The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello everyone - Not too sure what to say

5 posters

Go down

Hello everyone - Not too sure what to say Empty Hello everyone - Not too sure what to say

Post by Itry Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:09 am

I am a single mum with 2 beautiful boys. Have been fighting depression/anxiety/PTSD for a long time now. Everything was going great. I think it was a couple of things that triggered my latest bout of not feeling so good. I don't want to go back on meds and I don't want to be feeling like this either. I have my boys depending on me and I owe it to them to get myself sorted. Can anyone recommend any good books? I am a great believer in helping myself. Haven't had much luck or confidence in the mental health system. My family just keep telling me thay I need professional help as mental illness runs in the family. So won't be going there either this time. Not that they will know anyway as they live in another country.
Itry
Itry

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone - Not too sure what to say Empty Re: Hello everyone - Not too sure what to say

Post by kidsandme Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:17 am

Hi Itry,
i too am a solo mum but with 2 girls, i suffer from PTSD and depression.
I know for me that at the moment i couldnt handle not being on my drugs and i doing pretty good, even if i do say so myself!
Your boys depend on you being heathy and happy and if you cant be that without drugs it could effect them, im not saying that you should take drugs but maybe you could talk to your doc if you trust her/him, and let them know whats going on, a short course of soft meds might be all you need to get you back on track.
I hope to see you on here again and maybe we could get to know each other better by chatting in the chat room at bottom of home page once you have signed in.
Take Care
KandM
kidsandme
kidsandme

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-11-20

Back to top Go down

Hello everyone - Not too sure what to say Empty Re: Hello everyone - Not too sure what to say

Post by Itry Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:25 am

I know what your saying kidsandme.
It is hard though. I hardly ever go to the Dr and I don't really know her and she doesn't know me. No one actually knows what is going on here at the moment. Lucky for me 2 of my boys are not here. But they are due home next week. I was sort of hoping there was another way.
Itry
Itry

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:40 am

Hi Itry ... welcome to the BBD ...... Good to see you here. There are many books that I've read - some really good - some OK - but like they say 'take what you want and leave the rest'!

Iris Barrow .... '15 steps to overcome anxiety and depression' is a practical one

Joe Dunn(e) ... 'Think like a shrink'

Susan Jeffers ... 'Feel the fear and do it anyway'

Susan Jeffers ... 'Dare to connect'

Bev ??? (Aisbett ? .. not sure of the surname) ... 'Living with it' and 'Taming the big black dog'

Some people find Louise Hay's books helpful

Julia Cameron .... 'The Artist's Way'

Goodness, I'm trying to remember others - there are so many and other people will have more suggestions I'm sure. It also depends what (if any) root causes there are for your depression. Hope these are helpful.

Take care, ... Daze
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by lowdown Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:25 am

Welcome, Itry.

Perhaps a first step is finding a doctor you can trust and talk to...?

I don't think anyone likes being on meds, but sometimes you need to be just to get back on your feet and to a place where you can start doing what you need to get better. Sorta breaking the cycle.

Kia kaha, and looking forward to talking to you in chat when you feel ready.

lowdown

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Lonely Girl Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:06 am

Welcome I Try.
I cant recommend any good books, but I can suggest your health store. I have depression and didn't want to go back on prescription drugs again. I admit that the more natural options also require a bit of trial and error, but can be helpful. I have found a pretty good state at the moment. I use 5HTP (Solgar - brand) 2 at night, and I take a good quality magnesium supplement in the mornings. Plus going to the gym and trying to eat reasonably healthy.

I have found that adding the magnesium into the mix has really helped. I read somewhere that in some people the depression can be partially atributed to a magnesium deficency, so I thought I would try it.

Good luck and welcome. You will find lots of info round here - with a bit of luck some of it wil help you. Just stick with it and if something doesn't work try something different.
Lonely Girl
Lonely Girl

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum