The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reading - does it help?

3 posters

Go down

Reading - does it help? Empty Reading - does it help?

Post by Admin (Paddy) Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:03 am

I've got a few books here that you are all welcome to borrow if you think they may be of help? If you are interested, leave me a message and I'll get in touch.

study

* "Taming The Big Black Dog - A guide to overcoming depression" by Bev Aisbett. ISBN 0 7322 6757 9.

* "Mothers Matter Too - A book for New Zealand Women at home" - by Jenny Phillips. ISBN 0 474 00117 2.

* "Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway. How to turn your fear and indecison into action and confidence" - by Susan Jeffers. ISBN 0 09 974100 8.

* "Instant Calm - over 100 successful techniques for relaxing mind and body" - by Paul Wilson. ISBN 0 14 024494 8.

* "People Making" - written to help families understand and better deal with 'family' pain - by Virginia Satir. ISBN 0 285 64872 1.

* "Sharing The Load" 'What to do when someone you love is depressed' by Gwendoline Smith. ISBN 1 86941 280 X. (Note: This copy has generously been donated by one of our members, so that others may benefit. Thats a pretty special thing to do and that member has my sincere thanks and admiration.)

The only catch is, if you wanna borrow any of them, you have to pay the postage.

As and when I pick up other titles that may be of interest, I'll add them to the list. And if you have a book to recommend, or one you are looking for, mention it here - you don't know what might be lurking on peoples bookshelves.

Take care and have a great day.

Pat.

Last edited by Admin (Paddy2) on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added another book title to the 'library' listing)
Admin (Paddy)
Admin (Paddy)
Admin

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-08-16

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Reading - does it help? Empty Re: Reading - does it help?

Post by daze7 Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:17 am

Hi paddy, They're good books you have there. 'Peoplemaking' is great - I think she ways somewhere in it that at her last count there were 257 different ways of doing the dishes!! (or something like that). As I've mentioned before books have been really important to me - another good one is 'Think like a Shrink' written by a NZer Joe Dunn (Am I repeating myself!!!??) I think he works in Aus now. I heard him on the National programme a while ago now and the book sounded so interesting that I bought it. Hope you've had a reasonable day Paddy - how many shortbread make a good day?!
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin (Paddy) Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:01 am

Daze,
I'm sorry, I shoulda added my original message to yours about books. Doh. I wasn't thinking. Sorry about that, my friend.

Shortbread? The more eaten, the worse the day is how it usually works, except today I can't be bothered - not with shortbread, or anything else.

Damn, I hate feeling like this. I've had a busy morning - driven over 110km, been for a wee walk etc 'n now my legs don't want to listen to my brain when it says to them 'move damn you" and frankly, I can understand how my legs feel, cos I'm tired of hearing my brain too.

Not that I'm counting, but I've had 34 years, five months and eight days of quite severe pain and the novelty is wearing off, just a wee bit. I must be a really slow learner, cos you'da thought I'd be used to it by now, sigh. I'm 48 years old and one of the scariest things is - with my luck, I'll live to 80.

Oh joy.
Exclamation
Admin (Paddy)
Admin (Paddy)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:27 am

Hi Paddy, I wish I could wave the wand (you know the story of the wand?) and reduce your pain. Chronic pain is so stressful - I can imagine the frustration it causes you too. And it's OK to express that frustration - better out than in! Are you meeting any new people where you live now? Is there some sort of support group - I do feel it's harder for men than women to find support - and I'm glad you started this website for us all. Sounds like you've used up your 'energy quota' for today with a busy morning. A hug for you!
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi Paddy

What a kind man you are offering to loan out your books. I have one that I would like to send to you to add to your library collection. It's called sharing the load by Gwendoline Smith. Could you give me your address and I'll post it to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin (Paddy) Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:58 pm

Courtesy of a very special person here on The Big Black Dog Message Boards, we now have in our small but growing self-help library, a copy of 'Sharing The Load -What to do when someone you love is depressed' by Gwendoline Smith. ISBN 1 86941 280 X. This is a NZ book and worth reading.

If you want to borrow any books listed here, send me a Personal Message, k?
study
Admin (Paddy)
Admin (Paddy)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:47 am

Just bumping this.

Let me know if anyone wants to borrow any of these books, k?

Cheers,
Pat. study
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:32 am

Time to bring this to near the top of the Board List again.

PM me if you want to borrow any of these books, k?

Pat.
study
Paddy
Paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:55 am

Bumping, cos I'm clumsy n often walk into things.

This one was just softer than most, lol.

Pat.
study
Paddy
Paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:17 am

Bumping.

study
Paddy
Paddy

Back to top Go down

Reading - does it help? Empty Bumping

Post by Paddy Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:33 pm

I'll add books to this small list of whats sitting round at my place just waiting to be borrowed by anyone here (just send me a Personal Message via my Profile to ask for a book), once I get me sticky paws on more of them.

In the meantime, I'm reading (its a library copy) a NZ book by Dr Kim McGregor, called "Surviving & Moving On - self-help for survivors of childhood sexual abuse." ISBN 978 1 86941 805 2.
Published by Random House, 2008.

This book is a fully revised and updated edition of 'Warriors of Truth', first published in 1994.

It is going to be hard reading I suspect, but I also suspect it is a book I need to read, to help me find new skills upon which to draw when I'm heading back down.

Two of my remaining five brain cells tell me that I 'get' it intellectually about empowering myself & to become a survivor of childhood sexual and other abuses rather than remaining a victim, but damn its hard work some days convincing the other three brain cells of such good news.

I'll keep you posted on how I'm going with this book 'Surviving & Moving On' 'cos I think it might be an important one for many of us. And I might just add 'Box of Tissues' to my Tuesday Shopping List, just in case. Sad

Oh, and in case you were wondering what I'm doing here at TBBD at 2.30am - mate, me too cos I took sleeping meds & pain at 10.15 last night. Arrrrrrrgh. I need sleep. Mad
Paddy
Paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down