The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re christmas, does anyone else get even more depressed?

5 posters

Go down

Re christmas, does anyone else get even more depressed? Empty Re christmas, does anyone else get even more depressed?

Post by Apricot Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:53 am

Hi, I am new here,
But certainly not new to the issue of depression. It has affected me and my life, for many years.

For what ever reason, christmas is always extra hard for me, my phobias flare up stronger than ever and cause me more grief, my mood gets worse, I feel lower, sadder, less able to cope etc.

Is it only me, or does it affect others the same way?
Apricot
Apricot

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Re christmas, does anyone else get even more depressed? Empty Re: Re christmas, does anyone else get even more depressed?

Post by logical-cents Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:01 am

Hey Apricot,

Did anything happen around this time of year that might trigger it for you??

I get more depressed around this time of the year since I moved away from my family. Even though I can get down for Christmas Day, it's the lead-up to it I don't like. The 1st of December is the hardest coz of something that happened last year. Can't stand the crowds either.
logical-cents
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Re christmas, does anyone else get even more depressed? Empty Re: Re christmas, does anyone else get even more depressed?

Post by Apricot Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:06 am

Im sorry you have a bad memory that comes up for you.

For me, there is no real reason, I just feel alone, I have a small family, and my stupid phobias, which make day to day life harder for me when everything around me, shops roads etc being so much busier.

I just find it hard to cope. I have difficulties with lots of people, but also find the music in the shops seems to throw me, I find it all too loud, and along with all the visual stimuli, the sounds and people. its like wahhhh, let me OUT!!
Apricot
Apricot

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:44 am

I find I get grumpy round xmas.

I hate going into town cos of the crowds and bussle. I have a social anxiety disorder.

I find xmas functions hard to handle as well as I am surrounded by strangers and also find that hard to deal with. I have a xmas luch to go to next week which should be ok as I know some of the prople going.

Xmas has been a lonely time for me for a few years but I slowly building up networks of people and going to two lots of friends for xmas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:17 am

Xmas and December in General Sucks like a Sucky Thing Sucking on Something Sucky at the Grand Finals of a Sucky Thing Sucking Competition.

When I am Boss of the World, December will be banned. Till then, Bah Humbug.

I suppose if ya MUST HAVE FUN then ya can but I ain't, I refuse to. It sucks.

I'll be here on Xmas Day. Here at TBBD.

There is only one situation that would change my personal feelings and thoughts of this Month and it aint gunna happen, not this year, (yet again) so yeah, its my problem, not Decembers or even the 25ths, really. Sucks, aye. Bah Humbug. And, Feck!
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:31 am

From what I've read and experienced Christmas can be a very stressful time - Some of the reasons are:

pressure on families to provide presents they maybe can't really afford

buyng into the 'myth' that everyone else is deliriously happy

The general 'buzziness' - shops, lights, traffic, people, advertising etc

Excess alcohol consumption causes endless problems - arguments, violence, financial pressure

Feeling left out if not included in celebrations

being affected by past Christmases (my father refused to open his presents one year because my mother would have said a word out of place (in his warped mind) - could have been the week before, three months before - who knows!)

I'm sure you can all think of other things too!

Soooooooo -

we've tried to make the day a bit different - my husband cooked chicken curry one year

(my husbands parents had a hotel and took a Christmas tour, so it was a case of 'here's your present, now go and peel the potatoes'!)

make your own rituals or don't have a ritual at all

PS ..... It doesn't always work, but have a go ..... Lol

Daze
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Me Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:36 pm

I have found that getting torn between celebrating Christmas and Hanukkah is so stressful that i didn't want to celebrate either. Over the last year one brother had a cancer operation, one had a serious heart attack, my husband had an abdominal aortic aneurysm, a brother in law died of cancer, a aunt had a heart attack last week and me with my problems. I have a friend with a bad heart, one fighting cancer, one with serious mental health issues to name but a few of them. It makes me realize that even though this time of year is hard or very lonely for most of us it could very easily be our last. What I have found is all the glitter, hype and the cost is not what it's about. It's about family, friends, friends you have yet to meet and people who are by themselves and don't have anyone to celebrate with. Being together and enjoying each others company whether through chat sites, family meals or something put on by the churches or the local council. My son used to take little gifts to some of the elderly in our area at Christmas so they new they weren't forgotten. As a young man he still visits some of them and helps them in any way he can.

Me

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down