The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Pharmac-Approved Medication information.

Go down

New Pharmac-Approved Medication information. Empty New Pharmac-Approved Medication information.

Post by Paddy Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:36 am

With apologies to TV3 News n their website n the laws of copyright etc (please don't sue me, I'm skint already), I have taken the liberty of copying their story of 01 December 2008 regarding an alternative medication just approved by Pharmac for funding.

----------------

"New drug for schizophrenia offers relief from weight gain
Mon, 01 Dec 2008 3:06p.m.

An alternative antipsychotic drug which causes less weight gain than older treatments has been funded for those with schizophrenic disorders by New Zealand’s drug buying agency Pharmac.

Patients would be able to get the drug, Amisulpride (Solian), from today, which has been funded without restrictions.

Pharmac’s medical director Peter Moodie said increasing the range of schizophrenic treatments had benefits for a condition that was difficult to treat.

"Over recent years some of the older antipsychotic treatments have been discontinued and so increasing the choice of medicines is an advantage," he said.

He also confirmed Amisulpride was less likely to cause weight gain than other antipsychotics.

The agreement also saw injection and suppository formulations of the antinausea treatment prochlorperazine (Stemetil) becoming fully funded.

Antipsychotic drugs cost Pharmac more than $60 million a year, one of the agency’s highest expenditure groups,

3 News"
Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum