The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

panic attacks and depression

+10
daze7
logical-cents
smiley
bright spark
.imstillstanding.
Martine
traceylee
Paddy
Apricot
eldritch
14 posters

Go down

panic attacks and depression Empty panic attacks and depression

Post by eldritch Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:57 pm

any one on anything for panic attacks associated with depression?
eldritch
eldritch

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-01-12

Back to top Go down

panic attacks and depression Empty Re: panic attacks and depression

Post by Apricot Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:52 am

Diazapam.

But I avoid the situations. Many of them. Dont have a 'normal' life
Apricot
Apricot

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by eldritch Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:28 am

i was just given alprazoiam, same family as Diazapam. but you have to be carefull not to become adicted. Also told today its proberbly going to be a moth before the prozac kicks in - arggggg affraid
eldritch
eldritch

Back to top Go down

Post by eldritch Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:29 am

oh im having panic attacks lying in bed in the morning, not sure how one avoids that?
eldritch
eldritch

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:07 am

Seriously, and this doesn't cost a lot and you can replace the main bits as often as ya fancy, or can afford to.

Go to McDonalds, ask em if you can have a couple of burgers, fries (drink is optional) to take out. Thats important to remember. Take Out.

Look what ya have. Food that will probably never perish and the important bit, that big strong brown paper bag.

When you feel an attack just tingling away saying 'I'm gunna get you', you say to to yon attack 'Oh No You're Not, cos I'm the Boss now.' And you rumple up the 'neck of the bag, hold it to your mouth and breathe deeply and slowly, in and out of the bag. It works, PaddyPromise.

I can't vouch for the efficacy of the burgers and fries, but it was an Ambulance Driver who taught me that wee trick. Ya want a good, robust paper bag if ya can, n Maccas has to be for something, surely?

Take care, eh?
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by traceylee Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:54 am

some days i cant be bothered doing anything not sure if this is a panic attact or not

traceylee

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:31 pm

traceylee you may be feeling "a free floating anxiety" a panic attack when you have one you will know you're having one.

Its a feeling you'll either shit or go blind. Choking, racing heart, terrible fear of doom /stroke/heart attack all at once fear your going to run out in the street naked, because the core body temp goes up (Flight ? Fright ?)

Paddy's brown paper bag works a treat. You say to the panic attack out loud "OK MOTHERF.....Do yer worst) fight it back as if it was the school bully
because that's all it tis and breath long and hard into your brown paper bag.

When you feel ok (it lasts minutes only) try to eat the McDonalds. I dare ya.
Martine

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:58 am

Hi,

I am on resperidone which is an anti psyotic but is also used as an anto anxiety med. I take it twice a day (meant to be three but kept forgetting lunchtimes so took it with my morning pill).

You can also try magnesium which has a claiming effect, good for nerves and also aids sleep.

I also have but havent used for a while Welda Avena Comp Sedative drops. It is a homeopathic remedy to calm you. I use to use it often. Another one you could try is rescue remedy. If you are going to try these you are best to go to Healtheries 2000 or similar and get them to check it wont interact with your meds.

Back to top Go down

Post by .imstillstanding. Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:07 am

hi all, have been a wee bit concerned as the other day I had what Im sure was was right on track to be a panic attack.
I had the heart pounding, shaking, nauseous, felt like I was going to faint...I had to bolt from where I was and it took probably a good 30 - 35 minutes to calm right down again.
Thing is, whilst I have been depressed for a very long time, this is the first time I have ever felt this panic.
These can be just one off events?
Anyone else just had one and never had an issue with it again?

.imstillstanding.

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:22 pm

yep. in my last job i had a couple... then again I hated my job.

Back to top Go down

Post by bright spark Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:37 am

I have revitol which I drop on my tongue at the first sign of a panic attack ..almost instant acting....Haven't used it in ages but when a really bad one hit it was the only thing that worked for me..
bright spark
bright spark

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by smiley Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:37 am

yep bugger bugger bum..I am the master of disappearing
smiley
smiley

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2010-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:35 am

Hi all

I take clonaz and sometimes quetiapine.

Today I went to my Dr, I have avoided going since the end of last year, due to the anxiety level I experience there. I'm not sure why it happens 'there' I have an excellent relationship with my Dr. anyway...

Today I had the usual anxiety attack, did the breathing exercises, then swallowed a clanaz as a last resort. I was shaking from head to toe, noticed and commented on by my Dr. "perhaps you have a phobia?" After leaving the appointment I realised I was COLD.

I may be wrong here, but maybe correct???? Did I go into 'shock' after the anxiety attack????

I have thought up a rather simple plan for my next appointment, which hopefully is in 3 mths time and not next week! To take a warm jacket LOL true, possibly a woolen rug too. Very Happy

Anxiety sucks, however when I look back, I now can leave the house, go to the library, get my weekly groceries and other wee jobs that would have been too much to deal with. Touch wood this continues.

I hope this makes sense..blah

flower

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:19 am

sure does.. congratulations of your progress thus far.
Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:36 am

I suffer from (what they say) severe anxiety/panic attacks, I know most of my triggers for it, unfortunately lots of them are unavoidable. I'm on Lorazapam only 1/2 tablet a day, I only take it when I really have to though. Go back to work in just over a week, luckily I am back to the days I was doing so on the slightly quieter side of the week, but I know when it gets busy or I'm going into a situation where I get anxious/panicky that 1/2 tablet is not enough to put it off.
logical-cents
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:53 am

Hi ..... Poetry, you say you were cold. My understanding of anxiety or panic attacks is that all the blood rushes to the parts of the body that need it - as in for the 'fight or flight' response. (As if there is a perceived real danger) The mind senses 'danger' when in reality there generally isn't any danger. It can become a repeated response - and become 'the fear of the fear' - my therapist explained: but you're only afraid of the way you feel when 'it' happens. One tenses up in situations.

The opposite of the fear is being relaxed - two sides of the same coin - you can't be relaxed AND anxious. Yoga, relaxation classes or sessions, tai chi ... any of these things can be very helpful ... so one goes about life and situations in a much more relaxed state.

I used to have anxiety attacks (didn't have a clue what they were!) but don't have them any more but I can get a bit anxious about things but NOW I can talk about how I feel, and why I feel that way.

Anxiety and depression often go hand in hand, unfortunately.

Hope this is helpful. Daze
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi Daze

Thanks for sharing your understanding of anxiety/panic attacks, and also to hear that you don't have them any more. (a lot of hard work, I am sure)

I'm having another visitor today PDN. I'm going to problem solve and get some understanding of my 'reactions' when I go to My Dr.

The other 'maybe' link is I have a thyroid problem and take thyroxine. My Dr in the past has reduced the med - due to anxiety. My physical reaction was 'deep bone - cold' - so he returned it back to the levels I'm currently on.

I did some googling - and there is no link between anxiety attack and feeling cold afterwards..sheeks ah, darn it. Oh well, least I wont look like a 'right dork' traipsing in to my next appointment - covered in 'woolen rugs' (looking something like a sasquatch)

Maybe my Dr is right 'Phobia'... dam it - oh well today I'm home, safe and listening to the birds singing. Tiz a good start to the day Very Happy

Thanks DAze Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:23 am

Sorry for hogging this thread...but

I discussed with the PDN what happened at the meeting with my Dr. She was able to point out Trauma (PTSD) which is another one of my wee problems, that this would be why I felt cold. I don't know why it happens 'there' but this sounds logical to me. Understanding why, is a step to 'working though this' and hopefully putting in place some security nets. flower

Ka kiti ano

Back to top Go down

Post by EGBAR Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:01 am

I was given quetiopine for my anxiety attacks. What really pisses me off is that the panic attacks have turned me into a reluse.
EGBAR
EGBAR

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakake Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:12 am

I had very weird panic symptoms while on Zeldox. I have now switched to Serequel HR - and have clonazepam as a back up. Since switching, no panic! It's great, because it was beginning to interefere with work, and it's no fun driving when you'r e in the middle of an attack.

Nakake

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Selena Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:55 am

I've just started (day 3) Avanza (Mirtazapine) and it is too early to tell if it is helping the depression but it is certainly killing the anxiety. Yay!

Selena

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by honeyb31 Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:26 pm

I have larzapaine 1/2 tablet as needed and also quetiopine as well as floux for pnd have also just moved back to nelson after being in Chirstchurch for 10 years so good to be out of all the shakes and it is helping anxiety
affraid

honeyb31

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum