The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GP's in the Hutt/Wellington area

2 posters

Go down

GP's in the Hutt/Wellington area Empty GP's in the Hutt/Wellington area

Post by acejase Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:23 am

I haven't had a GP in about 7 years (the time I have lived in Wellington), except for a brief time with my old job around the time I was diagnosed (no access to that now of course). I'm being troubled lately by my mood swings and seemingly constant depression (I don't feel sad but I feel 'flat' - no motivation for anything). So I reckon I should get me set up with a GP... my question I would like to put forward is: which GP should I sign up with (assuming they are not full-up as most tend to be)? I distrust docs that immediately reach for the prescription pad as soon as they've heard the symptoms - I would prefer medication to be a last resort (I have no trust at all for the trillion-dollar pharmaceutical industry).

Probably one of the main reasons I haven't done this sooner is fear of escalating costs... I remember the psychiatrist that work sent me to charging something like $300 an hour... there's just no way I can afford anything like that... can someone shed some light on what it can cost to manage bipolar through professionals?

acejase

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-07-09

Back to top Go down

GP's in the Hutt/Wellington area Empty Re: GP's in the Hutt/Wellington area

Post by Fluffy_Ducks Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:46 pm

$300!!

i'm not in the area, and have no advice for you there.
i dont' have bi-polar either so again, rendered useless Razz

but, i did see a post of Paddy's in another unrelated thread that suggested making an appointment with the practice nurse and then using her knowledge of the doctors to help you make a decision.

i too am quite wary of these big pharmaceutical companies that 'help' by giving you pills that create more problems - but also agree that there are times when you just need to take the pills to get through the phase that you're in.

rather than wait for a magical answer, you may just have to book an appointment and go see someone. let them know when you start the appt how you feel about the prescriptions and say that you're looking for a more wholistic approach.
Fluffy_Ducks
Fluffy_Ducks

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down