The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grocery Prices etc.

+4
DocLazy
logical-cents
nzmum
Paddy
8 posters

Go down

Grocery Prices etc. Empty Grocery Prices etc.

Post by Paddy Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:25 am

Me eyes watered at the supermarket today when I noticed individual prices for items compared with just last week. Ouch.

The Instant Coffee I prefer, Nescafe Espresso was $4.99 when I was first tempted by its zing in the middle of last year. Today, $6.99. A few days ago, I mumbled something when it was ‘up’ to $6.29.

Frozen Chips, a bag, supermarket own brand – two weeks ago, $2.97 – today, $3.5something.

Bread – again, own brand stuff, multi grain – up on last week.

Melting Moments biscuits – up on last week.

Bananas – down 50c on last week, I gotta admit. (Which makes me feel sorry for the pour souls who harvest them etc cos they can't be making much per kilo)

Pasta – own brand spirals – up 29c on two weeks ago.

Tinned Chef Casserole Cat food. Up. (Get a part time job, TBT – I can’t afford ya sorry).

I’m grateful the price of milk is settled for a while, but I wish the rest of the stuff was. As you can tell, I um, only buy for me, and its not an extensive shop by any means.

How are you folk managing, grocery-wise etc? Are you noticing price increases in items regularly purchased? For those with families or flat mates etc to occasionally help feed it must be getting really hard.

Paddy.
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Grocery Prices etc. Empty Re: Grocery Prices etc.

Post by nzmum Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:15 am

yea its got tuff the ole grocery shopping has. i just been this morning and man, i thought i had a cheap week sussed, still cost a packet for what i did get. its crazy.

nzmum

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2011-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:58 am

A cruel blow. My favourite Comfort Food, me Pams Shortbread – up 50c from yesterday.

What are chocolate prices like? I don’t notice them ‘cos I don’t eat it but I guess they are up too?

What other Comfort Foods are soaring in price as a matter of interest?

Paddy.
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:01 am

Cadbury's chocolate is about $4.50 a block, but ya can get it on special for $2.99 or sometimes 2 for $5. Whittakers is about $3.99 or it was the last time I looked, could of gone up by now.

We don't really get a lot of comfort foods, I will sometimes buy myself something though during the week.
logical-cents
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DocLazy Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:29 pm

I went grocery shopping today, things are definitely getting more expensive. I seem to have less and less money left over each each week.

I bought some Whittakers chocolate it was $3.50. It usually varies between $3.50-$4.00.

DocLazy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:49 pm

I am particularly appalled at the price of "basic" grocery prices

Bread, Milk and Cheese FFS its a dairy producting country and carbonated drinks are cheaper than milk. This would be a crime anywhere else.

Gone are the days of the weekend roast and bottle of plonk to go with it.

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:45 pm

No Milk, no cereal.... no cereal ???? I love my weetbix, it is the only consistent in my daily life.... the one thing that I do remember to 'take'.

After hearing the news last night I was also appalled, appalled that the government lied!

Earlier in the year the govt, froze the increase on milk... that is what I think I recall. At the time I was relieved, not just for myself, but for today's children.

Sugar is the 21st C diet.

I would happily hold up a banner, any one else want to join me? March on!!!

Poetry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebird1 Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:38 pm

Did the price of milk get frozen? I was listening to someone from Fonterra the other day saying that although we produced dairy products here in NZ we are part of a global economy so we have to pay global prices like everyone else so we better get used to it. In times of hardship it would be very nice to know that some basics at least were affordable for everyone.
Bluebird1
Bluebird1

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluezero Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:18 pm

Yip I agree with everybody the food prices have gone up. Milk, cheese and margarine has gone up. Meat has gone up too. I quit drinking diet coke 3 weeks ago because of the increases in food prices at supermarkets. I don't buy biscuits or anything like that. But I like my museli bars.
Bluezero
Bluezero

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffakiwi Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:00 pm

Or you could stop buying milk and buy 2 bottles of coke for the same price Wink Daylight robbery milk is!

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down