The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) Week 2009

+2
Bluezero
Admin (Paddy)
6 posters

Go down

New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) Week 2009 Empty New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) Week 2009

Post by Admin (Paddy) Sun May 03, 2009 12:17 am

Today marks the start of the New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) Week, 2009.

This is important for a whole lot of reasons, many of which I'm only starting to understand, myself. Did you know for instance, that NZ Sign is an official language here in Aotearoa New Zealand, with theoretically equal standing with Te Reo and English? I say theoretically, 'cos not much seems to be done by officialdom to educate the general population about NZ Sign, which is why I think that this week is important.

I have no real idea what it is like to live in a soundproofed world but I suspect it might be an experience I would find incredibly frustrating. And if living with mental illness can be a tad frustrating at times, and if deafness might be frustrating too, what might it be like to have both mental illness and profound deafness?

Welcome to New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) Week 2009!

NZSL Week is about all New Zealanders celebrating and promoting New Zealand Sign Language.

The theme for this years NZSL Week is “The Future of New Zealand Sign Language is In Your Hands”

Sign language is an official language in New Zealand and its also important because it gives Deaf people a voice and freedom to enjoy a full life.

Best of all, Learning NZSL is Fun! It’s a unique way of communicating.

Please, take the time to visit the NZ Sign website at http://www.nzsign.co.nz/ and learn more about this special week. And whilst you're at it, have a look at http://www.nfd.org.nz/?t=62 - its an information page about Cochlear Implants.

Why am I telling you this stuff? 'Cos deafness and mental illness are NOT mutually exclusive. You can have both. Thats really gotta suck at times. And we understand a bit about that feeling, here at TBBD.

Thanks,
Pat.
Admin (Paddy)
Admin (Paddy)
Admin

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) Week 2009 Empty Re: New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) Week 2009

Post by Guest Sun May 03, 2009 2:16 am

thanks Paddy,

I used to look after a lady who was 100 and deaf...and she only signed in swear words...

Hahahaha.... I was only 15 at the time...so was a REALLY good role model...

Back to top Go down

New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) Week 2009 Empty Re: New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) Week 2009

Post by Bluezero Sun May 03, 2009 8:33 am

Thanks for posting Paddy, it means alot to me as you know I am Deaf. (am a Cochlear Implant user too).

I'm volunteering this week in the library on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
There is an Opening Ceremony on Tuesday. It's semi formal as well. So I gotta find some nice clothes to wear. I was supposed to RSVP but I forgot. lol.

Got a free teeshirt as well. I may post it of me wearing it... it depends but I look fat in it. lmao.

Michelle.
Bluezero
Bluezero

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Sun May 03, 2009 9:36 am

Hi Bluezero ... and thanks Pat for putting this up.

My husband, son and I went to sign language classes. We have a profoundly deaf nephew and cousin. He was just a little boy then and we found that we couldn't sign quickly enough ... he'd screw up his face as if to say you're too slow!! ... and rush off ... I used to write notes to him and he'd write back.

He is married now which I was very pleased to hear.

Good on you Bluezero for helping out. ....... Daze
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 03, 2009 7:31 pm

good on Bluezero, you'r great

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_sky Mon May 04, 2009 4:31 am

Hey ya I was once taught some sign language not sure where or when but i do remember some stuff and quite often use teletext and subtitles watching movies (when i can actually concentrate for more then 3 mintues). Hope they have some of the intepreters on tv at times this week. I enjoy it.

Oh yeah i remember why i know some sign language now i used to do CSW now and went to a few deaf houses. Man my memory is terrible. But anyhow thanks for letting me know its NZSL week!

claire_sky

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Chatzs et al Mon May 04, 2009 6:07 am

hi i've been learning nzsl since Feb - its really great, I also go to the Deaf club here in chch every friday night, my partner too is fluent in nzsl Smile
Chatzs et al
Chatzs et al

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 04, 2009 6:12 am

Cheers Paddy

Watched Tamati this morning interviewing a group of people who have a hearing impairment or complete deafness. It brought back a memory for me . learning greetings, congratulations, i like etc as we had a deaf student with interpreter attending our school. On a farewell card to me she said " You always listened to me" amongst other well wishes. Really made me feel good. Smile Have fun this week Bluezero - sounds like a very busy one for you:)

Poetry
flower

Back to top Go down

Post by jomatt Tue May 05, 2009 3:06 am

I have always wanted to learn how to 'sign'. But I think I would have the same trouble as Daze and would probably be too slow lol lol. Really worth looking into though.
jomatt
jomatt

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down