The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Something I Want To Share

2 posters

Go down

Just Something I Want To Share Empty Just Something I Want To Share

Post by britelite Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:31 pm

Very Happy Hi everyone

A friend of my husband is one of three finalists for the Northland phone book cover art...this year they are letting the public vote the winner.

I was reading the local paper last night and they had this really amazing painting in it...well I thought it was...anyway I read the article attached to it and was very surprized to work out that "I know this guy!!"

My husband has been to his house and seen some of his paintings and he came home raving about Dave's ability...now I can see why!!!

I thought I would like to share this with anyone who is interested and has a couple of spare minutes...so if you go to www.yellowartawards.co.nz then you need to click into the Northland art voting section to see the 3 finalists paintings...the newspaper said that voting closes on the 21st so they may be unviewable after that.

I am not trying to drum up votes...I am just blown away by his ability and wanted to share...Dave is a truely nice person with a large dash of excentricity (sp)

Anyway...thanks for reading this and if you do go for a nosey I hope you enjoy it.
britelite
britelite

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Just Something I Want To Share Empty Re: Just Something I Want To Share

Post by claire_sky Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:26 pm

Hey cool, great comp and you can see why all 3 were finalists.

Great kiwiana there too and fish n chips are a favourite past time for many NZ'ers! The boats reminded me of being back in croatia so i guess maybe very fitting for Northland! 3 very fine artists you have there in Northland! Thanks for sharing!

claire_sky

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by britelite Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:11 pm

The fish and chip shop in the background of the first painting is the Mangonui Fish and Chip shop...that really is built on an old wharf...started life as a fish market which also sold cooked fish from off the local boats up there...I have eaten a feed from there and its is quite weird ordering your meal while you can hear the sea brushing around the pilings underneath the shop!!...the forest painting depicts the regrowth of the kauri bush and symbolizes the regeneration of Northland as a whole, as in, the people and land and communities...the third painting is of a real jetty on the Northern Wairoa River, thats the river which flows past Dargaville and empties into the Kaipara Harbour, they are all handcrafted wooden boats owned by a local family.

and I totally agree with you...there are some very fine artists up this way.
britelite
britelite

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:00 am

Thanks for sharing this with us britelite... they are all deserving of being on the yellow pages cover.. for sure.

Personally the one that grabbed me was David's one - with the jetty - the wooden boats and scenery remind me of home, such detail too. Love the sea-scape also. A very gifted artist.

flower

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:58 pm

how did your friends husband get on?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum