The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

christchurch anyone who lives here could use your help

3 posters

Go down

christchurch anyone who lives here could use your help Empty christchurch anyone who lives here could use your help

Post by Garfield Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:24 am

Hello,

I currently live in palmerston north, my husband and I and our two children are thinking ofmoving to christchurch in a couple of years.
I have never even visted it, (will be in easter next year) but we were thinking of moving there to be a little closer (the same island at least) as my parents who live in blenhiem.

I suppose what I want to know is the good, the bad and the ugly about it.

I know it's everyones personal opion but at least I make my own judge to some degree and then when we visit will be able to make a good informed decesion.

What are the good places to live?
we currently rent so will be looking at doing that down there, we know pay 255.00 pw and probably dont wanna go any higher than 290.00. if not lower than 255.00 would be good.
what I do like about here is all my family (being children and husband) are quite close e.g son is 3 house from his school and daughter is 3 houses from her kindy and husband can walk to work.
I know we probably couldnt have all that.

The strange thing is would probably not like to live in the city as the smog seems to be a problem???

okay now I'm just being demanding lol can I have a hand, it's kinda scarry as I want to be close to parents because of my depression and support network, but dont wanna move to a place thats going to make my immdeate situation worse. more money and no friends. HELP!!!!!
Garfield
Garfield

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-11-02

Back to top Go down

christchurch anyone who lives here could use your help Empty Re: christchurch anyone who lives here could use your help

Post by Guest Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:26 am

Hi Garfield,

I use to live in Christchurch and did my degree at Canturbury Uni.

I use to board in Linwood and it is uite handy to town (40 min walk) or a 10 minute bike and there is a shopping mall with all you need in it (supermarket, farmers, warehouse and I think it now has moives).

Linwood is also biking distance (45min depending on how fit you are) to Brighton Beach and Bottle Lake Park for moutntain biking. Brighton has an awsome library with big picture windows overlooking the pier out to sea.

As for support there are some really good counselling services there. There are also a couple of good NGOs namely the Mental Health Education and Resource Centre. They have a free library you can use and a database of support groups. Below is there link.

Another NGO is the Depression Suppport Network which when I was part of it met bi-weekly to dixcuss and support one another. They also have a youth group if any of your kids have depression and a support group for partners. Again below is the link.

http://www.mherc.org.nz/
http://depressionsupportnetwork.org.nz

Both groups are very friendly. What I would advise is when you are down there pop in say hi and ask them about support.

There is a pool just on the outskirts of the city which is handy plus there is lots for a family to do.

If certain things out of my control hadn't happened I would proberly be liveing there again.

Enjoy your stay there.

Back to top Go down

christchurch anyone who lives here could use your help Empty Re: christchurch anyone who lives here could use your help

Post by mumtothree Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:22 am

no you can't leave i'll miss you Sad Crying or Very sad
mumtothree
mumtothree

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by peterpam Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi hun, Christchurch is a nice place to live, however accomodation is a little on the high side I think. Maybe you could look at the rentals on trademe and see if whats available for the money you can afford, would be suitable for you. Running out of time this morning and as i am out tonight will try to find time tomorrow to give more info. Pam

peterpam

Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down