The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doctors I have encountered ......

3 posters

Go down

Doctors I have encountered ...... Empty Doctors I have encountered ......

Post by daze7 Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:58 am

Thinking about your visit to your Dr today Paddy brought to mind some of the Drs I have had in the various places I have lived. When I was first diagnosed I had a great Dr, thank goodness. I've had several really good ones. The last Dr had trained elsewhere in the world and said she couldn't understand why so many NZers were depressed - we had so much going for us - she had worked in a 'poor country' for 3 years before coming here and depression wasn't nearly as common there. So .... I gave her a lecture about the society she had come to work in - lots of addictions, (if one understands them you'll hear them everywhere!), what happens to a child brought up in an alcohol/drug centred home, consequences for individuals from being abused in childhood, the effects of incest on a child, the effects of rape, physical violence, emotional and psychological abuse, ignorance ... blah, blah, blah. I think she was pleased to see me leave. I had no faith in her at all. Now I have registered with another Dr where I've moved to - will be interesting to meet her.

What have others experienced?
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Doctors I have encountered ...... Empty Re: Doctors I have encountered ......

Post by Guest Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:17 am

The last gp I had I went back to four or five times in a 3 month period cos I was slipping. He said I was not unwell enough for support from the community mental health team and took me off some meds that had sort of stablised me.

A couple of weeks later I had a major melt down and got into trouble cos of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin (Paddy) Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:33 am

Daze, I understand your comments on doctors.

The bloke I'm seeing is the best thing to happen to me medically, in years. He listens. Asks questions that shows he listens, and doesn't hurry me out of the rooms ASAP. And we sometimes have a bit of a laugh about some misfortune thats befallen me since my last visit. He's done more than he maybe realises, to keep me above ground, especially in late 2006/early 2007.

I can't recall the last time I was as open, honest about my 'feelings', hopes, dreams and terrors as I have been with him. And he's resigned. Fed up with the Medical Trust that employs him, I think. Bugger, cos I make a 156km round trip to see him, rather than find a new, unknown doctor in my new town where I know no one.

I'm dreading having to 'start again' with some new GP - and have to explain that sometimes I'm depressed cos my spinal injury is really bugging me and that my nerves feel on fire (like today) and sometimes my legs forget how to walk and I fall; sometimes I'm depressed cos thats just the phase I'm at with being bipolar; and sometimes (but not so often now) I still get a bit agitated about childhood abuses, despite ACC Sensitive Claims provided counselling about which, the less said the better.

You raise some interesting points in your post about foreign trained doctors and perceptions they may have gained overseas about mental illness in its many forms, and I think the 'toughen up' attitude may be more entrenched in them than in Kiwi doctors.

I shall ask the Medical Council a series of questions based around your comments, Daze - and post their reply (or lack of one) so all can see the official storyline on societal acclaimatisation and immersion of foreign doctors accepted for registration and practicing certificates in NZ.

Have a good night, k. Sweet dreams.
Admin (Paddy)
Admin (Paddy)
Admin

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:59 pm

Morning Paddy, I'm really sorry to hear your very good Dr has resigned - where's he going to next?? Do you know? Maybe, just maybe he will be near enough to you for you to continue seeing him - 'magical thinking'? Lol ... Don't you get sick of 'telling your story' to new doctors!! I actually don't feel the need now - just go for prescriptions now and the usual women's things!! I hope your next Dr is understanding. My first Dr was really good - he could see I had no idea why I was depressed - he spent hours with me and when I was moving I thanked him for his exrtra time - he said quite simply - 'you needed it'. I am forever grateful that he had the knowlege, insight and patience that he had.

That's a good idea about the medical council. Good on you - writing to people is a good way to use any energy - questioning the system etc.

I hope you have a good day Paddy.
daze7
daze7

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:10 pm

Morning, I have an appointment with my 'new' doctor today. My 'slogan' is to 'keep an open mind' until I meet her! Hope it goes well.
daze7
daze7

Back to top Go down

Post by Books4NZ Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi Daze and Paddy..

I hope your appointment went well Daze.. and that you've found a doctor that listens and supports..

Have a lovely Tuesday..
Books4NZ
Books4NZ

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:14 pm

Hi, Well, the Doctor was great - asked me to tell her about myself. I gave her a very brief outline of my physical and mental health. I would be quite happy going to her and discussing any concerns. (She is also from another country). She told me where there was a great dog park! where I can take Molly. I didn't know about it so that is good. That's a relief.
daze7
daze7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down