The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rejection, daeth and taxes

2 posters

Go down

Rejection, daeth and taxes Empty Rejection, daeth and taxes

Post by deathsoonplease Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:35 pm

This morning I was listening to some christian teaching on the subject of rejection. I have some thoughts I would like to share and get your thoughts on as this is as common an experience as death and taxes.
When I am rejected whether by a member of the opposite sex or because of poor performance at work the feelings that go along with that seem to seer the memory of it into my brain, such that it becomes a persistent memory carried with me for the rest of my days. It also affects my behavior in that it becomes a feeling I never want to experience again, and I have quite a few of these events stored away. I am wondering if the intensity of it is a common experience or just unique to me.
Whilst I have felt the sting of rejection, I am also guilty of rejecting others too for various reasons, some judgmental and others circumstantial. They just did not fit in to my plans at that time. This also lead me to wonder what it was like for them; was it the same, are those memories burned into their brains as they are into mine. I'll not beat myself up over this because we all judge to some degree and we all have our own journey to take. Having said that I do know of some people who are genuinely accepting of all kinds of people.
This mornings teaching mentioned 3 pillars on which good emotional health stands. A sense of belonging, a feeling of worthiness and confidence. Take away or undermine any one of these and the structure is significantly weakened and will eventually fall. For most of us here that structure has been weakened and in my case it seems to have collapsed completely.
So apparently the only one who will never reject us is God. If somehow you believe that in your heart it will restore those 3 pillars by giving you a sense of belonging to the christian community. You are worthy because God sacrificed his only son in order to re-establish his relationship with you, and finally gives you confidence because with God on your side anything is possible. I know of no self-help programme, medication, or medical procedure that will do that. Even if this isn't true just imagine what a difference it would make if somehow you were able to internalise such an idea and let it affect your behavior.

deathsoonplease

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-03-06

Back to top Go down

Rejection, daeth and taxes Empty Re: Rejection, daeth and taxes

Post by Fluffy_Ducks Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:55 am

what i think happens, is a significant event creates that feeling when you are young and unable to process it with a rational mind, and so you have no option but to believe it was your fault, that you're not worthy etc. then as you go through life, events continue to happen that recreate that feeling that you experienced before and reinforce the feeling you have about yourself. until it becomes too overwhelming, and small things have massive triggers of emotion that you (still) don't know how to cope with.

in the case of rejection, sometimes it's healthy to reject someone that doesn't fit, sometimes it's circumstantial, and other times it's self-sabotaging... each of these should be looked at on a case by case basis. it is not appropriate to blanket label yourself as "someone who rejects others" because of those individual events.

i suspect, that unless they have had a similar life of intense situations early on, that led them to feel worthless, compounded by more situations as they go through life; they are unlikely to feel as deeply about it as you would in their shoes, and so it is not a thing to feel guilty about.

i don't believe in God as a religious person might... but i do believe in myself. i am here. i exist.
Fluffy_Ducks
Fluffy_Ducks

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum