The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sleeping tabs

4 posters

Go down

sleeping tabs Empty sleeping tabs

Post by Apricot Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:42 am

What do you use?

Past I have a few different varieties, quickly becoming used to dosage and being right back at start again.except worse off, IUSWIM!

So..just picked up first script for melatonin...and...it isnt subsidised like most things.

Just seems so stink that they will help pay your addictive pills, but not nonaddictive.

WTF? Suspect
Apricot
Apricot

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

sleeping tabs Empty Re: sleeping tabs

Post by Guest Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:44 am

My doc just gave me a new one and only like seven of them at a time because of my history. Can't remember what they are called though but, my brother has the same one as you and he said its good.

Back to top Go down

Post by MusicOnMyMind Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:26 am

I found melatonin helped a bit with quality of sleep, and at one point it alone was enough to get me sleeping again.

Now... not so much. Am currently using Quetiapine and Lorazepam with the melatonin to try and get sleep. Averaging probably 3-4 hours at present. Not ideal, but things have been worse!
MusicOnMyMind
MusicOnMyMind

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by loveroses Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:32 pm

I take melatonin some nights to try and get sleep, have suffered insomnia since about Oct last year, some nights no sleep at all, some 3 hrs but man it wears you down. A couple of times a week I take a zoplicone just to try and get a few solid hours sleep. Maybe I stopped sleeping and got depressed or maybe I got depressed and stop sleeping?? All the best with getting some good quality sleep!!

loveroses

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Martinc Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi loveroses - I used to use melatonin for helping with jetlag after long haul flights - it's a natural chemical that the body manufactures mostly in the evenings as an aid to sleep. I guess that taking it is safe as opposed to most of the other drugs that are used. I found it only moderately effective. Despite the horrible taste the next morning I prefer zoplicone - that’s a mild hypnotic that helps you get off to sleep. It won't keep you asleep though - if you wake up some hours after taking it you would have to take another.
I'm on a particular medication for my bi-polar that really sends me off and keeps me there. The dose is tricky - I had to experiment until I found the right amount - you might ask your doctor if Quetiapine would be appropriate. It's a mood stabiliser that has this soporific side effect.

Martinc

Registration date : 2010-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Apricot Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:30 pm

The melatonin didnt help me at all and am now on Quetiapine. Last night I woke for a large patch and just hung there. Not had that before. Was awful. Feel like I just havent had enough sleep today. Whacked. Is awful to feel so tired before you even begin...

Hmm, dont know that the stabiliser effect is doing much for me either with these pills...Im up and Im down...many times over ...roller coaster...hard work, for everyone.
Apricot
Apricot

Back to top Go down

Post by Martinc Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi Apricot - I can understand that. Not sure if you're bi-polar or depressed?
In addition to quetiapine I'm taking lithium, venlafaxine and buproprion. My sleeping is not too bad - sometimes a little slow to get going in the morning. Talk to the quack about your quetiapine dosage - it varies considerably between individuals. e.g. I'm only taking 25mg but the standard dose is up around 150mg. I started on 250mg and was zombified for almost 24 hours - I progressively halved the dose again and again till I got to a point where I was sleeping but able to wake up in the mornings/
Hope you get some satisfaction soon.

Martinc

Back to top Go down

Post by Apricot Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Hi Martinc.

Supposedly only depressed....Im not so sure myself.

I take 3 25 mgs at night and am meant to take 1 in the morning also.. I think once we become sleep deficient, it takes a while to catch up on what we hae missed, if we are able too!
Apricot
Apricot

Back to top Go down

Post by Martinc Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:06 am

Wow - 75mg at night - I guess we are all affected differently by quetiapine - as I said - if I took 75mg I wouldn't wake up till morning tea!
Not sure if I would want to take any in the morning though.
You're right about sleep deficiency - it can take quite a while to get back to an even keel and then you have to build up the sleep habit again.
Building a regular sleep pattern and habit is very important - I've been trying to go to bed at the same time most nights, after a shower, and then I read until I'm ready. I find the quetiapine takes about an hour to kick in - what about you?
Good luck, M

Martinc

Back to top Go down

Post by Apricot Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:18 am

I had a call from my health worker today to see how my new meds were going. Told her I was battling with agitation...so she recommends I take the quietipine in the morning also....so said I will try it.

Yes, its called sleep hygiene, the regular pattern forming to help make it habit...I have always struggled, both with sleep...and regular patterns to anything....haha.

On a bad nite, I can be reading at 3am....I just figure Im wired wrong way roger!
Apricot
Apricot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down