The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New here..are we allowed to talk about self harm?

3 posters

Go down

New here..are we allowed to talk about self harm? Empty New here..are we allowed to talk about self harm?

Post by sam88 Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:38 am

The heading pretty much says it all Smile There isn't anywhere on here about etiquette etc so i figured i better ask first TIA
sam88
sam88

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

New here..are we allowed to talk about self harm? Empty Re: New here..are we allowed to talk about self harm?

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi there Sam

Thanks for the question - 'tis one Paddy2 should answer, as this is his site.

I guess it depends on how the discussion is slanted for example if you wanted to know ways etc then this would not be the forum for that in my books.

If you were wanting to know or talk about the things that drove you to self harm then I would say, yes this is the forum....

Lets wait for Paddy's input

Back to top Go down

New here..are we allowed to talk about self harm? Empty Re: New here..are we allowed to talk about self harm?

Post by sam88 Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Thanks for your reply. I suppose i should say a little so Paddy2 know's what i'm on about. I was just wanting to ask about safer alternitives, and if the alternative i have been doing is in fact any safer iykwim.

But yes, waiting sounds like a good idea.
sam88
sam88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:19 pm

you could even send him a personal message - just a thought.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:40 am

Hi Sam, many people on here have discussed their thoughts of self harm, many have also told of their plans on how they may carry this out. I don't recall anyone being anything but very supportive of those people while giving them many reasons why they are important people who are needed whole and intact on this planet and also this site. This is obviously not a place to put up a manual on selfharm methods though. One of the purposes of this site is for people to be able to be open about how they feel and often expressing feelings of hopelessness and the desire to self harm is an excellent release and the caring and support of people who understand can be enough to act as a deterrent. I don't think Paddy will object in any way to you, or anyone else, using this site to help themselves cope with their own particular situation. Although this is an open forum and many guests come on here, essentially it is a safe environment where people support each other and I only know of one case where a person has taken it upon themselves to take personal information off this site and pass it on unauthorised. If you are unsure of boundaries then please feel free to PM me or or as Mylife suggested you may want to ask Paddy's permission on what you can or can't post though I have never heard of anyone having to do that before. Take care and if there is anything I can help with then PLEASE send me a message, I am quite sincere in that. Judy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:11 am

What Judy said.

But its a bit long so...

Yes. You can.

Whats your alternative?

Back to top Go down

Post by sam88 Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:16 am

Thanks. It's nothing major and isn't trying to teach people methods, just an alternitave that i have been trying out, i have just been flicking a band on my wrist instead of cutting..but am wondering if infact that is alright to do? Can it cause any damage to my viens where the band is hitting or am i better off just cutting. It has left a lot of bruising. Sorry this probably sounds like a really stupid thing to ask.
sam88
sam88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:23 am

I am obviously not qualified to give you medical advice but in my own opinion I would say bruising would be a lot less harmful than cutting if for no other reason than the risk of infection with any open wound. As for damaging your veins I have no idea but suspect you have have to be banging VERY hard to cause lasting damage. Would you feel OK abut asking your doc on your next visit?

Back to top Go down

Post by logical-cents Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:26 am

Hey Sam,

Few years ago my doc told me to do that instead of cutting. He said to use a hair tie or rubber band. So if a doc can recommend it, must be ok. But yes maybe do as BB says and ask you doc next time you see them.
logical-cents
logical-cents

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:28 am

The elastic band is definitely a better option. Some treatments even recommend it, for example, those who have innapropriate thoughts are encouraged to flick the rubber band whenever those thoughts pop up... I'm not sure how effect that is but they wouldn't be recommending it if was gonna do you a lot of harm.

One of the things I sometimes do when I'm stressed is pluck body hairs. It gives the same sort of quick sharp pain. LOL... but i'm a guy so you may not have much to pluck =P

Back to top Go down

Post by sam88 Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:30 am

Thanks guys, just thought i better double check and yes i think my doctor will be asking about self harm when i go there tomorow so will tell him what i've been doing.
sam88
sam88

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_sky Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:32 am

Hi Sam.

First of all I want to say that there are many many ways we can self harm in one form or another and there are many many ways we can stop ourselves from self harming too! Im going to concentrate on the latter as god knows ive already done more then enough harm to my body.

The fact that you are searching for alternative things to do is very positive and encouraging. Perhaps you may look further into something that does not leave any marks or risk your health at all? I leave you with that question/challenge but yet I havn't really answered your question. Im sorry for that. But wish you all the best.

claire_sky

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down