The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Admitting weakness can work out in your favour!

5 posters

Go down

Admitting weakness can work out in your favour! Empty Admitting weakness can work out in your favour!

Post by lowdown Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:41 am

I've never been one to admit when I can't do something, but just to keep plugging on until it gets done, no matter the toll on my physical or mental health.

After a few weeks on this site, discovering that a lot of us on here share that 'superwoman/man' complex, I decided to call it quits on a few projects (paid and non paid) that were getting too much for me.

One of the hardest ones was telling the chair of a trust that I do a day's work for a week that my health wasn't good (I didn't specify why) and was unlikely to be able to continue on with my work for them.

The outcome was interesting: board discussed it, and have offered me another 6 month contract with adjustments made and hours worked as I feel able to do so. Talk about flexible!!

Now that they are aware of my limitations, I feel quite comfortable telling them when I can't handle any more work than I have, and what projects will have to wait until I can cope with them - no further explanations needed.

Talk about a weight off my shoulders. I wish I'd made this move some time ago so that I could be given a bit of slack, instead of trying to kill myself stressing and working myself to bits Surprised

lowdown

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Admitting weakness can work out in your favour! Empty Re: Admitting weakness can work out in your favour!

Post by greasemonkey Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:45 am

honesty is the Way!

organising ones time,involves stepping back and seeing the whole picture.
When One brings into play HONESTY,
you become much more effective
simply by removing stress.

Truth seems to dissolve untruth!

Last edited by greasemonkey on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Number of posts : 940
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Admitting weakness can work out in your favour! Empty Re: Admitting weakness can work out in your favour!

Post by spacedman Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:46 am

BRAVO cheers

spacedman

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:06 am

The hardest thing is admitting yourself your own limitations.

When I relapsed last year pet of the problem was I had taken on far too much and did not admit it.

I have had some intresting discussion recently with members on here about things which seem to have recently fallen into place for me and about not over reaching myself.

I have always been an active person, I just now need to learn to balance it.

I now have the time to learn that balance and I think I may have some of it by only doing part-time study, casual contracts for work through a temping agency and focuseing on my recovery.

Back to top Go down

Post by lil_miss_haley Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:00 am

Thats so fantastic low!! And great for you too rossy.

Im guilty of taking on too much. Iv done it forever, maybe it started whenI was a kid and did ballet, taekwondo, swimming, gymnastics, then horse riding, then having 7 of my own horses, and now working. Its what I do to cope, I find myself doing more the more upset I get. I find it hard to do nothing because I always feel like I should do something. As some of you know im usless at resting even when Im injured with my dislocated shoulder.
lil_miss_haley
lil_miss_haley

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by lowdown Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:56 am

So....we are all overachievers who have reached our 'use by' date and need to now powerdown to a different lifestyle Very Happy

lowdown

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenMonsta Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:00 am

Wow Low

I am so pleased to hear that you have made such a positive decision and that in doing so things have worked out so well.

Well done lovely Low

Hugs

Monsta
ZenMonsta
ZenMonsta

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by greasemonkey Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:24 am

Lifesyles can be listed
in another thread?
or here?

Great site!
greasemonkey
greasemonkey

Number of posts : 940
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down