The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asians' resistance to depression

Go down

Asians' resistance to depression Empty Asians' resistance to depression

Post by Scamp Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:45 am

I'm intrigued about the apparent resistance Asians have against depression. I first heard this a few years ago when people were talking about why Prozac didn't really take off in Japan. It was put down to their supportive culture. I thought most people thought the same.

A group of people that I was with recently all seemed to think that Asians are a highly stressed lot. They cited Asian students here who keep fairly much to themselves, study a lot and are computer focused. I've seen some Asian students (lots actually) who think that life is one long party.

None the less, I wasn't really referring to young Asians here in New Zealand; I'm referring to differences in Asian and Western culture in general. I did a bit of searching and soon came up with lots of articles that have noticed the clear and distinct difference is numbers. Here's a link to one such article:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/09/the-depression-map-genes-culture-serotonin-and-a-side-of-pathogens/

There don't seem to be any Asians in this forum.

Any comments?
Scamp
Scamp

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2012-09-21

Back to top Go down