The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does medication work for you?

Go down

How has antidepressant medication worked for you?

Does medication work for you? Vote_lcap10%Does medication work for you? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]
Does medication work for you? Vote_lcap50%Does medication work for you? Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 5 ]
Does medication work for you? Vote_lcap20%Does medication work for you? Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Does medication work for you? Vote_lcap20%Does medication work for you? Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Does medication work for you? Vote_lcap0%Does medication work for you? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 10

Does medication work for you? Empty Does medication work for you?

Post by jaffakiwi Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:28 pm

I've seen a few threads recently, and have also came to my own personal conclusion that medication does not help my depression. I'm beginning to wonder if medication is not as successful as the doctors who prescribe them think they are.

So my poll question is, how has medication worked for you?
Please note: this poll is for people who take medication for depression. If you've tried a number of medications, answer about the one you have found most helpful.

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Does medication work for you? Empty Re: Does medication work for you?

Post by Guest Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:12 am

I voted "It doesn't help - negative effects"

I have taken citalopram, fluoxetine, aropax, effexor and quetiapine. None of these helped my depression, in my opinion, and most of them had bad side effects.

I remember not feeling anything at all while on citalopram. Nothing could really bother me. I couldn't be happy, couldn't be sad, nothing at all.

Fluoxetine made me very hyperactive. It was nice to have energy for a little while (because depression had made me very lethargic) but that soon became extremely annoying. I couldn't sit still, couldn't watch a movie without feeling compelled to get up every 10 mins, never felt rested, though also never felt tired.

My body couldn't tolerate Aropax. I tried that for 5 weeks, and was sick/nauseous for that whole time. By far the worst drug I have been on.

Efexor made me extremely tired. And every time I tried to come off it, I got so sick and dizzy that I was unable to function very well. I could not afford to take time off sick, nor could I afford myself not to drive my car for two weeks (because that is how bad my dizziness was), so after 2 or 3 days I always got back on it. I often read people found it easier to withdraw from heroine or coke, than withdrawing from Efexor. I can imagine this. Only after I was off it for 2 months, did I suddenly realize how debilitating that drug had been for me. For the two years I took Efexor, I had been tired, lethargic, easily sleeping for 12-16 hours a day (every day). Everyone thought I was lazy, and stayed in bed not to have to face the world, but I really was tired. And if no-one woke me up I could easily sleep for 16 hours, and even those short 8 hours I was up, I'd feel tired and sleepy. And I was on the lowest dose, 75mg if I remember correctly. I thought my tiredness and lack of energy were part of my depression, but once I was off Efexor I was amazed by how energetic I felt. I had forgotten what it felt like to wake up in the morning, after 8 hours of sleep, and feel rested. During the two years I took Efexor I had never once felt rested.

I took quetiapine only a few times. It was prescribed to me on a "when needed" basis, for anxiety as well as insomnia (it seemed odd to me that I could take something that was meant to put me to sleep during the day as well, to calm down from severe anxiety). This drug was too strong for my body as well, or maybe I should have stuck with it longer so my body could get used to it. It felt like it put all my limbs to sleep. There was no way I could take this during the day and continue to function. It was weird, like my limbs were sedated, but I was still awake. Yet every muscle movement, however slight, cost me a huge amount of effort. Just walking from my bedroom to the living room left me exhausted.

I should add I'm quite petite. I am female, 1.54m tall, and not very heavy, so this affects my metabolism a lot, drug-wise.

I am now drug-free, and it is by no means easy, but I'd never ever go back to being on anti-depressants.

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffakiwi Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:03 pm

@ladybug Thank you for sharing your experiences Smile

I experienced emotional numbness on all the drugs I took. Couldn't feel happy, enjoyment or humour. And Venlafaxine made me constantly nauseous.

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down