The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Citalopram

+5
woppow
Bella
lil_miss_haley
Paddy
greasemonkey
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Citalopram Empty Citalopram

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:28 pm

Hey guys,

I've been on citalopram for about 3 months..
Just say I stop 'Cold turkey'. What could happen? Something/Nothing?

I have searched on the net but found nothing, so thought i'd come here..

I suppose any ideas would be nice.

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Citalopram Empty Re: Citalopram

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi there Qwerky

I wouldn't stop cold turkey if I were you.

Give your doctor a call to see,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:50 pm

eh, can't be bothered

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:59 am

Hey Qwerky,

As with any anti d stopping cold turkey is not advised. The advised way to come of anto d's is to wean oneself off them over a period of weeks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:14 am

I don't want to wean myself off it- but don't worry, i'll probably be getting another prescription today anyway.
So you think 3 months is long enough to get withdrawl symptoms?

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:36 am

[quote="qwerky90"]Hey guys,

I've been on citalopram for about 3 months..
Just say I stop 'Cold turkey'. What could happen? Something/Nothing?

I have searched on the net but found nothing, so thought i'd come here..

I suppose any ideas would be nice.

Thanks[/quote

You seem of two Minds querky!

WHAT made you accept to take the drug
and WHAT made you reconsider
your first action?

THAT you must entertain as your POWER
as THAT is making you a HELL-LIFE!

Please dont experiment with your Gross-Body.

Entertain a spiritual attitude toward life
and you will BLOSSOM.

love

Last edited by greasemonkey on Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : green paint)
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Number of posts : 940
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:42 am

Qwerky hon.

You’re an Adult so its your decision but my two cents worth would be to suggest it wouldn’t necessarily be one of your better ones this year, hon.

You should check out the Medsafe Consumers Data Sheet on Citalopram – its
http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/a/arrow-citalopram.htm
and here’s a wee bit of info from it:

“… CITALOPRAM is used to treat depression and helps prevent potential recurrence of the symptoms of depression.

It belongs to a group of medicines called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). SSRIs are thought to work by their actions on brain chemicals called amines, which are involved in controlling mood.

Depression is longer lasting or more severe than the "low moods" everyone has from time to time due to the stress of everyday life.

It is thought to be caused by chemical imbalance in some parts of the brain. This imbalance affects your whole body and can cause emotional and physical symptoms, such as feeling low in spirit, loss of interest in activities, being unable to enjoy life, poor appetite or over-eating, disturbed sleep, often waking up early, loss of sex drive, lack of energy and feeling guilty over nothing…

How long to take it
Keep taking ARROW - CITALOPRAM every day, as it takes some time before you feel any improvement in your condition.

Like other drugs of this type, ARROW - CITALOPRAM will not relieve your symptoms straight away. You should start to feel better after a few weeks, depending on your response. The duration of treatment may vary for each individual, but is usually at least 6 months. In some cases, the doctor may decide that a longer treatment is necessary.

Keep taking ARROW - CITALOPRAM for as long as your doctor tells you, even if you begin to feel better.

The underlying illness may persist for a long time. If you stop your treatment too soon, your symptoms may return…

Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly.

If the medicine is stopped suddenly, you may experience mild, but usually temporary, symptoms such as dizziness, feelings like pins and needles, sleep disturbances (vivid dreams, nightmares, inability to sleep), feeling anxious, headaches, feeling sick (nausea), vomiting, sweating, feeling restless or agitated, tremor, feeling confused or disorientated, feeling emotional or irritable, diarrhoea (loose stools), visual disturbances, fluttering or pounding heartbeat (palpitations).

When you have completed your course of treatment, it is therefore advised that the dose of ARROW - CITALOPRAM is gradually reduced over a couple of weeks rather than stopped abruptly. Your doctor will tell you how to reduce the dosage so that you do not get these unwanted effects…”

Tis only a small handful of pills, qwerky - I'm taking some too - I tell ya what, it doesn't long take to swallow them and then, the rest of the day is yours to make of it what you will.

Pat.
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by lil_miss_haley Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:12 am

Qwerky when I was on citalopram a couple of times I would go off cold turkey. I really don't recommend it because I could really notice it when I did, I got really really down and depressed and things seemed a hell of a lot worse. In fact once when I went off them I attempted suicide. Reasons I stopped - didn't wanna depend on drugs, thought I was fine, didn't think they were doing anything.. I was very wrong.

When I finally did go off them I weaned myself very slowly, I tried a couple of times with the weaning and you just know when its working. As soon as the bad feelings came back I upped my dose again.

If you REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get off them wean yourself very slowly, and if you start feeling like your just nope coping as well (you know the feeling) PLEASE start taking them again.

It would prob be easier and much nicer to yourself staying on them again... 3 months isn't a long time, but it should be long enough for you to start noticing a difference. Hope that little novel helps

Haley xx
lil_miss_haley
lil_miss_haley

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:03 am

ohk.

I have got a new prescription and have started again.
Thanks for the advice though. Smile
You guys are very nice.

I guess i'm like what you use to be like- eg, I think I feel better, I feel like i'm fine; Haley.

Sigh.

I guess I just don't want to be on them for longer because it could be a whole lot harder when I try wean myself off them..But I guess that is in the future and not in the now- and I should look in the now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:56 am

hey qwerky

don't worry, you'll get there and the drugs are only a temporary part of the healing process,

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Is it wrong to want to stop taking it so you would then feel like crap?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:31 pm

in short my answer is yes,

the question that raises in my mind is why do you want to feel like crap?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:08 pm

So people might love me more? Sad

I'm a terrible person, I know that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:23 pm

I took citalopram for a short while. I felt 'great' on it. But was clumsy, couldn't string a sentence together, and ended up having an accident that virtually took my top lip clean off my face.

It is never advisible to stop taking medications without your doctors advice. Although, having said that, I have stopped taking medication because I now feel ready to 'feel' again, and medication stopped me from doing that.

Yes, at times I do feel crap, but if you are ready to handle that, have support, and are aware of what it happening, then I understand your decision.
I guess you really need to explore your reasons, and decide for yourself why you no longer wanted to be on the stuff.

Best wishes for a clear future.

Bella

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:40 pm

I guess i've aways been clumsy and i could never explain things. I've been told that as I get older i'll become more experienced at talking. I hope that is true.

I don't think i'm ready to feel crap. I'm tired of it and I wish it would just disappear, but I know that won't happen any time soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:52 pm

qwerky90 wrote:So people might love me more? Sad

That took courage Qwerky. A beautiful, courageous piece of honesty. For once, you have given me a reason to like you.

Last edited by JK on Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:00 am

I don't really understand what you mean, about how I haven't given you a reason to like me.

Sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:15 am

Qwerky, I know acceptance and being liked by other people seems really important, but you know, there are no perfect people out there, and it really doesn't matter if people like you or not, as long as you learn to like yourself.

You seem an open caring person to me, and those are qualities that are in very short supply in a lot of people.

You're an ok person, don't forget that!!

Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:19 am

I have always tried to live my life by the golden rule "do unto other as you would have them do unto you" or treat others as you would like them to treat you.

People like us, with depression need to change that a little.
My motto is now, "do unto myself as I would do unto others", in short, treat me with the same kindness, respect and forgiveness, that I give other people.

Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:21 am

ok i'm being stupid- sure whatever.
I'll stop talking now. I'll only get myself in trouble

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:24 am

No way are you being stupid, infact you are being very wise.
You are talking about how you are feeling, and not bottling it up.

That takes guts to do Qwerky, I still find it hard to talk.

Talk until you can't talk anymore, do whatever it takes to feel better.

Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:27 am

Scream yell, jump up and down and wave your knickers in the air, you life is about you, it's yours to claim, anyway you can.

Get angry if you have to,
You know what I do, I get an old phone book, write the name of the person that is getting to me on the front, and tear that phone book into as many pieces as I can.

Makes a hell of mess, and of course I end up having to clean it up. I may look like a total looney when I'm doing it, but by god it's fun!!

Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:02 am

Hi Qwerk, sorry I made a typo.
I meant to say you have given me a reason to like you. I could see what you you were doing, and it annoyed me at times.

It was really refreshing to me to see you acknowledge one of your flaws.

Recently I've discovered I am more attracted to people who have flaws and admit them, than those who pretend to be perfect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:53 pm

we all have flaws, and no one is perfect!

Qwerky, you are not stupid, you are an attractive, smart young women - you know that in your heart of hearts.

I'll add more soon, just need to get going out sunny

Back to top Go down

Post by woppow Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:14 am

My Brother is on Citalopram also. He feels it doesnt work, Like you do. - I am just letting you know ur not alone. Hes doc is thinking about upper the dose. Do you think that would work for you?
woppow
woppow

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2009-04-12

http://www.makeadifference.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: