The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working and Depression

3 posters

Go down

Working and Depression Empty Working and Depression

Post by uninspired_artist Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:50 am

I have in the past tried to work but am unable to hold down a 40 hour a week job due to getting really depressed and a bit social phobic. I start all enthusiastic and rearing to go then it all goes to the dogs!! I want to be able to go back to work, (am a mum to a 3 year old at the moment) but I am afraid that I will get majorly depressed in a working environment. How do you cope going back to work? I know we need the extra money to pay bills and save for a house but there is so much pressure to go back (Dad just says its laziness and it upsets me). I want to work but as it stands I don't have a very good work ethic... Any help would be apreciated.
uninspired_artist
uninspired_artist

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Working and Depression Empty Re: Working and Depression

Post by peter Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:51 am

Hi - and hey - well done for wanting to work, it is so easy to admit defeat and just give in!

I used to work 4 days full time until a breakdown last year. Luckily for me my was quite understanding so after a break I came back, but only part time, 2 days. I found that this was all I could mange and really needed the time off in between to recover. Since then I have gradually increased my hours until I am now working 5 days although still on reduced hours.

So how much do you think you could manage easily to begin with? If you are looking for work then part time may best best for you as well.

Another thought is that mornings were always the worst time for me so I now start at 9 instead of 8 and finish earlier at 4 well.

Start small and build on that - it has taken me a year to get this far but so far so good.

good luck (and ignore your dad - if he does not understand it is his problem not yours, and you have to do what is best for you)

peter

Last edited by peter on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:55 am; edited 2 times in total
peter
peter

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-01-07

http://www.viewinsidehead.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by peter Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:53 am

Ps - have just looked you up and I think I may have the same sense of humour . . .

can get you in trouble though, and probably best not to work as an undertaker ;-)

peter
peter
peter

Back to top Go down

Post by uninspired_artist Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Hehe, well I have applied for one job ( I don't have a CV so I was honest and said that other than last four years raising my son lol) Its casual/part time so that should suit me. Yes my humour does get me trouble sometimes especially when I poke fun at the co-ordinater at the mental health group I go to. But it's all good he knows how to take it and deal it! Long road to recovery and starting small is a good idea Smile thanks xxoo
uninspired_artist
uninspired_artist

Back to top Go down

Post by peter Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:30 pm

Thats good news - good luck with the job.

A couple of last thoughts - in my own experience looking after my youngest, it is easy to get caught up rushing from work to chidminder to home etc. So now I make sure that I get some time just to myself. It is only maybe an hour a week, but I sit in a cafe away from everything and read or just reflect on how things are going . . . works for me.

and, you've probably thought of this but when you get to the interview, remember to mention what brilliant support you have from parents,husband, childminder etc just to put their minds at ease about you being unpredictable cos of illness etc -they are not supposed to ask but . . .

peter

peter
peter

Back to top Go down

Post by uninspired_artist Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 am

I wish I could have one of those work from home jobs, but don't know where to find one. I got rung up from an American company once but they wanted money... Of course I said no! I have a good typing speed so wonder if there is some data entry from home work out there. Then I really wouldn't have to worry about going out and working! Just stay at home... Not very sociable then though. I am not very happy with my preschool lately either so I might have to change too, oh the dramas we have had with my son and his best friend play fighting! Preschool says they just can't handle both the boys together... I seem to handle them fine when his friend comes over, but then it is just me and two children rather than 20!!
uninspired_artist
uninspired_artist

Back to top Go down

Post by peter Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:47 am

I would love to work from home as well - but I think for me it would just be running away . . .

Sounds a bit like the two boys are just bored and lack direction - perhaps the teachers should give them tasks to do or get them to help around the classroom, may redirect some of that energy they have . . .

peter
peter
peter

Back to top Go down

Post by uninspired_artist Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:32 pm

Well I applied for a Health Care Assistant last week and told her that I didn't have a C.V and she said that was fine. Now I am really worried, I am "Morbidly Obese" With arthritis in my hips (yes I know I'm only 26, but I kinda broke my hip when I was 11 due to puberty weakening my hip, because I was growing too fast). I have two operations scheduled for the next three months -one next week and one three months later (Carpal Tunnel). How do I go about applying when I have these problems... First time I am not too worried about depression! I want to work, even for a couple of hours a week, get me back to a bit of normality, get some extra money in and of course the company and training it can give me. I am just I suppose worried that because I am fat that I don't deserve to work. 135kg is a hell of a lot of weight!!! Oh now everything is getting me upset ahhh!!
uninspired_artist
uninspired_artist

Back to top Go down

Post by peter Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Hey - just hang in there . . . small steps remember ;-)

(and since when were only thin people allowed to work?)

peter
peter
peter

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Have you thought about delivering the likes of Homecare or Avon magazines??

I too am finding it hard to get back into work. Was fired from my last job end of May last year because of health reasons. I have though managed to get into interviews but then it seems you say anything about your health and you get sent a rejection letter.

There will be a job out there for you. Just might take a while to come across it.
logical-cents
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by uninspired_artist Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:45 pm

Tried Avon, not the best for me that's for sure! I can't do anything now, I have my carpal tunnel operation in two weeks (was supposed to be on Tuesday, but everything was cancelled because of the snow). One hand then, three months later the other! Just working on myself now and had to pull my 3 year old out of preschool because of his safety, I would love to say some horrible words right here ones that start with F. Thankfully I have support with LINK and had a great day on Thursday, just what I needed.
uninspired_artist
uninspired_artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum