The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cyclothymia...

3 posters

Go down

Cyclothymia... Empty Cyclothymia...

Post by lowdown Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:10 am

A few days ago I was discussing my depression with a close friend, and commented that while the meds are stopping any major meltdowns, I still have bad periods where I can't concentrate, no motivation, sad, worried, anxious - you know, the usual suspects.

But then, for absolutely no reason I can see, I can suddenly have a few days in a row where I am on top of the world, ideas just racing through my mind, creative, able to accomplish heaps and heaps, happy, hopeful - I describe it via the line from a character in one of my favourite books after he has a bit of an epiphany who says 'everywhere I look I see something holy'.

My friend commented, was I sure I wasn't bipolar rather than depressive.

Since then I have done quite a bit of reading and have found out more about cyclothymia - and how it is described is, according to me and a couple of close friends I have run it past, me to a T.

I want to find out more about this from someone who has been diagnosed with it. From what I can see, it is periods of depression (but not major episodes of crisis) followed by a mild mania, but nowhere near the levels that bipolar folk experience.

It would certainly explain a lot about myself to me and probably to others! And would also impact on what meds would be best for me...

Anyone?

lowdown

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Cyclothymia... Empty Re: Cyclothymia...

Post by daze7 Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:11 am

Hi lowdown - I've just bumped up a topic for you under 'Ladies Room' - someone talking about cyclothymia - ... Daze
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by hopes4happiness Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:55 am

***waves hands*** heya, I was diagnosed with cyclothymia in December. The change in medication has helped tremendously!!! I was on anti-depressants which weren't helping that well, then was put on a mood stabilisers and upped the antidepressants and wa-la! I still have ups (agitation) and downs but NO WAY near as bad as what it was. Happy to talk with you anytime! I love you
hopes4happiness
hopes4happiness

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by lowdown Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:29 am

What are the meds they have you on, h4h?

I really enjoy the ups, as they are more what seems normal for me - lots of ideas flowing, cheerful, talkative, without the risky behaviour that seems to come with it for some...but would be good to get the downs sorted as am still soooooo tired on my meds (efexor).

I have decreased my meds by a whole 37.5mg the last two days so will be interesting to see how it goes...

lowdown

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by hopes4happiness Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:23 am

OH yes,.... the highs were great!!! I am not experiencing them anymore (just agitation) and still wish I experienced them, but the lows..... don't want to go there again. I am on celapram, Epilim (mood stabiliser) and Quetiapine (for sleep). Have you seen anyone to talk about your suspicions?
hopes4happiness
hopes4happiness

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down