The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else struggle in Winter?

+3
peterpam
daze7
jaffakiwi
7 posters

Go down

Anyone else struggle in Winter? Empty Anyone else struggle in Winter?

Post by jaffakiwi Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:44 am

I find Winter so difficult. I struggle with motivation every day, but Winter makes it so much easier just not to get out of bed. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips of how to handle the cold and not to hibernate like I do!

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Anyone else struggle in Winter? Empty Re: Anyone else struggle in Winter?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:30 pm

you could

set yourself a task or two to complete each day.. things you cannot complete in bed!

contact a variety of friends every day or so.. arrange to meet somewhere for coffee. movie. chat, see an art gallery, or a museum if they are of any interest to you. They are free or close to it..

Find a favourite shop to haunt.. we go to a book shop in wn whenever we are in town. busy bees I think its called. second hand books. Browsing is free.

so is the library :-)

borrow a dog to walk. or get your own if you have the desire, big commitment and all that
borrow someones kids, take them to an indoor playground for a hour or so and give their parents some free time.

Handling the cold.. don't heat your bedroom when you are supposed to be out of bed.. make another room your cosy place.
And Make your bed as soon as you get up, that way you will be less tempted to crawl back in.!
Dress to your shoes. even if you dont normally wear shoes in the house. Have a pair that you can. when you are dressed to your shoes you are ready for business. (refer www.flylady.net)

where did I leave my knitting?

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:52 am

Some people find winter difficult. May be the lack of light - light machines are available (about $350!!!!!!!!). In britain they use them a lot and of course, there's SAD (seasonal affective disorder) where people crash in the winter, again the change in light - so the theory goes!

It is hard to keep to a routine and structure, but it can be best.

Wish you lived near me JK - we could have a coffee and chat! ... Daze
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by peterpam Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:00 am

What I love to do on horrible days like today is do something that you wouldn't do on a lovely day, such as what we did today. Went through the linen cupboard and threw every thing we dont use. Through our clothing and do the same. Such a lovely feeling to not only have things in order, but to donate good stuff to others. Hugs

peterpam

Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:24 pm

oh i so agree... i tossed out all my ols paperwork ( bills and bank statments etc) Felt fabulous!

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffakiwi Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:57 pm

hmmm your advice would work if I wanted to get out of bed i guess, but I just have no reason to. Its warmer in bed so I might as well stay here Sad

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:44 am

well you could,, but if you warmed another room you could be cosy there too. of course if you want to wallow thats ok too.

Back to top Go down

Post by qwerky90 Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:38 am

I do struggle! getting up in the dark, getting home in the dark. Being cold all the time. I agree wanting to stay in bed and not having the motivation.

You could put your alarm further away from your bed so you have to get up to turn it off? makes you get up..?

I don't know, but looking outside the window in Wellington right now, it's grey and horrible..Dark and dull. It makes me sad knowing it's going to be like this for a while yet..

But you have got through winter in the past, you know you can do it again
qwerky90
qwerky90

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2010-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by .imstillstanding. Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:33 am

Hey wow, they are great suggestions I am going to use myself - thanks!
Also, I try to get as much sun as I can....it has been raining for what seems like years but as soon as the sun is back I make myself get out in it, vitamin D is good for mood apparently.

.imstillstanding.

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:55 pm

good on you ISS... I'm afraid you wont find any sunshine here today... fingers crossed for later in the week eh?

I'm just refusing to look outside.. that way I will forget it's raining....(warning - maniacal laughter follows this broadcast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:22 am

JK - this might seem a bit obvious, but ya could make a rule, no computer in the bedroom. Then, ya Gotta Get Up to talk with us. 'Cos we'd miss ya if ya didn't.

Ya could always go lie on the couch? With a duvet and a computer?
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by earthangel4 Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:15 am

I also find winter very hard,I work 3pm till 11pm.
I am getting up later and later in the mornings,this morning it was 9.30,brrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Its raining here today but I was lucky this morning as dp came home at 9am and lit the fire,I did not know this as did not hear him,but it was all lovely and warm in the lounge this morning,so it was a good reason to get up,lol lol.
I am early to bed to night,a day off and I feel so wacked.
I have done some work today,also have put on a pork roast,so its not all bad
Hugs
Angel

earthangel4

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down