good feeling last? my Psychiatrist isn't the most helpful of people, and never answers my questions, but im scared about what will happen once this treatment stops.
So if anyone has been through this i would love some feed back.
Jazskye
Jazskye

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-05-26

Back to top Go down

Electroconvulsive Therapy Empty Re: Electroconvulsive Therapy

Post by Maisie Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:22 am

I havent been through it, but despite having some real reservations about it, I have seen it used to really good effect with people during the time I was at Ashburn. I dont quite understand why it would work, but the people that I am thinking of, one was a 19 year old young woman who was absolutely at her wits end; and the other was an older guy, about 65 years, who was having it again, after having good results from it about 15 years earlier.

They differed in the number of sessions they had, and whether it was done to one or both hemispheres of the brain. (Not sure how they decide that either!).

I really hope it works for you!!!

Maisie

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2011-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelnut Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:08 am

far out, i cannot for the life of me get why that treatment is still being used, i mean out of all other alternatives and they still seem to feel the need to give ect, it revolts me this still happens as i saw so many lives ruined by this treatment both here and overseas, it's not something i would ever consent to no matter how bad i felt.

rebelnut

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebird1 Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:22 am

It is not being used when there are other alternatives. It is totally a last resort and is never given without consent. Some people benefit greatly from it. It is just scare mongering comparing the use of ECT today to the way it was used in the past.
Bluebird1
Bluebird1

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Maisie Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:55 pm

I agree with you BB. Its a valid option for some people.

Maisie

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelnut Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:49 pm

Bluebird1 wrote:It is not being used when there are other alternatives. It is totally a last resort and is never given without consent. Some people benefit greatly from it. It is just scare mongering comparing the use of ECT today to the way it was used in the past.

still, why do they even still use this and call it therapy, one would think after all these years that the ect would be a distant memory by now, nothing to do with scaremongering, i saw firsthand it destroying people, if it helps good, but personally i could not think of anything worse in the treatment regime, that goes for the meds etc as well.

rebelnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Maisie Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:10 am

They still use it and call it therapy because it has evidence-based success for some people in certain situations.

It can be given without consent if a person is under the mental health act and 2 psychiatrists agree that it is the best option. That I do find scary.

Maisie

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelnut Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:48 am

Maisie wrote:They still use it and call it therapy because it has evidence-based success for some people in certain situations.

It can be given without consent if a person is under the mental health act and 2 psychiatrists agree that it is the best option. That I do find scary.

i so agree with you there maisie, the funny thing is when the old man said that most psychiatrists are nutters themselves LOL, only because they have never walked in our shoes and have learnt from books etc, sadly i find over the years i am inclined to agree with him as not much has changed for me to alter my view on them apart from a couple of excellent nz doc's, i find it really hard to think a foreign medic has any understanding, especially of tangata whaiora etc.

rebelnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelique Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:46 am

Maisie wrote: It can be given without consent if a person is under the mental health act and 2 psychiatrists agree that it is the best option. That I do find scary.

I was referred to see a psychiatrist but now I'm put off....
Angelique
Angelique

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-10-23

Back to top Go down

Electroconvulsive Therapy Empty ok

Post by Guest Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:28 am

..yup it certainly does benefit some as a last resort..Im a survivor of where it used to be used as a punishment on us teens..in an unsuitable way..(volume turned up on old machines and no meds)This has no bearing on the beneficial way it can be used today whatsoever..always good to get a second opinion from the experts..thats very important..in fact a second outside proff opinion is quite often endorsed by a good clinician..cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by MusicOnMyMind Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:21 am

I have seen people who literally would have died without it... and I don't mean through intentional means of harm... they were that severely shut down that even basic reflexes no longer worked.

The thing is, people who undergo ECT these days usually request it, and 9/10 are glad they've had it because nothing else was working, and the relief is quite quick.

I'd have it myself if standard treatment didn't work! I'd just ask that they prescribed damn good pre-meds, as I freak out quite badly at the thought of anaesthetic.
MusicOnMyMind
MusicOnMyMind

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Shonah Fri May 04, 2012 6:55 pm

I don't know if I'm posting in the right place but here goes.

Over here in Scotland ECT is used when other treatments fail. It can be a real life saver for some people who are deeply depressed. My mum tried to persuade me to ask for it when I was very ill. Fortunately drugs worked for me in the end. For a friend of mine though it's been crucial and over the years it's been the only thing that's pulled her out of the worst of her depression.

Shonah

Shonah

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down