The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making a webpage . . . . . . .

4 posters

Go down

Making a webpage . . . . . . . Empty Making a webpage . . . . . . .

Post by woppow Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:01 am

Hey there.

Does anyone on the TBBD have any knowledge about how to make a website? I thought JK you have abit of computing knowledge. Or know anyone????PLEASE

Me and friend are doing a bike ride around NZ. Stopping at most major towns. But we need a website - I am running myself nuts getting this sorted once I get a chance I will post more info on here.
woppow
woppow

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2009-04-12

http://www.makeadifference.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Making a webpage . . . . . . . Empty Re: Making a webpage . . . . . . .

Post by Paddy Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 am

Wop,
Hiya, that sounds like quite a plan, good for you guys.

Here are some links to sites offering Free Website Templates. But I'd suspect you'll need a 'dot co dot nz' URL rather than some huge longone like this place, TBBD, really has.

http://www.freewebsitetemplates.com/
or maybe
https://www.blogger.com/start

Here is a link also, for one of many Internet Domain Name Registry places available in NZ - www.domains4less.co.nz - it lets you search for domain name availability and tells you costs etc.

Don't you guys forget to talke good care, not only of your physical health, but your mental health as well, hmmm? Don't forget to find out what MH services are available in each place you go through, 'cos it might be not only neighbourly and polite to meet n greet them when you're in their town, but who knows, it might draw in further support?

Somewhere I may still have on an old floppy disk the 'shell' of a Business Plan for a national-long walk that someone wanted to do, over a decade ago. There might be some hints or something in it you could benefit from, so if I find it, I'll send you copy, after PMing you.

One of the biggest hurdles the walk faced was, that although the folk involved were consumers, living in halfway houses essentially, under the 'control' of an organisation, they could not gain any 'official' interest or support and the infrastructual costs of such a jaunt were beyond their meagre resources. Also from memory, I don't think that any reputable group would lend its name or support to a venture like the walk, when it wasn't (or didn't seem to be) possible to describe the medical support and MH backup in particular. That was a big brick wall from memory - but hey, brick walls have been climbed before, aye.

Plan, plan, plan some more, then sit back, and plan. Then, plan again. You are so going to be good at planning by the time you stick ya feet on the pedals, wop. Planning like checking long-range weather forecasts and putting them up against some of the terrain to be covered, oh yeah, you will be busy.

North Island is delightfully hilly, wop. And from just north of Marton to Taupo, SH1 has some hills like you aint imagined. And it has microclimates, so minimising gear to be taken vs. what is needed to be safe may not be as simple as you first thought. But as your pic on your profile show, you know how to climb brick walls, lol. cheers
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by rob Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:10 am

If in bike you mean bicycle, let me know if you need any info on bikes and gear. Thats been my job for the past 25 years or so.

rob

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by woppow Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks Paddy.

And yes we mean bicycle. Thanks Rob I will keep that in mind!

We have a domain name makeadifference.co.nz
woppow
woppow

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:58 am

wop, I forgot to mention - Motorways.

Finding routes that avoid Motorways will add a quite a few KM to any biking or even hitching adventures. Ya have no choice but to avoid Motorways 'cos its agin the law to either walk or ride a bike on a roadway designated as Motorway.

F'rinstance, Wellington. Ya get off the Ferry, turn right at the Railway Station, up Moleswoth St (past the Beehive) and bike up Tinakori Road, meandering thru the back hills of Karori, Ngaio etc out thru Johnsonville, Tawa and Porirua, before you even find a stretch of SH1 that you can bike on legally. Plimmerton I think it is. So, do ya bike thru the suburbs, or get a local train to say, Plimmerton, and ride from there? You'd be motorway free to Hamilton then. All fun things to consider. You shall be a master of Logistical Planning by the time you've done this, wop - all excellent skills, you'll be developing.

Happy Planning. Very Happy
Paddy
Paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by jaffakiwi Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi Wop - what do you need a website for? What will be its purpose? One of the easier things to do might be to sign up for a blog site, they have lots of different templates and they make it easy. I see Paddy suggested Blogger, personally I prefer wordpress (.com).

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by woppow Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:00 am

Hey Thanks JK.

We have the website up and running!!!

PLEASE EVERYONE CHECK IT OUT and let me know what you think of it!!!
woppow
woppow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:20 am

Hi Woppow

I just checked out makeadifference.co.nz, and am so impressed with you and Sarah. Huge cheers

Awesome Wop

flower

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:54 am

Hiya Wop - hey, you know how I've been nothing but positive about your Ride, - well, this Post ain't changing that record. However...

Looking just briefly at the planned Schedule that you have up at www.makeadifference.co.nz I'd say that for instance, you have much under estimated the ride between Gisborne and Napier. JK's done that trip a lot more recently than me, but you'd not get much change out a six hour car ride, maybe five hours, but you'd be pushing it.

JK, What do reckon on the the Gizzie-Napier section?. A bit more than it looks on a road map, innit? Mind you, freewheeling down onto and over the Mohaka could be fun - if nothing was coming the other way!

Lizzie, would it help at all if those of us here who have pretty good memories of road trips done around either Island and who know the countryside and stuff, Posted what we think would be a realistic 'family driving time' between your 'Milestone' destinations? From that, you may be better able to refine your timetable and allow yourself more off the bike time ?

I can't see even Lance Armstrong being keen on trying to 'do S.H.2, Gisborne to Napier in daylight. Truely, Wop.
Oh Joy, an Overnight in Wairoa, ancestoral 'home' of my old mans 'lot'. There, and Gisborne. Please say 'Hello from Paddy' as you bike past Makaraka Cemetary on your way south out of Gisborne. My GGrandmother and assorted rellies are there.

Lizzie as well as looking really hard at Road Maps, go to the main Library in Chch and ask to see the Topographical Maps they hold for the areas you are covering. Those, much more so than the Road Maps, will indicate the nature of the terrain you are headed for. Now, I wouldn't buy a set of Topo Maps (OK, I Might, but just cos I love Maps) but I'd become real close friends with the set at the Library - each time you review a section, you will learn more and how to interpret what the Maps repesent and convert it into a pretty realistic idea what challenges you are going Kick in the Ass when ya do this.

Paddy.
Paddy
Paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down