The Big Black Dog Message Board & Chat Room (TBBD)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Use of police tasers

2 posters

Go down

Use of police tasers Empty Use of police tasers

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:12 am

Research has been released fron the University of Auckland showing the Police are using tasers on mentally ill people, despite the Police Commissoner and the Police Union swearing black and blue this would not happen. Overseas research was used at the time by people within the mental health sector highlighting the alarming instances of police tasers being used on some who is unwell. Article from stuff.co.nz (15/12/10) below:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/4461319/Tasers-fired-in-mental-health-cases

Back to top Go down

Use of police tasers Empty Re: Use of police tasers

Post by Paddy Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:46 am

Well spotted, Roswell - I was just about to post something the same.

Lucky, aren't we, eh?

Tasers and soon, pistols and rifles available on a whim to every Policeman or Policewoman attending a mental health related call.

If one was a cop, why wouldya leave the firearms locked up in the car? How embarrassing is it going to be for them, when another police car gets stolen? The next car to be nicked and which has a lock box for Police firearms, will give the excuse they need to all carry personal weapons at any time.

Sheesh, if they deploy in a situation where they think they might need to Taser someone to get 'compliance' then I don't think it will be long before they start shooting unwell folk whom the authorities think might be 'dangerous.'

I can't see that the poor officer who was machetted the other day would have had a 'better' outcome if he was armed with a pistol on his hip - quite the opposite probably, since he was attacked from behind and slashed to the ground. How hard would it've been to reach down, undo a holster clip, take the pistol from the disabled officer and use it? Either on the officer, or someone else?

I don't think the risk to Police comes from the greater and recognised mental health community - it comes from 'normal, model citizens' like the two teens who stole the car, attacked the officer, tried to burn the car by arson, and then crashed it.

If firearms are to deployed at a 'mental health' callout, I have a suggestion for the Police. The goodly folk who lock us up in these 'Bins' have can have rubber rooms for us, can't ya at least get some rubber bullets?

Routine Suicide by Cop. Just what we need, another 'way out'.

I gotta say, I'd be highly annoyed to be shot 'n killed over a bit of a carry on say, over wanting a ciggie when I'm desperately unwell.

Oh Joy.

Paddy.

Paddy
Paddy

Number of posts : 1607
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.thebigblackdog.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:56 am

Good points Paddy. I have had discussions with a couple of people over the machete incident up north, includeing a friend who is an ex cop from Australia. You are right in saying that a pistol would not have helpped in this case as he was attacked from behind. My cop friend said if the cop had had a side arm it is likely it would have been taken and use against him. Then there would also be another firearm on the loose.

My cop friend is against arming "general patrol" officers. You arm the cops the "bad guys" will arm themselves more.

As it is Police have a wider access to firearms then the general public believe. At night senior officers are armed with a glock. I know this cos I had a senior officer come in one night to return my property and he was armed, so I asked him about it. Also bushmen rifles are stored in the boot of a number of patrol cars.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:17 am

prob should keep that quiet... sshhhh

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebird1 Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:42 pm

I have mixed feelings about the tazers. I don't think they have any place at all in purpose built mental health facilities such as the ones in hospitals as they have panic buttons all over the place and teams of staff trained in subduing and if necessary, restraining people. On the other hand in the smaller facilities where people live who are not well enough to live in the community alone things can get tough when someone suddenly becomes very unwell. All I can say is that when a very unwell person bailed me up against a wall with his hands around my throat squeezing hard I would have been very happy to see a cop turn up with a tazer in his hand.
Bluebird1
Bluebird1

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum