The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone found books helpful?

4 posters

Go down

Has anyone found books helpful? Empty Has anyone found books helpful?

Post by daze7 Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:28 am

Hi everyone, I wanted to share that I have found some books really helpful. I read a lot for quite a while as I had a lot to learn! Iris Barrow and Dr Claire Weekes write some good stuff about agraphobia, panic and anxiety. (I used to have panic attacks, which I found horrendous). I have probably been depressed since I was a child - my home was not a safe place at times and was probably quite oppressive - and oppression can lead to depression. Have you any books to recommend? I use daily reading books to help me get out of bed some days! I'm an adult child of an alcoholic (among other things!). Bye for now, Daze7
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Has anyone found books helpful? Empty Re: Has anyone found books helpful?

Post by attica Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:16 am

Just being able to to read a book is blessing to some. I have always been a reader of as much as I can, but the illness at its most damaging affected my eyes and memory etc. I am back to reading now and it is wonderful. Luckily I find I can remember what I have read before long ago. I do find reading science magazines and factual type material is helpful when I am struggling with confusion, as it helps me to calm down. ( I have some autistic tendencies) I read in the evening to go to sleep. Lately I have begun to read more novels and am presently reading as much Phillip K. Dick as I can. Very strange and fun, but probably not everyones cup of tea. It is lovely to become absorbed in a book.
attica
attica

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by beanie Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:15 am

I love reading but sometimes when I'm really sick, I can't read.
If anyone is able to read & wants to laugh out loud, I thoroughly recommend "Full Circle" by Bob Jones.
To any ladies here who have lost or were abandoned by their mothers, "Motherless Daughters" is highly recommended.
My mum died when I was 8 & I didn't realise how much it had impacted on my life till I read that book when I was 40yrs old. My father remarried 3 yrs later & my sister & I weren't allowed to mention my mum in case it offended my stepmother. We also weren't allowed to mention (even to this day) that stepmum was a nasty violent person who thought nothing of picking up chairs & hitting us with them for no other reason than she was pissed of with my dad & us being his daughters were "just as bad as him". Ah, the good old days!! Sorry, going of subject here but I just thought about that & had to rant.
beanie
beanie

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by attica Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:37 am

That's one way reading a piece of writing can be helpful. Even if you think you are going off topic, by identifying with what you read, somehow we are trying to put events in the right place for us.
It might feel as if you are purposefully triggering yourself with what you read or see, but I do not think triggering is bad in itself, it is an opportunity to process something in a new way. That is why I read and interact with these posts.
I do like material ( books, film, music) that takes me to another place, hence I have always been fond of science fiction, but nothing beats a well written story whatever it is about. Just oneself and the story.
When I first struggled with mental illness 15 years ago, I was able to get lost in Terry Pratchett's Discworld. However, repeated bouts do affect cognition. I'm glad the Discworld was there for me when I first got sick.
Reading Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was great because I could dip in and out of it. It didn't really require a linear mental process. Very funny and dark too.
attica
attica

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by daze7 Wed May 13, 2009 9:19 pm

Another good book I read a while ago - and have recently got my own copy from Trademe is:

'Healing the Child Within' ... Charles Whitfield

(Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families)

Dr Whitfield in 'Healing the Child Within' describes the journey of discovery and healing our fears, confusion and unhappiness. This book begins where many others describing adult children of alcoholics have left off. It also describes and develops the concept of 'adult children of troubled or dysfunctional families' in general, rather than focussing only on the alcoholic family.
daze7
daze7

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 13, 2009 10:13 pm

Hi all

Louise Hay has some good books too: you can heal your life being one that i read when i was in my 20s and was anorexic....... Lots of mirror work grrr. But it did work.
At present am reading historical fiction..... I could never understand certain events in history in particular - Germany - and why the world sat by silent for so long...... anyway the outcome being in the last couple of days is 'enough' - I received a short story a couple of days ago written about a mystical garden - full of beautiful scenery and fairies etc... it prompted me to look up fairy tales Smile Don't worry this is going somewhere...anyway.

My inner child for 4 hours read and read - and i felt this release. I have tried to understand the world for so long.... immersing myself in literature of this genre has sparked a wanting to read lighter - more humorous books. a good move I believe. I will never be able to understand 'the world' or why my world crumbled - or why as a child i was subjected to things i was..

As for healing Daze -books you and others have mentioned and also web sites have helped enormously to get to this point. I want to say goodbye to the past....

So I will look for new authors - magical ones , funny ones , and ones filled with hope.

I don't like the past - but it does surface and yes it does have to be dealt with..... but escape is awesome too.....

(((HUGS)))) to us survivors!!!!

Poetry
I love you

Last edited by poetry on Mon May 25, 2009 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by claire_sky Thu May 14, 2009 2:15 am

Hi guys,

Huge confession here, im not a book worm. Never have been either. I think it was something to do with ADHD growing up or something but i lacked the concentration or so it said on my school reports hehe. Just the other day the doctor asked me if i have any new hobbies, my reply was, hobbies? I dont have hobbies - i just live. Sad really. You guys have inspired me to pick up one of my many books people have bought me for birthdays/xmas's over the years and ive never even opened the front cover! Actually all your posts and recommendations have been really positive so i may look into a book that offers some advice or at least understanding for me and my situation. Cheers guys.

claire_sky

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 14, 2009 4:25 am

good for you Claire! What are you going to read first?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum