The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HYPNOTHERAPY

+4
Paddy
mumtothree
jaffakiwi
JaeBee
8 posters

Go down

HYPNOTHERAPY Empty HYPNOTHERAPY

Post by JaeBee Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:00 am

As part my quest to either manage or get rid of depression I am going to try hypnosis.

Have any of you ever been to a hypnotherapist? How'd you find it? Can you recommend one in the Palmerston Nth, Manawatu/Horowhenua region?

I am determined not to let depression rule my life. Planning on purchasing the Depression Workbook that was reccomended to me by someone on here. I will continue taking meds, and when I see my Doc today (for spider bite!) I am going to ask for some more info/advice from him. I've also read the book The Secret, I'd reccommend this book to anyone. Its also avaliable in DVD/video form, google it.

Coments are welcome and I will let you know how I go with hypnotherapy, hopefully it will help me and could help you too!

JaeBee

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-12-05

Back to top Go down

HYPNOTHERAPY Empty Re: HYPNOTHERAPY

Post by jaffakiwi Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:52 am

Personally I believe that hypnotherapy is a lot of hogwash.

Hypnotherapy is simply a state of deeper relaxation. If you feel that you find regular counselling difficult because you are too anxious for the messages to sink in, hypnotherapy might be helpful.

jaffakiwi

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by mumtothree Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:23 am

hay i live in palmerston north and have heard good things about a Wendy sorry can't remember her last name but she has a small office at home in colyton i have talk to her and she says it is a good way to move forward.

She records your sessions for you so you know what has been said and i thought that was good i'm going to give her a go next year myself.
mumtothree
mumtothree

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2009-08-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:29 am

I would not personally recommend http://www.hypnotherapy.school.nz/which is Steve Shaw, Palmerston North .

I've not met him or know anyone who has been to him. I simply cannot accept the statements he makes on his website about his abilityto rid one of depression, and how to throw away the meds etc.

Sorry, I don't know of anyone there I can recommend, but yeah, I wouldn't personally trust the credibility of the claims made for the 'service' offered by this Shaw chappie.

Paddy.

Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:42 am

Dear JaeBee

Please save your cash. I went to a chap in Wanganui who I believed was going to relieve me of my depression, after $800.00 I realised it was only me, meds and the right psychiatrist who could do this.

The right psychiatrist cost less in the long run and I am OK and looking forward to this Christmas and have hope for the New Year.

Martine

Number of posts : 367
Registration date : 2009-12-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Apricot Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:51 pm

Do remember the library. They often have self help cds etc.....a way of trying without the expense.

Give them a go.

Apricot.
Apricot
Apricot

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2009-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by JaeBee Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:09 pm

I spoke with a hypnotherapist over the phone and he seemed confident he could make a difference with just one session. I think I'll give it a go, I mean whats the harm in trying and I'll never know if I don't give it a go. He also strongly recommended stopping the meds if I thought I could especially the days leading up to the session - he said they mask the symptoms of the problem not the actual problem, which kind of makes sense. He said something like 85% of our thinking happens sub-consciously so something can be bothering you without you being able to identify what it is.
Right now I am willing to try absolutly ANYTHING.
Bad start to the new year so far I've been a mess.

JaeBee

Back to top Go down

Post by mumtothree Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:21 pm

hi can you please let me know how it goes for you looking into it also. not sure about coming off medz though
mumtothree
mumtothree

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Oh darn.

'What is the harm in trying', you ask?

Um, its in the bit where ya say ...

"He also strongly recommended stopping the meds if I thought I could especially the days leading up to the session - he said they mask the symptoms of the problem not the actual problem, which kind of makes sense. He said something like 85% of our thinking happens sub-consciously so something can be bothering you without you being able to identify what it is.

In my opinion, this is a very risky thing to say and suggest.

No health professional belonging to any recognised professional body with a compulsory Code of Ethical Practice etc would dare make such claims or suggestions about dumping the meds etc. Why? Cos its not safe or best practice.

People practising as hynotherapists in NZ do not have compulsory standards of 'practice' or oversight from any organisation.

There just ain't no way a hypnotherapy session (or any number of sessions) is going to kick start ones brain to produce chemicals that we need, if ones brain can't produce them themselves. It simply can not happen. If our brains could, take my word for it, they already would be.

Is there a place for 'hypnotherapy' in NZ? Yep, but it has to be clinical hypnotherapy which should require a full consult simply to learn of your medical and social history etc, leading to the development of an individual therapy plan, including liaison if necessary, with true health professionals.

It might be OK for confidence building, quitting smoking or a few other things, but it just isn't right for a practitioner to tell a stranger to throw away the meds.

If you would like to, I can lend you a reasonable book on self hypnosis etc, but not if you stop the meds on this chaps recommendation. I simply won't be part of something that intrinsically unsafe, sorry.

JaeBee if you'd like to talk off forum, feel free to either send me a Personal Message here, or even email me at home - patq60@xtra.co.nz.

Take very gentle care eh, and please think really hard about what you plan to do, because there are real risks involved.

Paddy.

Paddy
Paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by DocLazy Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:12 am

www.hypnotherapy.school.nz" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.google.com/search?q=page+site:www.hypnotherapy.school.nz (click on cached if you want to have a look at any of the pages).

That guy really is a nut job. From his site:
"Common side affects of anti depressants are:...
Sexual Dysfunction, including Paedophiliac tendencies"

From what info I could gather about hypnotherapy, using my google foo. It's usually used as a confidence booster, for things like anxiety, stress etc. In other words its basically another relaxation technique. Nowhere could I find any research saying it was effective for depression or any other mental illness, with the exception of anxiety disorders.

DocLazy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by mumtothree Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:06 am

Hay not sure where you live but try this person WENDY MORRISON she will work with you and will if need be work with your doctor to help you with the best possible care when i spoke to her she said that she would have to talk to my doctor first and would work alonside them give her ago in the yellow pages
mumtothree
mumtothree

Back to top Go down

Post by JaeBee Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:19 pm

I have an appointment to see the hypnotherapist in a couple of weeks. I will let you all know how I get on. Some people are dead against this type of therapy and others I've talked to swear by it so I am trying to keep an open mind but at the same time not raise my hopes. We shall see.

To be continued...

JaeBee

Back to top Go down

Post by mumtothree Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:52 pm

Who did you decide to go and see
mumtothree
mumtothree

Back to top Go down

Post by JaeBee Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 am

Steve Shaw. I've read what Paddy said (above) about him and his claims and can totally see where Paddy is coming from with his comments and he might be exactly right but I am desperate.

JaeBee

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:05 am

Jaebee depression is an illness, truly you know this.

Hypnotists are quacks and charlatans who lull the desperate into a false sense of well-being or confidence while they remove their money from them.

I did it and spent a lot of cash on a hypnotist.

Martine

Back to top Go down

Post by Paddy Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:18 am

JaeBee,

Nooooooo, don't do it. Please?

Before your sense of desperation overwhelms you, have a look on TradeMe http://www.trademe.co.nz/Health-beauty/Naturopathy/Hypnosis/mcat-4798-4799-7674-.htm and you will see a big offering of all sorts of claims.

May I make a suggestion?

I'm not sure where in the region you live, but if you are able to travel, either by bus or some other means to Marton, where I live, then we may be able have a 'you talk, I listen' session followed by a few scraps of wise words I've gathered over the years. We can talk about hypnosis (we can talk about absolutely anything), and you can take the book with you and return it at at a time of your choosing. I'll even pay $50.00 cash toward a Steve Shaw 'session' if you truly don't find our chat helpful.

Whatever you decide, please don't let that sense of desperation over ride your brains own good thoughts and decisions.

Paddy.

P.S. That cash back offer don't apply to nobody else, so stop eyeing up me wallet, youse lot. Wink
Paddy
Paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebird1 Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:33 am

In my opinion the success of hypnotherapy depends very much on the both the patient and the therapist they choose. I don't see any reason at all why hynotherpay IN CONJUNCTION with prescribed medication can't work very well for some. I would be very worried about a person going off their medication without the advice and blessing of their medical professional. Another option is that there are doctors out there who are medical doctors who also practise alternative methods to promote and maintain wellness. I went to one in Auckland years ago and found their holistic approach a refreshing change from the five minute prescription writing appointments with regular GP's. The downside is they are quite expensive BUT as they are registered doctors if you have medical insurance you can claim in the same way that you claim for any other doctor.
Bluebird1
Bluebird1

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Martine Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:37 am

Fair comment Bluebird.

Anybody who tells you to flick the meds is a hustler truly.

I hope that the hypnotist has the counselling skills to deal with whatever pathway the client takes him / her down. They are not equipped to handle the needs / illnesses of some people.

Martine

Back to top Go down

Post by mumtothree Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:38 am

hay jaebee have you been for your session yet i was just wondering how it went and did you find that it helped any.
mumtothree
mumtothree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down