The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alcoholism and Agrophobia/Panic disorder.HELP

+2
daze7
Dylan27
6 posters

Go down

Alcoholism and Agrophobia/Panic disorder.HELP Empty Alcoholism and Agrophobia/Panic disorder.HELP

Post by Dylan27 Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:03 am

Well Ive ended up on this site,and the amount of genuine helpful people on here looks promising.Just thought I'd explain my situation and see if anyone out there in the world wide web can relate and/or offer advice,strength,or anything really.
I suffer from Agrophobia and a panic disorder.Im also alcohol dependent-well an alcoholic really.After countless attempts at abstinence and self-help,Ive realised I still dont have the tools or the strength to beat this alone-hence why Im on here.Up to,and including now I haven't been able go to AA meetings,councelling,etc because of my illness,so I get frustrated,depressed,withdrawn and turn to my "trusty friend',self-medicating with alcohol,which is a mask and a temporary break from my head.But of course,the next day,alcohol has heightened my anxiety and panic and Im back at square one,so again,I drink,and so on and so on.My alcoholism feeds my mental illness,and vice versa.I dont know what I expect from this site,I guess I just figure I've got nothing to loose,but realistically just to know Im not alone would be nice.

Dylan27

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Alcoholism and Agrophobia/Panic disorder.HELP Empty Re: Alcoholism and Agrophobia/Panic disorder.HELP

Post by daze7 Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:14 am

Hi Dylan, Welcome to this great site! There are all kinds of people here - lots of caring and hugs. (when you want or need one)

The chatroom is at the bottom of the first page. People come a go at all different times.

Are you a reader? because Dr Claire Weekes writes some very good books about treatment for agrophobia, also Iris Barrow and there's a guy in Auckland or Hamilton who teaches Dr Claire Weekes method of treatment. I've seen it on Trademe at times - will have a look later and see if I can find the website.

I'm sure there are many people on here who can offer support, understanding, and tips for coping. Good on you for coming here ... the first step is sometimes the hardest.

As far as the drinking goes AA would be beneficial - it's the most successful self-help group in the world! You would certainly learn some coping skills to help beat the booze! ... and take control of your life. ...... Daze
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Alcoholism and Agrophobia/Panic disorder.HELP Empty Re: Alcoholism and Agrophobia/Panic disorder.HELP

Post by Dylan27 Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:22 am

Cheers for that daze,I'll look up those names.Ive read quite a few "self-help" books,sometimes they inspire short-term,but then I get frustrated and give up.Need to learn to be patient,and stay focussed at getting my life in control!

Dylan27

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:39 am

Hi again Dylan .... i suppose the first step is to get some help with the panic and agraphobia ... have you seen a psychologist? Panic attacks, anxiety and any phobia are awful - but - they're all about fear - well terror really! Reducing the fear to a manageable level is what treatment is about. I used to have panic attacks - didn't know what they were - soon learnt. And it took a huge effort to get out the door and go to a bank or shopping etc. I now go all over the place with no fear - but I do have to watch my stress level and monitor it.

There will be others here who can offer encouragement and help to you too.

Daze
daze7
daze7

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:56 am

Here's the website of that guy who has been sooooo helpful to many.

http://www.panicfree.co.nz/

Daze
daze7
daze7

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenMonsta Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:31 am

Hi Dylan

My name is Monsta and I'm an alcoholic. If you would like to talk

about your disease please feel free to drop me a private message. I am not online a lot atm but can come online generally if needed.

Claire has bumped our addictions thread and I am sure there is some helpful information re treatment in there.

I am currently a client of CADS Mt Eden where I am an outpatient. I am 136 days sober today and credit the programme with saving my life!

Cads (community alcohol and drug services) are available in Tauranga through the hospital and you can self-refer. Initially you go in for an assessment and then you begin the programme.

I am not sure of the format for Tauranga but my treatment plan was as follows......

Pre-entry (where you are encouraged to own your addiction and work on gaining 14 days sobriety) once you have your 14 days or sometimes loner you enter an intensive outpatients programme which lasts 8 weeks (9 hours per week). I dont know how this will fit in with your agoraphobia but I do urge you to make contact with CADS 07-579 8391 and discuss your issues with them.

The programme is based on the AA 12 step programme and you are encouraged to attend AA meetings as well.

I am happy to answer any further questions that you haveand help in anyway I can. I will PM you my mobile numbers so that if you need to txt me to come on here you can. Please feel free to use them or not as you wish.

Congratulations on recognising you have a problem and your courage to begin to do something about it. I wish you well on your journey.
ZenMonsta
ZenMonsta

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by lifeshouldbegreat Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:36 am

hey dylan,I think it was me that pointed you towards this site,correct me if Im wrong. I hope you find this place a safe haven like I have and if you ever need to chat you can message me at that other place*big hugs*
lifeshouldbegreat
lifeshouldbegreat

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Easily Amused Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:24 am

Hi Dylan , I'm following the teachings of Claire Weekes that is done by David on from the website that has been put on here...if you can't afford to join David , I also have a link to a free site that is very helpful...I suffer from acrophobia, anxiety and panic attacks , so much so I have only just started to spend time alone and had gone nearly 10 years where I always had to have some one with me ...but after doing Claire weekes I have learned to spend time alone and even go out alone for a short time ..if you want to chat PM

Merrilyn
Easily Amused
Easily Amused

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_sky Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:08 am

Hi dylan and others Smile

Alcoholism is something i struggle with every day!

Question: Is alocholism hereditary? I come from a long line of drinkers! My siblings however wont touch the stuff!

Anyway my reason for posting was to assure you, you are not alone!

claire_sky

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:14 am

Hi Claire ....... yes, from what I've learnt alcoholism can be hereditary or certainly a pre-disposition ... a bit like depression ..... and one Dr told me that some alcoholics are bi-polar and self medicate with the booze. My father was possibly bi-polar as his behaviour was out of control a lot.

My father, both grandfathers, stepgrandfather, sister, another brother-in-law, first mother-in-law (she was a Friday to Sunday drunk but wouldn't touch it during the week!) ... and who knows how many others of the family that I don't know, were/are alcoholic!

I attempt to follow a 12 step programme for 'Adult chlidren of alcoholics' ... (as well as other things)

Daze
daze7
daze7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down