The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do doctors change medication?

Go down

Why do doctors change medication? Empty Why do doctors change medication?

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:00 pm

I was on Fluoxitine, now I will start to take citalopram on Friday after a short break from Flux.

I had thought I was getting better, but the doc doesn't think they are working as well as they should (?)

I am so confused now, a break - then another drug to adjust to??

What is the difference between the two. The doctor said that they both do the same thing, but in a different way......hmmm .... I am really struggling with this as I don't understand it.

Why put my body through this change?

Back to top Go down

Why do doctors change medication? Empty Re: Why do doctors change medication?

Post by Guest Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Hey ML,

At least you have the confidnece to go to your appointments- Good on you for that!

Other than that, I can't help you sorry. But things work differently for other people- I know you know that. And i'm sure the doc has seen it a lot more than you have to know what could work better for you.

Just take it as a gift that your doc is acknowledging you and is doing all he can for you to get better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:13 am

I am so useless sometimes....it just sucks!
pale

So worthless, not worth it not worth anything,

Why are we here? I am so questioning life at the moment. We are only here to replicate and then die,

Why take me off the meds, then start me on a completely different one? Was I not getting better, I just don't understand. And yes I did ask him at the appointment and he replied that these do the same job, just in a different manner,

Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:10 am

Hey ML,

HAng in there.

Different people react differently to different meds. The meds many have been having some effect on your moods, depression etc but sometimes not the full potential effect.

What your doctor is doing is what I call the guinea pig routine, basically trying different meds at different doses till he finds the one that works best for you at a given dose.

You just have to rememebr that any mediciation the doctor puts you on is trial and error. I know it is frustrateing but hang in there.

Ros

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:14 am

If we weren't here to just replicate and die then why do people like my best friend get cancer - it's so not fair!

And I am obviously not well, or getting better.

God I just want this over, I hate it with a snakes venom...

Where is that 6foot trench...about 5'6 in length, no worms please.

Sad

By the way this is no way an attention seeking, paranoid thread. Yes it may be stupid, but it is just the way I am at the moment. affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:33 am

LOL Mylife. Well done. I love it. Good on you for standing up for yourself!

Now, didn't you stand up for yourself the same way with your doctor? Using your own words, this is YOUR LIFE and you have control over it. I know at times we are told to trust the professionals... but you live your life 24/7 and that doctor sees you for what, 15 minutes every month or so? I feel if you felt fluox was working you should have kept on it!

My completely untrained, unprofessional opinion is that fluox might have done the best for you that any medication would. The rest of your problems need to be addressed by counseling and CBT. Having said that though, citalopram has a good reputation and you should have faith in it.

BTW, my harsh comments are usually said to provocative. I am never nasty just for the purpose of being malicious.

JK.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:55 am

I am so glad you find it funny JK.

And I have not said you were being nasty with malicious intent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:11 am

*sigh* I still don't understand.

Ah well start the new ones tommorrow, have stopped - slightly - flippingout over this,

just don't understand..

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down