The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weaning off venlafaxine advice

2 posters

Go down

Weaning off venlafaxine advice  Empty Weaning off venlafaxine advice

Post by pumpkinpie Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:46 am

Hi everyone in new to tbbd. I have been on venlx for 18ish months now for anxiety. I want to come off it. I've tried before and once I got down to 37.5mg, I had the awful brain zaps a lot. I am on 75+37.5mg at the moment. Does anyone have any advice??

pumpkinpie

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-02-28

Back to top Go down

Weaning off venlafaxine advice  Empty Re: Weaning off venlafaxine advice

Post by uniqulyme Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:43 am

You have been on it fo a longish time, so your brain chemicals have really adjusted to it. You will have to wean off a lot slower. Why are you coming off if you dont mind me asking>>

*quote from drugs.com* Venlafaxine is an antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs). Venlafaxine affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression

So unlike some other anti depressants this affects more than one chemical in the brain. You could speak to your doctor about changing to something milder like escitalopram or similar. Im not a doctor, but I have tried many different medicines over the years to find the right one that works for me.
And to be honest, i come off them when im feeling better ... but its the medicines that are making me better ....... so now I just stay on them
uniqulyme
uniqulyme

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down